Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Dometic digital thermostat

Posted By: time2roll on 03/23/13 05:55pm

Been wanting to go with a digital thermostat but I was not very excited about using the battery powered home units for the conversion. Then found out Dometic has a new thermostat and control board.

So if you have this thermostat:

[image]

And you want something like this:
(I fixed those extra holes BTW)

[image]

Here is the kit:

Dometic Single Zone LCD Control Kit w/ Thermostat White 3313189.000 $75

Here is the kit pictured:

clockwise from top left. freeze sensor, spade terminals to crimp onto your furnace control wires, wall thermostat, mounting screws, control box, wire harness.

[image]

This is the old box up in the air unit

[image]

Here is the new box. Much smaller should also allow better air flow through the inlet filter.

[image]

Old box with the gaggle of wires. Actually fairly simple.

Paired white/black are 12v supply.
Blue/white is control connection to furnace.
Yellow is 120v power bundle.
Black to the left is the freeze sensor.
Brown is the bundle from the old thermostat.

Everything is either cut or disconnected to remove the old box.

[image]

New box connected to romex

[image]

The kit comes with a wire harness to connect to 12v and the thermostat cable. Only three wires are used for the new thermostat. 12+, 12-, & one control wire. I used Red, Black, Orange as that matches the harness.

This is the new box with snap connectors:

[image]

The heater control wires connect to the two spade terminals on the left. Thermostat control harness snaps into the four pin middle connector. Freeze sensor on the two pin connector to the right. Romex goes in at the far right. Power and control to the air conditioner uses oem harness that plugs in on the back side.

Worked perfect right out of the box. Well OK I had to buy some spade connectors as the oem wire to the furnace was a larger size. And some crimp connectors (not included) to connect the 12v thermostat harness.

Here is the user manual for those that want more operating details:
Dometic single zone digital operating instructions

Inspired by member BuffaloIndian in this thread:
Anyone Replaced Dometic Thermostat: Analog to Digital?

* This post was last edited 11/24/17 03:40pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Posted By: downtheroad on 03/23/13 07:48pm

Nice mod and nice write up.
I looked at them and was interested but just didn't like the price as compared to the $25 I spent on mine + the $3 for a high low fan switch.

Just wondering why you were, "not very excited about using the battery powered home units?"

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Posted By: time2roll on 03/23/13 10:58pm

I just have a preference to everthing running off 12v. I realize if you change batteries once a year all is fine. The add-on fan switch also is just not my style. BTW the Dometic has an automatic fan speed setting. Nothing wrong with the lower cost thermostat. It may even have more features like programability to set back temps based on time.

I did have a delay on the blower fan start to let the compressor start by itself on a marginal generator. That feature is now gone but I have found I really will not be using a generator to run the air for extended periods. At that point we are looking for hookups.

The price did not bother me a bit. Same as if the fridge control board went out I would not opt for a lower priced board if it relied on batteries. Reminds me it is time to change batteries in the smoke detector and CO detector [emoticon] Why can't those be 12v connected?

I also found the existing freeze sensor in a bad spot. The new sensor seems better IMO and I have had an issue a few times.

Anyway it is just another option if considering a change.

Posted By: motorcycle jack on 03/24/13 06:44am

I guess some units use batteries but my two zone setup has the thermostat wired into the RV's 12V. so no battery. Same with the fire and CO units. I learned something - I thought all RV's were wired this way!

John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

Posted By: katysdad on 03/24/13 12:14pm

Was told by parts dept that the analog thermostat is no longer available from Dometic, that you must use the new upgrade kit now if replacing the thermostat. Anyone else heard this?

Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

Posted By: time2roll on 03/25/13 09:01pm

I think I read that also. Need a spare [emoticon]

Posted By: lj2654 on 04/05/13 11:36am

Katysdad, I just had my thermostat replaced and was told the analog is no longer available. New digital works great and much more precise....

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Posted By: john b on 04/05/13 11:47am

downtheroad wrote:

Nice mod and nice write up.
I looked at them and was interested but just didn't like the price as compared to the $25 I spent on mine + the $3 for a high low fan switch.

Just wondering why you were, "not very excited about using the battery powered home units?"

I started putting programable t stats in my units starting in the early 2000s as those $2:00 factory junk units do nothing to maintain a heat level..
My current unit has a dometic do it all and I sure would like to have my old type units back in here,my wife sat for an hour or more reading to try to figure out how to just do the very basic functions with the blame thing. It now works OK but not inpressionable to me !!Keep things simple because if they aint broke why fix them..

2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

Posted By: time2roll on 04/07/13 10:58pm

The single zone thermostat that I installed is not programmable.

Although it is rather easy to use. This weekend DW had the air cranking before I could get the stabilizers down. So much for showing off the new thermostat. It worked beautifully and maintained temperature perfectly. Certainly far better than the old style.

BTW don't have a vent pointed right at the thermostat [emoticon]

Posted By: ryanallie1 on 04/15/13 06:58am

smkettner wrote:

I just have a preference to everthing running off 12v. I realize if you change batteries once a year all is fine. The add-on fan switch also is just not my style. BTW the Dometic has an automatic fan speed setting. Nothing wrong with the lower cost thermostat. It may even have more features like programability to set back temps based on time.

I did have a delay on the blower fan start to let the compressor start by itself on a marginal generator. That feature is now gone but I have found I really will not be using a generator to run the air for extended periods. At that point we are looking for hookups.

The price did not bother me a bit. Same as if the fridge control board went out I would not opt for a lower priced board if it relied on batteries. Reminds me it is time to change batteries in the smoke detector and CO detector [emoticon] Why can't those be 12v connected?

I also found the existing freeze sensor in a bad spot. The new sensor seems better IMO and I have had an issue a few times.

Anyway it is just another option if considering a change.

Hi All.

So, What is stopping you from doing just that ?. Our Motorhome has everything hard wired to the 12 Volt System. I went out and bought all new "Batery Operatd Units",

We have Double of everything now, except for the "Smoke Detectors", we have if I remember correctly about 7 Smoke Alarms. As fast as an RV Burns to the ground, its nice to have a few extra "Smoke Alarms".

They do give you a bit more notice if there is a fire inside of our Motorhome. Works out for us anyways.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Posted By: PJMAX on 04/18/13 05:08am

I enquired about getting one of these stats and was told I need my unit make serial number and model number. Are these the right questions or just as long as it is a Dometic it should work? PJD

Posted By: Chris Bryant on 04/18/13 08:19am

PJDuramax wrote:

I enquired about getting one of these stats and was told I need my unit make serial number and model number. Are these the right questions or just as long as it is a Dometic it should work? PJD

While it can be made to work, some models have the electronics in the unit itself, and not in a separate enclosure, so you really do need the Model number.

FWIW, Dometic has restocked the original Analog thermostats, due to customer demand.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Posted By: time2roll on 04/18/13 09:11am

PJDuramax wrote:

I am pretty sure if you have a control box then this is the item you need. If you have a heat pump or heat strip those have separate part numbers.

Remove the inside trim and take a pic. Model # etc will be there also.

Posted By: time2roll on 04/18/13 09:13am

FWIW the digital works better than the analog.
JMHO

Posted By: time2roll on 06/19/13 10:29pm

This short description may help with the wiring to the thermostat:

Seemed tricky but it is easy in the end. If you think you will get crossed up then put some tape on your wires to mark them before you cut.

The way mine worked there are two 12+ wires coming from the RV ceiling. These are black as shown in the thread pics. 6th pic I think. These two 12+ wires need to be reconnected to each other and with the 12+ to the box. So 3 wires connected in a bundle for the 12+. The box harness wire is red and is labeled.

The box has a red/white stripe wire to feed 12v+ to the thermostat. I connected to the red wire in the thermostat bundle to be consistent. Then when you get to the actual thermostat you connect the red wire to the 12+ terminal. Done with 12+.

Similar with 12-. Four wires to connect in the ceiling. The RV 12- are white, box harness is black, I used the black in the thermostat bundle. Then at the thermostat the black is connected to the 12- terminal. Done with 12-.

Last is the signal wire. Just two connect in the ceiling. Box harness is orange so I used the orange wire in the bundle. At the thermostat connect the orange wire to the signal terminal. Done with signal wire.

Color to the thermostat does not particularly matter as long as the 12+, 12-, & signal wire connect same in the ceiling as the thermostat. If you think you might get red/orange mixed up then use green or blue for the signal wire. The unused wires just get folded back out of the way. The replacement is actually a simpler connection than the existing.

Then connect the 120v power, freeze sensor and the heater control wires. Done.

* This post was edited 04/05/14 01:54pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: gclark on 07/14/13 06:59pm

I installed this kit today to replace an analog stat and board due to a bad relay. I wired everything up as you did (I think,), but the 12v power wire to the t-stat doesn't have power coming out of the box and going to the t-stat. Any thoughts on where my problem may be?

Gary

Posted By: time2roll on 07/14/13 10:05pm

afaik as long as you have 12v going into the box you should have 12v going to the thermostat connectors. First thing is to verify the 12v in and polarity. Black is usually 12v+, white is 12v-. Check with a multimeter.

Posted By: gclark on 07/16/13 06:11am

Thanks. After checking everything out again and calling dometic, they suggested that this board was malfunctioning. I returned it to Camping World and should have a replacement tomorrow. Hopefully this one will work properly.

Posted By: walleyeb1 on 09/28/13 02:40pm

I've got the old thermostat and just started having an issue. When AC runs through the cycle and the blower shuts down there's a humming noise coming from the ceiling box. If I trip the breaker on and off sometimes it goes away sometimes not. Could the problem be with the thermostat? Any suggestions?

Posted By: junebob on 10/11/13 02:46pm

I'm confused about the wiring instructions you gave. It sounds like there should be 5, not 4, wires in the +12 bundle:

1. Current black wire #1
2. Current black wire #2
3. New +12 red wire (from supply)
4. New +12 red/white wire (to T-stat)
5. Small red wire going to thermostat

Agree? I would hate to fry something since there are no wiring instructions with this kit.

Posted By: time2roll on 10/11/13 03:17pm

My trailer has two B+ & two B- coming out of the ceiling.

Control board needs B+ & B-

Thermostat needs B+ & B-

So I connected the four B- together.

The box has a 12v+ to feed the thermostat. The Box B+ connects with the two B+ supply wires from the ceiling. (all 12v)

And one signal wire to the thermostat.

Everything in the kit is well labeled and should be straight forward.

* This post was edited 04/05/14 02:03pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: jetcare on 10/11/13 07:21pm

walleyeb1 wrote:

I've got the old thermostat and just started having an issue. When AC runs through the cycle and the blower shuts down there's a humming noise coming from the ceiling box. If I trip the breaker on and off sometimes it goes away sometimes not. Could the problem be with the thermostat? Any suggestions?

It sounds like the relay for the compressor is sticking closed allowing the compressor to be powered up when the fan turns off. Turning off the breaker takes power away from the relay allowing the compressor to shut down. The humming noise will always go away when you turn the Air-conditioner breaker off if you have a relay issue. The relay is located inside the control box in the ceiling assembly. If this is the case, you need to buy the new control box and thermostat. They come in one kit.

2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

Posted By: Fisherguy on 10/21/13 08:37pm

smkettner wrote:

Been wanting to go with a digital thermostat but I was not very excited about using the battery powered home units for the conversion. Then found out Dometic has a new thermostat and control board.

So if you have this thermostat:

[image]

And you want something like this:
(I fixed those extra holes BTW)

[image]

Is the3 new unit that much smaller that it won't cover the old mounting screw locations? How did you fix those holes?

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line
480 watts of solar

Posted By: time2roll on 10/21/13 08:49pm

Holes were drilled in confidence that a different 12v thermostat would work.... and well it did not [emoticon]
I will chock that up to learning experience for the readers to benefit.
Although it is smaller so you may have one hole to fix. Or might be able to be positioned to cover both. Did not really verify.

To fix I used pressure to flatten the small ridge from drilling. Filled with silicone caulk. Then using a razor knife cut a small amount of wall paper material from an unseen area under the bedroom window. Cut it down to minimal size (2 or 3 mm) and is held in place with the silicone. Not perfect but you would not see it unless pointed out.

Posted By: Fisherguy on 10/21/13 09:03pm

Clever fix, thanks.
Not sure if I should do this one or the Hunter which is hard to find now but I guess any battery operated unit would work.
Like the looks of this especially not having the switch hanging out the side of it.

Posted By: time2roll on 10/21/13 09:08pm

It does have an automatic high/low for the cooling fan. Or manual choice.
It is NOT programmable. So if you set it low and want heat to come up automatic in the morning this thermostat does not. You need to get up and adjust.

I just prefer oem stuff when possible and never a battery replacement.

Posted By: HouseApe on 10/21/13 09:59pm

Fisherguy wrote:

Clever fix, thanks.
Not sure if I should do this one or the Hunter which is hard to find now but I guess any battery operated unit would work.
Like the looks of this especially not having the switch hanging out the side of it.

Ya the switch looks ugly. The Hunter is easy to find at Walmart and is way less than the dometic.

2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS

Posted By: Seattle Lion on 02/03/14 10:51am

Our TT is fairly new. Bought it last June. It has a digital thermostat. We have had a big problem with it and with our dealer understanding the problem.

The thermostat seems to "think" it is 10 degrees cooler than it actually is. For example, last summer it was in the 90's outside. We set the thermostat to 70. The AC ran for a while and then the thermostat shut it off. The actual temperature as measured by a digital thermometer was 82 degrees in the TT. I lowered the thermostat to the lowest temp...68 I think...and the AC ran again and once more shut off at 80 deg. The heat mode was similar.

The dealer said the thermostat was ok because the thermometer built in to the thermostat agreed with the setting when heat and ac turned off. I tried to explain that the thermometer in the thermostat was wrong. So frustrating! Obviously, I am not a fan of this thermostat. I would love to replace it.

2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

Posted By: Seattle Lion on 02/03/14 11:04am

Our TT is fairly new. Bought it last June. It has a digital thermostat. We have had a big problem with it and with our dealer understanding the problem.

The thermostat seems to "think" it is 10 degrees cooler than it actually is. For example, last summer it was in the 90's outside. We set the thermostat to 70. The AC ran for a while and then the thermostat shut it off. The actual temperature as measured by a digital thermometer was 82 degrees in the TT. I lowered the thermostat to the lowest temp...68 I think...and the AC ran again and once more shut off at 80 deg. The heat mode was similar.

The dealer said the thermostat was ok because the thermometer built in to the thermostat agreed with the setting when heat and ac turned off. I tried to explain that the thermometer in the thermostat was wrong. So frustrating! Obviously, I am not a fan of this thermostat. I would love to replace it.

Posted By: oceansailor on 03/18/14 10:19pm

I purchased the same model Dometic T-stat and box for a new A/C unit. Wanted to replace the old analog Duo-term t-stat. However, I do not have wiring to the furnace up by the A/C controller unit. In fact, I wonder how my furnace was controlled...
JP

Posted By: time2roll on 03/18/14 10:34pm

Seattle Lion wrote:

I think the thermostat is defective or some other issue. Mine holds the temp where it is set.

The digital connection is not compatible with the typical "hunter" replacement.

Posted By: time2roll on 03/18/14 10:35pm

oceansailor wrote:

I purchased the same model Dometic T-stat and box for a new A/C unit. Wanted to replace the old analog Duo-term t-stat. However, I do not have wiring to the furnace up by the A/C controller unit. In fact, I wonder how my furnace was controlled...
JP

I am no air conditioner expert but maybe post the model number...

Posted By: EdandLori on 04/04/14 07:31pm

smkettner wrote:

This short description may help with the wiring to the thermostat:

Seemed tricky but it is easy in the end. If you think you will get crossed up then put some tape on your wires to mark them before you cut.

The way mine worked there are two 12+ wires coming from the RV ceiling. These are black as shown in the thread pics. 6th pic I think. These two 12+ wires need to be reconnected to each other and with the 12+ to the box and the 12+ to the thermostat. So 4 wires connected in a bundle for the 12+. The box harness wire is red and is labeled. I connected the red wire in the thermostat bundle to be consistent. Then when you get to the actual thermostat you connect the red wire to the 12+ terminal. Done with 12+.

Similar with 12-. Four wires to connect in the ceiling. The RV 12- are white, box harness is black, I used the black in the thermostat bundle. Then at the thermostat the black is connected to the 12- terminal. Done with 12-.

Last is the signal wire. Just two connect in the ceiling. Box harness is orange so I used the orange wire in the bundle. At the thermostat connect the orange wire to the signal terminal. Done with signal wire.

Color to the thermostat does not particularly matter as long as the 12+, 12-, & signal wire connect same in the ceiling as the thermostat. If you think you might get red/orange mixed up then use green or blue for the signal wire. The unused wires just get folded back out of the way. The replacement is actually a simpler connection than the existing.

Then connect the 120v power, freeze sensor and the heater control wires. Done.

Smkettner: Great post and I am about to install this unit in my TT. You had the same previous control box and stat as I currently have. One question: the wire harness from the new control box has two +12 wires ... One solid Red labeled "+12 from supply" and a second Red/White labeled "+12 To T-stat".

Your wiring description doesn't say what to do with this second Red/white wire from the control wire harness.

Please advise. Thanks.

Posted By: time2roll on 04/04/14 08:12pm

You are correct.

I connected the two B+ from the ceiling to the 12+ (red) from the box together in one crimp.

The red/white wire from the box is connected to the thermostat harness to feed 12v+ to the thermostat.

Sorry for the confusion. I tried to go back and edit my posts.

* This post was edited 04/05/14 02:07pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: time2roll on 04/04/14 08:16pm

Although I think I see the red/white wire in my pic. Maybe I don't recall correctly.
I could swing by storage tomorrow and look at it.

It has been more than a year since I poked at it [emoticon]

Posted By: EdandLori on 04/05/14 06:17am

smkettner wrote:

Although I think I see the red/white wire in my pic. Maybe I don't recall correctly.
I could swing by storage tomorrow and look at it.

It has been more than a year since I poked at it [emoticon]

Thanks. I plan to install tomorrow(Sunday), so if you get a chance to look at your wiring, let me know. Your pics seem to show the red/white wire as well. Thanks !!!

Posted By: time2roll on 04/05/14 02:09pm

Yes the red/white 12+ is connected only to the thermostat harness to feed 12v+ to the thermostat.

Posted By: EdandLori on 04/05/14 04:55pm

Great. Thanks. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks again for the post and checking this out.

Posted By: EdandLori on 04/25/14 07:28pm

Update: I finally got my new thermostat installed. This post was priceless to help me walk me thru the install. Unit works great and as expected. Install was a breeze thanks to smkettner. One additional piece of advice I can offer .... Don't try to use your existing freeze sensor, even if the connection fits the new control box .... It won't work and generates an error msg on the stat. Took me about 1/2 hour to learn that lesson. [emoticon]

Posted By: Race Face on 07/05/14 08:24pm

Thanks to the OP too...

"Quick" weekend trip to San Diego last weekend. Hooked up, heard the humm of AC compressor running (thermostat off) no fan. Manually hit the breaker for the AC. With a high of 75°, didn't need AC. Mobile RV repair was next door, had the tech diagnose bad relay. Got the kit from RV supply place in El Cajon. Took about two hours for me to hook it up. Thanks to the OP for some Picts, just needed clarification since digital used 3 wires and analog took 6.

Works a little different from analog. Takes a few seconds for the AC and heater to respond to commands from thermostat. Where the analog was immediately on or off at the switch on the thermostat.

Posted By: fellow traveler on 07/21/14 04:51pm

Hi just installed the kit Dometic Single Control Kit LCD Cool Furnace Black Thermostat 3313189.015
Digital Replacement Kit Analog Thermostat 3106995.032 it was a challenge but after talking to my RV dealer mechanic all went well works great now no temp swings in air conditioner or furnace cool pardon my vernacular. the pictures were helpful but I had a question about the 12v + AND 12V- WIRES AS THEY WERE NOT THE SAME COLOR BUT WIRED UP THE SAME AS THE DIAGRAM ALL ELSE WENT WHERE THEY NEEDED TO BE! installed the new freeze sensor all's well here thanks for your post.

Posted By: time2roll on 06/03/15 09:12pm

Great to hear it worked out well for you [emoticon]

Posted By: compint on 06/05/15 10:22pm

Just completed this upgrade as well. I like that it is still factory and takes advantage of the digital signal. Thanks so much to smkettner for the assistance along the way.

Posted By: gmc6000 on 06/06/15 06:57am

I installed this one. Keep it simple.

RV Thermostat

2017 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie MegaCab 6.7 Aisin 4:10
2013 KZ Inferno 3710T

Posted By: Fisherguy on 06/26/15 12:31am

gmc6000 wrote:

I installed this one. Keep it simple.

RV Thermostat

What type (what brand) furnace and AC do you have?

Posted By: Toxed2loss on 07/04/15 09:29am

Great post! I'm just replacing my old A/C with a Brisk II Heat Pump and the same digital Tstat. This thread is excellent for sorting out the wires, but I have this double red wire, with a clip hanging down from the HP and I'm not sure where it goes. It doesn't seem to match anything. Anyone know?

* This post was edited 07/04/15 10:30am by Toxed2loss *

Posted By: time2roll on 07/04/15 07:08pm

This should be the manual:

See pg 11 for wire diagram

Is it the Orange wire? IIRC it was Orange and red stripe that might seem double red.

Could it be an outdoor temp sensor?

Posted By: Toxed2loss on 08/16/15 07:59pm

Sorry its taken me so long to get back. I though I was having trouble uploading pics from my iPad and I'm rarely on the desktop. Turns out I can't figure out how to upload them from here either. [emoticon] Here's what I figured our: Dometic pkg'd the wrong thermostat and electronic control box with the Heat Pump thermostat. They sent us a replacement. It went together, with no "which wire, where?" questions after that. The small paired red wire hanging down from the unit is to the outside temp sensor. Its only on Heat Pump models. It plugs in next to the clamp.

Posted By: RE_Todd on 12/30/15 04:31pm

Great write up. Used your instructions to install mine. Perfectly understandable. Thanks

TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

Posted By: olskool on 03/29/17 07:18am

Digging up this old thread. I have the analog set up in my 94 Holiday Rambler and the t-stat has failed. I read through the topic and the kit that was linked on the first page is that what I need or are there others depending on what I have. If I could figure out how to post pictures......

https://flic.kr/p/Tj2ucj

Posted By: westend on 03/29/17 08:06am

See if this works:
[image]

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Posted By: BarneyS on 03/29/17 08:15am

olskool wrote:

Snip... If I could figure out how to post pictures......

https://flic.kr/p/Tj2ucj

Read the first post in this thread and follow the directions. It is really very simple.

1. Upload your picture to the site given in that post.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste the URL into your post here without adding anything or subtracting anything from the URL you go.

Your picture will now appear in the post and will be properly sized for use on our forums.
Good luck.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Posted By: time2roll on 03/29/17 08:33am

I have now replaced the original single zone thermostat with the Comfort Touch single zone.

This is the new one I ordered adventurerv.net Thermostat only. Control box is separate if needed.

[image]

The original had an always on annoying LED indicator light. This new one goes dark after a short delay. Much better for me as mine is mounted right next to my bunks.

Posted By: olskool on 03/29/17 08:55am

I think this worked. Here's a picture of the control unit.

[image]

Posted By: time2roll on 03/29/17 10:20am

The link on page 1 goes to the new Comfort Touch and I believe that is the correct kit that you need for just air and furnace.
Heat strip, heat pump, blue tooth, are different.

Posted By: olskool on 03/29/17 10:24am

Not sure if it matters, but there 2 other thermostats in the travel trailer. One up front in kitchen and one in the back bedroom. I don't care if those work or not. Will that matter?

Posted By: time2roll on 03/29/17 10:46am

I don't know. Do you have multiple air conditioners etc?
Best to call for assistance to verify what you have and what you need.

Or send a message to member Chris Bryant or dougrainer for comment.

Posted By: olskool on 03/29/17 04:31pm

Single roof top a/c and single furnace.

Posted By: KeithE on 04/28/17 03:02pm

Hello! I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I've been unable to solve for over a month. I recently purchased a new Dometic 15k BTU A/C and new LCD thermostat. My coach has an existing furnace that needs to be wired in to the new control box. The new control box has 2 blue/white wires to connect to (and control) the furnace. The furnace has 2 wires (a red and a white). I presume the blue/white wires get connected to the red and white wires, but ... does it matter which gets connected to which? I'm utterly desperate to figure this out: Dometic is useless, the instructions are useless. Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Posted By: Chris Bryant on 04/28/17 04:00pm

KeithE wrote:

Hello! I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I've been unable to solve for over a month. I recently purchased a new Dometic 15k BTU A/C and new LCD thermostat. My coach has an existing furnace that needs to be wired in to the new control box. The new control box has 2 blue/white wires to connect to (and control) the furnace. The furnace has 2 wires (a red and a white). I presume the blue/white wires get connected to the red and white wires, but ... does it matter which gets connected to which? I'm utterly desperate to figure this out: Dometic is useless, the instructions are useless. Thank you so much for any help you can give!

It doesn't matter- the two wires on the control box simply go to a relay- open or closed.

Posted By: olskool on 05/22/17 03:34pm

I called Dometic and talked with them and he said I would need Kit #3313189.000 for my set up. So I ordered it but it looks a lot more complicated than others have posted. First, I do not have 12+ wires at my roof top a/c unit. All I have are the 120V, the plug from a/c (6 wires,) and the freeze sensor and the ribbon from the thermostat. There aren't any wires from the furnace or elsewhere. The kit wants 12+ to hook up to it but I don't have that. I don't have the 2 furnace wires either that are needed to hook up. The back of my thermostat had the ribbon connector and another connector with 4 wires from it. I have no idea where the 4 wires go. The ribbon came out by the old analog box in the a/c. I really don't want to have to disassemble half the interior to route new wiring. Thoughts anyone?

Posted By: time2roll on 05/22/17 04:16pm

Exactly what thermostat are you replacing?
Is it the same as shown first in the original post?

Posted By: olskool on 05/22/17 04:16pm

Here's the picture of it.
[image]

Posted By: time2roll on 05/22/17 04:27pm

Yes that looks very different than what is covered in this thread.

I would guess the 4 wire connector receives 12v power on the black/red and signals the furnace on the blue wires. Ribbon must control the air conditioner.

I think you need a technician familiar with your system to help make this work. Does not seems very plug and play to me.

If you are willing to cut the connector off the old thermostat you could get the 12v power you need. Measure if there is 12v in the wall connector. I think if you jumper the two blue wires together the furnace should run. But you would need to use some existing wire to get the furnace signal from the box down to the two blue wires. And use one wire to get the digital signal up to the box. But I am guessing a bit if this is even possible. Those ribbon wires might work but look thin.

Posted By: olskool on 05/22/17 04:32pm

The ribbon is the only wiring that runs up the control box a/c unit. The 4 wire connecter disappears somewhere else. I would have to get a schematic from Holiday Rambler but they have been bought and sold 3 or 4 times now.

Posted By: time2roll on 05/22/17 08:19pm

Any possibility you could use the ribbon to pull real wire up to the control box?

Posted By: olskool on 05/23/17 06:58am

No, tried and tugged on the existing ribbon wire and it must be secured. What I am thinking is this. If you look at the thermostat you see the 4 wire plug. 2 blue 1 red and 1 black. That's the wires I need to get to the control box. That there is my 12v+, 12v- and my 2 blue furnace wires. I don't have any choice but to do a partial disassembly inside and get those wires up. I will also need the 12v+ constant wires. That I will have to figure out as I don't have that. I will have to run that from the 12V distribution block.

Posted By: olskool on 05/23/17 03:34pm

Update - Got it wired. I was able to reroute the wires up to the control box. Routed the 2 furnace wires up from the old thermostat. Routed the 12V+ up to it and the routed the 3 wires that hook to the thermostat. Have it all hooked up but the thermostat doesn't display. I checked power and there is 12V at the small 12V screw so I know power is reaching the thermostat. I checked continuity between the 3 wires back to the control box and there is. No display. I have the Dometic Capacitive Touch thermostat. I called Dometic - No help at all. I think the thermostat is bad since I do not get a display at all. Any ideas?

Posted By: time2roll on 05/23/17 05:19pm

If you verified 12v power right on the 12v +- terminals of the thermostat with correct polarity it should power up the display when you touch the buttons.

Posted By: olskool on 05/23/17 08:33pm

Yes 12V at the "12v" terminal on thermostat. I unhooked the battery before I left tonight. A few forums said that's how you reset it. I will be calling Dometic and talking to them tomorrow.

Posted By: time2roll on 11/24/17 03:54pm

Pictures have been restored 11/24/2017 [emoticon]

Thanks for nothing Photobucket [emoticon]

Print  |  Close