RV.Net Open Roads Forum: First Ram Promaster van class B

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

 > First Ram Promaster van class B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 11/15/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/02/13 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

I don't know a single Sprinter owner that has ever had to be towed and I know and have met many a Sprinter B owner. In over 100,000 miles driving some of the most remote roads in North America (Alaska and Yukon) with confidence I have never had a breakdown.

Ditto. [emoticon]


David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -



bobojay5

Eastern Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 01/02/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/02/13 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

I don't know a single Sprinter owner that has ever had to be towed and I know and have met many a Sprinter B owner. In over 100,000 miles driving some of the most remote roads in North America (Alaska and Yukon) with confidence I have never had a breakdown. I guess if that is your worry and driving criteria then you deserve a lesser solution that might breakdown and need to be towed. [emoticon]


Ditto again


Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

RobertRyan

Australia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/03/13 02:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

I think Ford and the new Chrysler vans will push Sprinter out as quickly as the RV converters can get up to speed.

The 3.6 Litre Gas engine will be a liability. It appears they are not offering the Diesel like they do here. Not exactly great thinking there. The Insides of the Winnebago version, especially the collapsing bed look a bit pedestrian.
mlts22 wrote:

I wonder what its towing capacity will be. The ability to safely use a hitch mounted cargo rack or even a small enclosed trailer will come into handy.

Not much. You get a lot more with the diesel.
[image]
The Diesel makes a big difference in the towing performance
[image]
[image]

* This post was last edited 05/03/13 03:16am by RobertRyan *   View edit history

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/03/13 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

Davydd wrote:

I don't know a single Sprinter owner that has ever had to be towed and I know and have met many a Sprinter B owner. In over 100,000 miles driving some of the most remote roads in North America (Alaska and Yukon) with confidence I have never had a breakdown. I guess if that is your worry and driving criteria then you deserve a lesser solution that might breakdown and need to be towed. [emoticon]


I guess I have to agree with Dave on this one. Worrying about a breakdown of a chassis that has been around for a long time is rather like letting the possibility of bad weather make you stay home. Can they break? Sure any machine can. Will they? Not likely to anymore than anything else. Buy Progressive Insurance like we did. Their towing coverage pays for the tow to the nearest facility that can fix your machine.

It was reading about the breakdowns and long tows (on Sprinter forums and Yahoo Sprinter groups for a number of years) that made my decision. Granted it is a great platform and breakdowns are rare, but for a woman who travels alone - mostly in the empty service-less prairies, safety and common sense prevailed.

While my local Dodge dealer will still do an oil change on any Sprinter, anything to do with warranty or requiring parts would necessitate a 300 mile drive. Personally I think MB has dropped the ball with the Sprinter and it will come back to bite them once there is decent competition - and this thread suggests that it is coming.


Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme


mlts22

Austin, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/15/2010

View Profile



Posted: 05/03/13 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is another video, which does a somewhat decent walkaround of the Travato.

Davydd

Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/03/13 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

Here is another video, which does a somewhat decent walkaround of the Travato.

That video is mostly about the ERA not the Travato. There was just a little bit on the Travato at the end and not a complete walkaround.

However, there were two interesting aspects about the ERA. First, the graphics are greatly improved and simplified yet those that have been ERA name stripping will have a harder time taking the side ERAs off this design. [emoticon]

Secondly, it looks as if they have lowered the bed in the back on this one. Has the bed height which gave a lot of storage underneath been a complaint?


Davydd
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B
Visited states in an RV


bobojay5

Eastern Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 01/02/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/03/13 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

Here is another video, which does a somewhat decent walkaround of the Travato.

That video is mostly about the ERA not the Travato. There was just a little bit on the Travato at the end and not a complete walkaround.

However, there were two interesting aspects about the ERA. First, the graphics are greatly improved and simplified yet those that have been ERA name stripping will have a harder time taking the side ERAs off this design. [emoticon]

Secondly, it looks as if they have lowered the bed in the back on this one. Has the bed height which gave a lot of storage underneath been a complaint?


The ERA in the video is a 70X David. Fold down couch

gerrym51

unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2007

View Profile



Posted: 05/03/13 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

mumkin wrote:

I think Ford and the new Chrysler vans will push Sprinter out as quickly as the RV converters can get up to speed.

The 3.6 Litre Gas engine will be a liability. It appears they are not offering the Diesel like they do here. Not exactly great thinking there. The Insides of the Winnebago version, especially the collapsing bed look a bit pedestrian.
mlts22 wrote:

I wonder what its towing capacity will be. The ability to safely use a hitch mounted cargo rack or even a small enclosed trailer will come into handy.

Not much. You get a lot more with the diesel.
[image]
The Diesel makes a big difference in the towing performance
[image]
[image]



Mr. Ryan,

you are saying the diesel desire from the point of view of europe/australia which is predominently diesel. here in the USA most people DON"T want diesels. We want gasoline. the reason sprinter based
b's are mostly bought here is because WE HAVE NO CHOICE. if you want the physical dimensions of a sprinter you have to take diesel-thats all there is. the combination of gas transit/provan will decimate sprinter b.

Have a nice day[emoticon]

bobojay5

Eastern Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 01/02/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/03/13 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see that they've went back to the push button cabinetry locks in the Travato. Those are nice to have, although we've found in the ERA that they are not really necessary unless one does off roading and keeps heavy stuff in the upper cabinets.

RobertRyan, this 3.6 engine that Chrysler is using is a sweetheart of an engine. Very popular here in the USA on Chrysler products. The highway patrol here in my state has went to it on all the Dodge Chargers as it will do 135mph and out accelerate their previous V8 engine Crown Vics. The Provan has a 6spd auto trans vs a 5spd in the rear wheel drive applications up till 2012 in Chrysler products. The Ram 1500 pickups have this engine now with an 8spd trans and push 25mpg.

The diesel will be around but maybe not through WGO as it has a clutchless manual transmission that has to be shifted. Americans have become lazy and won't pay $85k for a vehicle with a stick shift, (or most any other stick shift car/truck)

mlts22

Austin, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/15/2010

View Profile



Posted: 05/03/13 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked lengths -- 20 feet is as long as it gets for the Dodge vans. At first I thought this would be something competing against the Roadtrek SS Agile, but by a feature per feature comparison, it is definitely aimed at the competition's Chevy vans than the Sprinter offerings.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

 > First Ram Promaster van class B
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.