|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/13 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

I went with 400a as recommended by Magnum for the peak surge current of the MS2812, which is documented at 360 amps.

ANL or Class T? ANL is quick so you are fine. Class T is slow so I would go smaller.

Note Class T can pass 200% rating for about 60 seconds. So 225 amp rating will easily pass 450 amps for 20 second surge. For reference my microwave pulls 160 to 175 amps with little to no surge.

[image]

ANL is much quicker to open although both will go 300% for 1 second.

[image]

http://www.bluesea.com/products/category/Fuses

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/13 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the advice on the fuse. It is a class T from bluesea, I will track down a 300 amp and keep the 400 as a spare.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

BoonHauler

BoonDocks

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/13 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything looks good to me. As mentioned the line side AC breakers are not needed but won't hurt either.

I'd make a few changes though......

1.) I'd install a battery switch on the incoming 12 VDC hot lead prior to the inverter. I did and REALLY glad I did so now that I been using the system for awhile now. This allows you to easily disconnect the inverter from the batttery bank. Even when the inverter is turned off it still leaks power.

2) I'd isolate the load side neutral. This way you can disconnect the AC load side of the inverter allowing you to back feed the AC from another inverter (smaller more efficient one) without damaging the 2812.

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

PJMAX

Calgary

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/13 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

PJDuramax wrote:

I just hooked mine up about one month ago. All circuts are covered works well. I was amased at the 4/0 wire required for the battery. I have pics on my photo bucket I will send you the link when I figure out how to LOL PJD

Very clean looking install. Are you not worried about the unguarded cables getting nicked / damaged under your rig? My problem, I get obsessed worrying about even the smallest detail.

No not at all as there are plastic buckets that hold items. Key here being carefull PJD

Just Jeff

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/13 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The manual switch between the batteries and inverter is also useful for ensuring ALL phantom loads stop when you flip the switch. My rig still pulls some power even when the main switch is turned off, so I added a 1000W manual switch that will stop it all.

This may be less important if you have an automatic way to maintain your batteries while in storage, like solar.

Which brings me to a question. The Magnums are also 3-stage chargers. Does that mean it's ok to leave the rig plugged in long-term during storage, or is it still better to disconnect the batteries entirely and maintain them manually. (Assuming no solar yet, and AGM batteries so no worry about water.)

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS (31.5') - details at http://www.rv.tothewoods.net/

PJMAX

Calgary

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/13 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave mine plugged in all the time and the monitor says floating charge or complete charge when fully charged. I also have solar but put a disconnect switch on so when plugged into shore power it is off.
PJD

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/13 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gordon,

If your coach is like so many others, you do not want that chassis ground at the battery. At the other side of the shunt it will see even those things that were installed wrong and are grounded to the chassis.

When your Grp 31's start going bad, get ready to replace them with golf cart batteries in series/parallel and with isolator fuses. Lead acid batteries do not play well with others.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Test fit of the major components in the dinette seat storage area. I need to add plywood under and hold-down bracing around the batteries, and of course a lot of wiring to do yet.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.