RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Slide not working (motor runs but slide doesn't move)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Slide not working (motor runs but slide doesn't move)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last week, my husband was closing the slide on the TC, it got about 18" in and then went "clunk". The motor still runs, but the slide doesn't move, nor will it move when trying to close manually. He and our son were able to push it back out to full extension to try to get access to the underside.

he says:

"The motor turns, but there is no connection to the drive line. The ratchet tool fits into the gearbox, so the effect is the same: no movement of the drive line. Something has broken that I cannot see. There is mention of a drive pin and that makes sense, but it is hidden. It could also be the gearbox drive shaft has sheared. I think I can release the slide box from the tracks and jack it upward If set to mid position. There appears to be clearance to angle the room box upward and get maybe 8-12” of access. That is all I need to get tools in and pull the motor. The motor / gear box R&R should be straightforward, if you had access which I can’t figure out yet.

I can put a ratchet on the non-motor side (forward end of the camper) and move the entire slide as both drive gears are solidly connected to the drive line. The problem is that you cannot close the room from that location as access is only from underneath and that closes up. I am way too large to slide in or out under the slide floor."

He was able to access the roll pin, as he thought that it might have sheared, but he can run a wire through it, so it seems to still be intact. He is loathe to bring it in to pay to have it fixed, as he can pretty much fix anything, he just needs to access the motor, which he hasn't figured out how to do yet.

Any ideas? It's a 2007 Bigfoot 3000 30C1002 with a Happijack Secur-Track system.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He needs to start taking things apart until he finds the problem. I would suspect the gear box on the motor or one of the drive gears. Yea, they all have pins holding them on the different shafts. It aint rocket science. You have a motor, a gear reduction box of some sort, a gear and a gear rack. Broken tooth on a gear, or a broken gear box or pin is about all it can be.

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, apparently my question wasn't clear, he is trying to figure out how to get ACCESS to the motor/ gears, he is having an issue reaching anything in the space below the slide from the inside of the TC, there is a very small access port to get to the manual ratchet, but that is just about enough to get the tool into, and not much more.

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have the Bigfoot. On my Arctic Fox there is a switch that engages the motor. On my manufacturer it's accessible from a small access door on the outside of the camper. My switch is a lever.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your question was plenty clear, and the answer is still the same: He needs to start taking things apart until he finds the problem. That includes the camper itself.

Frankly, though, life's too short. Take it in and pay to have it fixed. It's only money.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for information on how to access the motor without dissassembling the dinette, or cutting holes into the body. One can't take things apart that one cannot reach. I would rather my husband fix it than pay someone, since I know that he will do it right, and not in some half baked manner. I know life is short, but I would rather not run out of money paying others to do what we can do (better) ourselves. Thanks.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may or maynot be of help but on ours, an '01 Elkhorn, in front of the refer on slide floor are buried several screws, much like the water tank lid.
At any rate ours has a panel under carpet that covers hole thru slide floor. With the panel removed and when the slide is OUT it is directly over motor. TO verify without digging thru carpet for screws (that may not be there) on ours with slide in, I can see the acess cut out laying on the floor.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to look at this link and pictures

good luck

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Sleepy. It looks like your access is under your dinette? I can't quite tell how you got to that.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the slide in

I open the outside storage access door...

THe carped floor area had a "plug"

pull it out

and look down into the gears and motor.

I have helped many others with the motor/gears located different places...
from inside the camper, with the slide cranked in (using the hand crank after turning off the electric switch in my rear Passenger side cabinate), a flash light, a mirror, and some good knees or laying on your back you can usually find the gear box

Take pictures as you start to take it apart...it'll help going back.

PM me for a phone number if you need... sometimes extra eyes help even blind eyes from afar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Slide not working (motor runs but slide doesn't move)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS