|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> which way is best 2 6V or 2 12V batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/13 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Myself, I relied on the pallets of batteries that we junked - usually 12 to 20 per month. Businesses that rely utterly on the cost per kWh over a period of years (for vehicles that are powered) rely on GC-220 batteries. They decide this on a hard core dollars and cents basis. If they could find batteries that last three times as long at twice the price they would buy them. Unless of course you figure an RV owner knows more about batteries than a business owner who may purchase two to three hundred batteries a year, does the cost analysis on a computer (including maintenance and electrical recharge costs), and has a penny-pinching comptroller looking over his shoulder.
If you want to argue this point, go to any large golf course, and argue with the Golf Pro and the accountant. When they're done with you, the owner will take over and I guarantee you'll crawl out of there little more than raw hamburger.

Various battery designs have pluses and minuses. It's up to the user and no one else on earth to be interested enough to find out which suits his purposes best. Joe McGee down the street may have an RV with a totally different lifestyle than yours. A different rig, a different world. If you let him twist your arm and buy what he suggests, chances are, you will end up on the short end of the stick.

Golf car batteries face an insanely fierce and competitive market. This is because of computer monitoring and analysis right down to the very last shiny copper plated zinc penny. People who lay out tens of thousands of dollars a year on batteries tend to be ruthless how they save money. They cannot cheat. They do not base their decisions on opinions - merely cold hard facts in the form of numbers. Numbers with dead presidents on the face.

shoreco

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/13 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCINTN wrote:

Have a new to me an 811 Northern Lite.
Need to upgrade battery.
Which way is best for most lasting power?
Have room for either situation.

2 6V or 2 12V looking at group 30 110 AH
Thanks
Ed

Forget the technical mumbo jumbo....

I had 2 12volts.....furnace would run them down before morning....

I now have 2 6volts......problem solved....

Nuff said
Happy Travels

2002 National Dolphin 5355

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/13 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eorget what all them other yahoos say, there ain't a dimes worth of difference tween 6 & 12. Either way ya go, ya have around 220 am hrs.
After 50 years, I now run 12'ers.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/13 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

Eorget what all them other yahoos say, there ain't a dimes worth of difference tween 6 & 12.
Actually there is a difference but may be irrelevant when talking about RVing. I like MEX's answer the best. Depends on how your camping style is.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/13 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hershey wrote:

You'll get plenty of input on your query.
I've had both.
I now have 4 - 6 volt batteries rather than 2 - 12 volt batteries.
The 4 6 volt batteries out perform the 2 12 volt batteries by about 25%. I'll never go back to 12 volt batteries.
Ever wonder why golf carts use 6 or 8 volt batteries and not 12 volt????

Now, read this quote,.....and then you tell me that 6'ers are better than 12'ers. Hes talkin double the capacity, and only 25% actual gain ??? That is really pathetic for the 6'ers !!
And he'll never go back to 12's ?? I would, in a heartbeat !

skipbee

Glen Arm,Md. 21057 USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/13 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a topic, almost as good as Chevy v. Ford or Dually v. SWR.
We have lived in the 12 volt world for a long time. We lived aboard a sailing yacht for 23 years. We carried 3- 4D Diesel Starting Batteries plus 4 additional smaller batteries. Over the years we had many combinations of 6 & 12 volt batteries. We charged with alternator, generator, propeller shaft alternator, wind and solar.

What we learned was, after three years of use at sea, replace lead acid batteries, regardless of voltage. We did not have AGM tech then but did try gel cell, which were not successful. We have found that AGM 12 volt are very trouble free and easy to manage, weight, size and power wise. Deka by Penn Manufacturing are the best value I've found for AGM batteries.

skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Businesses that rely utterly on the cost per kWh over a period of years (for vehicles that are powered) rely on GC-220 batteries.

Gee. Mexico... Are you agreeing with me (What I said, is "Best" is subject to opinion but the Golf Car batteries give the best bang for the buck.. The best value, the lowest cost, however you wish to phrase it.

And you gave the reason rather well.. I'll give you another.

(you hinted at it) Golf courses and such buy those suckers by the pallet load.. They are, most likely, the most common 12 volt lead acid battery ever.. The lines that make them run a long long time without re-tooling. and that lowers the per unit cost.

12 volt styles.. Well you have about a hundred different "Automotive" type 12 volt batteries (more or less, I just pulled that number out of air) you may well run a line just one day before re-tooling or a different battery size.. Adds big time to the cost.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

renoman69

Edmonton Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is such a no brainer that it makes my head hurt. Like Mex said, why do golf carts that take a pure beating every single day use 6 volt batteries???

Just make sure they are Trojans!

2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

Now, read this quote,.....and then you tell me that 6'ers are better than 12'ers. Hes talkin double the capacity, and only 25% actual gain ??? That is really pathetic for the 6'ers !!
What he said doesn't make sense. Double the capacity is double the gain. Where's the 25% come from?

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

RJsfishin wrote:

What he said doesn't make sense. Double the capacity is double the gain. Where's the 25% come from?

I know it must have been a misquote, but this whole 6-12v thing is such a joke that I just make a joke of it anymore.
The real pathetic thing is, that a nubie can't come here and get a simple answer to a simple question, and leaves here not knowing a bit more than when he came, and totally confused.

Now I been down all these roads over 50 yrs, and the real truthful answer is,..................
For the average person, for the average dry camping style, there will not be any noticeable difference between 6 and 12'ers.

Personally, given a choice, I would take the 6'ers, because I think they mite have better longevity, and I sure like the series connection better.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> which way is best 2 6V or 2 12V batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.