|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> which way is best 2 6V or 2 12V batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hershey

Albuquerque,(fulltime) NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

hershey wrote:

You'll get plenty of input on your query.
I've had both.
I now have 4 - 6 volt batteries rather than 2 - 12 volt batteries.
The 4 6 volt batteries out perform the 2 12 volt batteries by about 25%. I'll never go back to 12 volt batteries.
Ever wonder why golf carts use 6 or 8 volt batteries and not 12 volt????

Now, read this quote,.....and then you tell me that 6'ers are better than 12'ers. Hes talkin double the capacity, and only 25% actual gain ??? That is really pathetic for the 6'ers !!
And he'll never go back to 12's ?? I would, in a heartbeat !

Sorry but you really don't know what your talking about. The question is will two 6 volt batteries be better (outperform) a single 12. I'm saying yes and by my experience by about 25% more effective usage.

hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/13 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you only have space for two house batteries best to stick with 12 volt batteries, nothing better than loosing one 6 volt battery in the middle of NO WHERE and having your refer controls go dead because it requires 12 volts or being unable to pump water when needed. If you have space for 4 6 volt batteries go for it.

">David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ">
Any errors are a result of CRS.">

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topflite51 wrote:

If you only have space for two house batteries best to stick with 12 volt batteries, nothing better than loosing one 6 volt battery in the middle of NO WHERE and having your refer controls go dead because it requires 12 volts or being unable to pump water when needed. If you have space for 4 6 volt batteries go for it.
Have you had a 6 volt battery fail? Do you know or can point to one reference where anyone has had a 6 volt battery fail and has had the experience you describe?
I see this scenario described when the 6v vs 12v threads are active but I've never heard of one person having this problem. I would think it much more likely that a user could have a sulfated battery/s that won't accept a full charge. The owner would know that his batteries are at the end of life and shouldn't be surprised.
FWIW, I've worked on battery operated equipment, including fleets of golf carts, and sudden failure of a FLA battery was almost non-existent.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hershey wrote:

RJsfishin wrote:

hershey wrote:

I've had both.
The 4 6 volt batteries out perform the 2 12 volt batteries by about 25%. I'll never go back to 12 volt batteries.

Now, read this quote,.....and then you tell me that 6'ers are better than 12'ers. Hes talkin double the capacity, and only 25% actual gain ??? That is really pathetic for the 6'ers !!

Sorry but you really don't know what your talking about. The question is will two 6 volt batteries be better (outperform) a single 12. I'm saying yes and by my experience by about 25% more effective usage.

So you stand by what you wrote ??
Then you really need help.
You said, and I guote:
The 4 6 volt batteries out perform the 2 12 volt batteries by about 25%.
Now, who doesn't know what their talking about ?? !!

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/13 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

topflite51 wrote:

Have you had a 6 volt battery fail? Do you know or can point to one reference where anyone has had a 6 volt battery fail and has had the experience you describe?
I see this scenario described when the 6v vs 12v threads are active but I've never heard of one person having this problem. I would think it much more likely that a user could have a sulfated battery/s that won't accept a full charge. The owner would know that his batteries are at the end of life and shouldn't be surprised.
FWIW, I've worked on battery operated equipment, including fleets of golf carts, and sudden failure of a FLA battery was almost non-existent.
The answer to your question is YES, I had this happen to me. The battery was only 2 months old. So I guess now you have heard of a person having had this problem. It would have been a 4 hr drive up a rough dirt road for another 6 volt battery. Just not worth it.

* This post was edited 06/25/13 09:44am by topflite51 *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/13 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

State your points then only respond to the OP additional questions and most of the nonsense will go away.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even a newbie with little or no experience or expertise should be able to read this thread and glean reality from it. Nine Blind Men And An Elephant is flagrantly exposed.

But keep in mind, PERFORMANCE meaning AMPERE HOURS and CCA

Is

A Horse

Of A

Different

Color

Than

DURABILITY AND SURVIVABILITY

Those who disagree can certainly PM me with their thoughts and experience. There are very impolite and rude references to explain and describe what some of these threads disintegrate into.

All initiated by THAT word

BEST

hershey

Albuquerque,(fulltime) NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

hershey wrote:

RJsfishin wrote:

hershey wrote:

I've had both.

So you stand by what you wrote ??
Then you really need help.
You said, and I guote:
The 4 6 volt batteries out perform the 2 12 volt batteries by about 25%.
Now, who doesn't know what their talking about ?? !!

Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying. My actual experience with both, proved to me that I have about 25% better performance from the 6 volt batteries. I admit, I have no way of providing an actual factual measurement to the 25% number other than my guesstimate but the performance of the 6 volt batteries is far better than the 12 volt batteries.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might you mean that say *2* 6 volt golf cart batteries out perform say *2* group 24 12 v batteries for amp hours at moderate amp draws by about 25%? This would line up better with my understanding but may or may not be what you have seen.

Alternately I could see 4 6 volt GC batteries outperforming some pairs of 12v batteries for heavy inverter loads before alarming by maybe 25%.

Jim

* This post was edited 06/25/13 04:28pm by HiTech *

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/13 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget it, there ain't no fixin this,...he'll never understand.

My point was, it being wrong to give wrong....impossible information !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> which way is best 2 6V or 2 12V batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.