RV.Net Open Roads Forum: First TC, 1st trip, 1st damage, and 1st RVnet post.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> First TC, 1st trip, 1st damage, and 1st RVnet post.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
JBV

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love camping. My parents started me out backpacking at an early age, and I transitioned to jeep camping around age 19. So the camping part of things is not new to me.
Camping with a Truck Camper (or any type of RV) is a whole new experience for me, similar in some ways and very different in others.

After much Craigslisting and many hundreds of miles spent looking at "good condition, everything works" truck campers, I finally found one which actually WAS in good condition, and most everything did indeed seem to work. I bought it, loaded it onto the truck, and drove home.
[image]

Cleaned in and out, flushed the water system several times, tested all systems. Minor issues with a bee's nest blocking the furnace vent and grime build-up on the hot water heater pilot light, lots of ferrous sediment build-up in the water heater, which I removed (s-l-o-w-l-y) using a telescoping pick-up magnet.

Packed up, cleaned the house, weighed in at a CAT scale, went back home to ditch several items, and headed for I-70 west while listening to dire warnings about the heatwave I was about to drive into,

Pulled into a campground near Green River, Utah, around midnight. Morning brought views, heat, bugs, great neighbors and wonderfully cool water.
[image]

Heat was intense, but the river was cool, so I stayed a day. That next night the temp did not go down past the mid-90's. My truck's coolant level stayed at the HOT mark.

I stopped to see the Crystal Geyser, but it was not running. Budders went for a swim anyway.
[image]

I70 ended, and I hopped north on I-15 to the turnoff for Hwy 50 (which I missed on the first try because I was on the phone telling my girlfriend that I was about to head into the desert). Only a few extra miles to the next exit to turn around, and I was on the Loneliest Road in America.
[image]

I like taking 50 because there are numerous National Forest access points, and it is easy to pull off and find a good spot to boondock. Turns out it's not quite as easy in a TC as it used to be in my jeep, but still pretty darn easy.
[image]

I was given directions to a hot spring outside of Austin, NV, which was down 10 miles of harsh washboard and an interesting section of deep silt. 4wd a must. Again, not as easy as it would have been in the jeep, and much slower. Nice and warm though, and not a soul in sight.
[image]

Also no cover, so I aimed for Tahoe after a quick soak. Everywhere I had been to this point was reporting consecutive days of record-breaking heat, and with the chevy's odo rolling past 341k I was taking it easy on the A/C. That is to say that I was leaving it off.

El Dorado National Forest Access gave me a secluded spot, and cool overnight temps (finally!)
[image]

The 4th of July is not the best day to show up in Tahoe proper with no reservations or plans. Everything was quite full, so I headed for Icehouse. Pretty full up there too, but some seclusion to be found. Budders enjoyed the cooler temps.
[image]

I ripped down the hill, gathered my girlfriend from her apartment in Davis, and continued west as far as I could, to the Lost Coast. Which was overrun by the loudest, dirtiest, and most obnoxious campers and people that I had observed so far. The place was trashed, pit toilet tipped over, fire-work remains and trash everywhere, and trucks doing donuts across the wetlands/Snowy Plover habitat area. It is fairly easy to Tread Lightly and avoid doing damage to the landscape with a properly built and operated 4x4, but none of these folks were attempting any kind of responsible recreation. Rangers came later in the day, but seemed more interested in collecting $25 camping fees than in enforcing any of the other posted rules.

It is still an incredible area, but I fear it may not stay open to the public for many more years. In the photo I am parked in the Day Use area, but you can see fresh tire tracks criss-crossing the "closed to vehicles" marsh area and wetlands. At least no one was shooting at the Roosevelt Elk who were hanging out there.
[image]

The road to access this area is narrow and rough, with few turn-out areas. On the way in I was forced into a ditch against a fern-covered hill by a pickup truck who refused to give me right-of-way, but there was no damage and I was able to power out of it.

Its a beautifully forested area, redwood trees and ferns, and all.
[image]

On the way back out I was forced off the road and into a ditch again, this time by two pickups going too fast... but they did have right-of way. My rear passenger-side jack caught some roots and tore partially out and to the back.
[image]

There is damage to the wooden framing, but the jack seems undamaged, and the aluminum skin is only a little bent, not torn at all. No interior damage, and it under the dinette side, away from any electrical, LPG, or water lines, so I am considering myself lucky in that respect. I removed the jack to avoid any further damage from it moving around on the road, and headed down coastal Hwy 1, which was foggy and chilly... a very nice change from the 100+ temps of the last week. I wore pants for the first time since Colorado.

I have just made contact with an old friend from High School, and it looks like I will head for his parent's place in Petaluma to attempt repairs, hoping that his father still has the array of tools and random materials that I remember from a decade ago.

And that is where I am at, and what I would love some help with. I will be stopping a the Camping World in Vacaville to gather some supplies for this repair. Exterior caulking for around the jack brackets.. Proflex, is that correct? Grey gummy gooey tape stuff for under the aluminum at the corners... Is there a brand or specific product to use or not to use? I have a roll of butyl rubber repair tape, but It seems to be for exterior window/roof/leak fixes, not for under the skin...? The silver lining is that there does not appear to be any water damage.

I am using this as my repair guide: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/18228847.cfm
Any other advice, suggestions, or help would be... uh... helpful. Thanks.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/13 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures!
Sorry to hear about the damage....though you have now gotten that out of the way (check it off your buckte list[emoticon])...
And you have lots of wonderful trips ahead of you!

Welcome to the forum!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ">
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.">
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008"> FMCA# F407293
The Pets

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/13 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a terrific trip report. No sentimentality. No overwrought prose. Well done! Best of luck on the repair and give my regards to Budders.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the TC Forum. A very nice report. Do you still have your Jeep, and do you intend to tow it?

Wayne

dennisgt60

Fort Wayne, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Neat trip. Great pics. Great narrative. Thanks and keep us posted!

2012 F-250 XLT, 6.2L, 4x4, CC, Standard Bed, 10,000lb. GVWR, 3.73 Axle.
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.
Stated payload max. 2,881 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8282ws.

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great, interesting report. I was melting at the mention of those temps. I couldn't do it; my heat exhaustion problem would kick in.

I sure hope that you get some helpful suggestions for your repair. Good luck with it. With as much fun you've had so far, it would be a shame to be sidelined for too long.

Welcome to the forum!

2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report . Here is one more thread of a corner repair with pics on p.2.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac........d/tid/20089427/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report. Sorry you had to run into some of our Nor Cal redneck idiots. A four day weekend brings them out it seems. Where is that spot on the Lost Coast, not may places for beach access up there. Hope your repairs go easy.

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pics and writeup. Good stuff. With the repair I would think you need to open up enough to be sure that wood framing is solid enough to take the stress of the jack under weight. You should get some good advice here from those who've been there.

JBV

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/13 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the kind words and support everybody! I lurked on this forum for quite a while during my search for a camper. I will continue with updates when I have decent web service.

I now have all (I hope) of the materials for repairs, and it's on towards Petaluma, where, with a little luck, tools and workspace, a cold shower and a hot meal will be waiting.

Reddog1: I still have a Jeep, and I thought about bringing it, but the camper steals so much power from my already tired Chevy that I decided against it. I am not very comfortable towing, and the thought of backing up and turning around on new-to-me forest roads was less than appetizing. I realize now that I could have re-organized gear into the towed jeep for a lighter load in the truck and then used the YJ for exploration and trips to town for supplies (while keeping a good campsite). Live and learn!

Raften: I was at Usal campground, which is apparently well known for this kind of behavior, especially during holiday weekends. I guess it was legal to drive out onto the beach here for many years, and a bunch of folks don't want to give that up. Such is the way of things, I suppose. At least I left my campsite looking a lot better than how I found it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> First TC, 1st trip, 1st damage, and 1st RVnet post.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.