RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A man, his dog, fly rod and TC in the Sierras: take two

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A man, his dog, fly rod and TC in the Sierras: take two

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow two hall passes in one summer, I must be living right.

Anyways after hemming and hawing I decided ( with help from the forum) to go hit some lakes and rivers in the Hope Valley area SW of Tahoe on hwy 88. My back up plan was to go to the South Yuba River and Gold Lakes Basin on Hwy 49 between Downieville and Bassets.

I had some new toys to try out: a Float Tube and a Fishing Vest PFD

[image]

[image]

As Friday drew closer the Weather wasn't looking good with heavy thunderstorms and a flash flood warning for the eastern Sierra, hence the back up western slope plan. Late Friday the NWS dropped the severe thunderstorm and Flash Flood warning as the bad stuff shifted south. I actually made my choice of plan A at 7pm just before I headed out.

Friday Traffic over the Altamont on 580 can be a bear and the stretch through Livermore was gridlocked so I took the back roads throughthe vineyards

[image]

Jake the wonder dog was enjoying riding shotgun with the AC in his face

[image]

as was I

[image]

First stop was Bass Pro in Manteca for some flies...It was my first time in there wow, it took self discipline to only buy flies.

[image]

[image]

Driving through the darkness on 88 was something I had not done sice the late 90s when I used to ski and this was the fist time without snow or ice to contend with.

[image]

around 11:30 I was too tired to drive so just past the Carson Spur at 8000 feet I found a nice turnout to spend the night with a 3/4 moon

[image]

It turned out to be a spectacular spot and it was just above Red lake where I planned on fishing in the morning.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The hawk in the dead tree seemed to be enjoying the same sunrise

[image]

Breakfast time

[image]

and a quick drive to Red Lake and some fishing, too bad it had a major algae bloom going that turned the water green

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

the fishing shack and Jake the guard doggie

[image]

who knew that kicking from here to the far shore and back over a few hours would physically kick my butt. I could barely walk the rest of the day, almost missed out on fishing the evening rise on the Carson River but I'm getting ahead of myself

[image]

[image]

I drove up to Blue Lake but the place was an absolute zoo and I couldn't even find a place to park let alone want to fish so I ended up dispersed camping in Hope Valley with my back door to the river and a nice guy in a Arctic Fox nearby

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Jake approved

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

An early dinner of Shrimp Scampi with Linguini

[image]

That was followed by the evening rise on the Carson River. It was a blast, I caught and released 7 fish between 8-10" in size.

Later Saturday night the stars were incredible

[image]

[image]

I was so whupped I slept right thought the morning rise and got up at 8:30 am so I Decided to pull up stakes and go explore some other lakes

this looked inviting but the only non fee parking was right here and the fishing wasn't happening

[image]

I looked at Caples, Silver and Kirkwood lakes but nothing clicked with me. so I kept driving and taking pictures

[image]

[image]

Then as I had kind of given up I saw a sign for Bear Reservoir off 88 and caught a glimpse of in off to my left, a bell went off in my head

Found a non populated stretch of road by the lake, a decent pull out and it was time to fish

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

the wind game up and I decided to call in a trip after spending 4 great hours at Bear reservoir

this is the dam and the only road in or out

[image]

[image]

down canyon from the dam

[image]

back in the central valley on 205 at sunset

[image]

the winds on the Altamont Pass (580) were some of the strongest Ive driven in but the trucks set up was just about perfect to handle them. The windmills were screaming

[image]

great trip only one little oops at the end. my definition of saying I will be home in the evening is that it will not be dark out when i get there. To my wife that means 5 pm and we will be having dinner together. She was a bit ticked off but she has let it pass as of this evening ( I did a whole bunch of honey do's this morning before I left for work and cooked up some nice soft tortilla chicken enchiladas for dinner.

The truck hauled butt up over 8500 foot passes although it does send out a plume of dark smoke heading out from a dead stop at altitude. I used less that a tank of diesel for the trip and only dropped $15 at Bass Pro. SkiPro thanks for the dispersed camping tip in Hope valley it beat the snot out of the packed and costly campgrounds

* This post was edited 07/29/13 10:25pm by Buzzcut1 *

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/13 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, you "say" you caught and released some fish, but without any pictures, how can we believe you? I know how us, I mean you fishermen tell stories!
Awesome pictures.Beautiful area. Thanks for the post. It just makes me want to get back out on the creek sooner!! I got a new fly rod & reel for my birthday that needs breaking in!
Happy fishing!

2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 long bed
2021 Airstream Bambi 22FB
Equal-i-zer hitch
Prodigy P2
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Wo.ody

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outstanding report...short, sweet and quite the envy. Thanks for making my day!Does Jake(Border Collie?) do well by himself? No separation anxiety?

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have camped in the same place on the Carson river several times. One of the reasons I suggested Hope Valley. I don't fish, but have watched them okant fish in the Carson, actually where you camped.

Wayne

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wo.ody wrote:

Outstanding report...short, sweet and quite the envy. Thanks for making my day!Does Jake(Border Collie?) do well by himself? No separation anxiety?

Jake is an Aussie, he is quite mellow when I leave. when I come back its a 180 he is quite animated and he has doggie torrets. He will jump around and happy bark and scream for at least 15 minutes it can be quite embarrassing if there are lots of people around

he was in the middle of one episode of happy dog when I took this picture

[image]

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent report. All (except Bear V. res) is in my backyard basically. Next time go to Blue Lakes, Upper Blue Lake is better. Nice camping at a PGE camp.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

mike mck

phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post! Thanks. I'm heading to Northern AZ from Phoenix for my first outing in over a year this coming weekend with a mostly new to me rig.
Great images. I hope you shared that breakfast with the wonder dog! If not then I understand your girlish figure.
Once again a great post.
thanks

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm so envious! That dispersed camp area is one of my perennial favorites. Thanks for the great photos.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Excellent report. All (except Bear V. res) is in my backyard basically. Next time go to Blue Lakes, Upper Blue Lake is better. Nice camping at a PGE camp.

Went there , it was a freaking zoo. all the camps were full, cars parked on every square inch of road almost no room to even turn my rig around. Mid week sure, summer weekend, never again.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/13 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike mck wrote:

Great post! Thanks. I'm heading to Northern AZ from Phoenix for my first outing in over a year this coming weekend with a mostly new to me rig.
Great images. I hope you shared that breakfast with the wonder dog! If not then I understand your girlish figure.
Once again a great post.
thanks

bite for me, bite for him. we share

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A man, his dog, fly rod and TC in the Sierras: take two
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.