|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> the end plus a begining..trip report

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/13 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhh the 2013 Dressage show season has come to an end (qualifying for Championships) and with it ends my working 12 hours per day for 7 days a week for 43 straight days(ok so I have 4 more shifts to go before I take a 3 day weekend)can you say I'm fried?

A few good things came from it.

My wife qualified for championships at Grand Prix,Grand Prix Freestyle and in so doing earned her Gold Medal for exceeding a scoring percentage at I2 and Grand Prix joining only 987 other riders to do so and earned her Gold Freestyle Bar joining only 72 riders ever to do so in the USA

I earned enough money to pay for my truck repairs and her competition costs.

It's about an hour and a half drive at 70mph to get to the venue and the first ride was at 8:30 am on Saturday and I really wasn't interested in getting up at 4am and trying to get on the road at 5:30 am so that I would have time to set up the camper and my first aid station. I left on Friday evening after work and arrived at 9pm, had the TC set up by 9:30 and sack time a little after 10 There were stiff cross winds and I was glad I had set the Ranchos at 9 front and rear and had 35 psi in the airbags. The truck drove like a dream and the engine work I had done gave me more that enough power at both low and high end

[image]

the Show Secretary was also there in her class B

[image]

[image]

The opened up a new competition barn for folks that trailered in, quite spiffy

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I took a walk at dawn just in time to watch the Tule fog form, roll across the valley, sock us in then burn back off in less than an hour.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Breakfast for me and my neighbor hit the spot

[image]

The show grounds

[image]

[image]

[image]

my office to be

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

There is a grass airfield just behind the property and I took these shots at sunset

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I got to really test my skills on Saturday afternoon when some of the boarders at the facility were consuming too many adult beverages and 6 of them piled onto a golf cart, 3 on the seat 3 standing on the back end holding onto the roof. Two of the standees fell off and sustained serious head injuries. I was on my own with them until the paramedic showed up. It was a twenty minute code three run from the nearest town to reach us. the life Flight helicopter arrived at the same time as Fire and Ambulance. Twenty minutes seems like forever when you need more hands and you know that there is a need for rapid transport. They both made it to the hospital one was only in the hospital for 24 hours the other was still there at shows end

Definitely earned my pay that day

Some Sunday photos

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Coming home on Sunday I was buffeted by 30 mph cross winds, heavy traffic, steep hills and the truck acted oblivious to it all it just purred.

Sept 18 we leave for Rancho Murrietta and the CDS/USDF Region 7 Dressage Championships. We will stay on the grounds in the Lance in the RV area so 110 and if we get a good spot a full hook up for the week

Worked out of the Lance 40 days this year.

* This post was edited 08/26/13 09:41pm by Buzzcut1 *

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/13 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzz,
Thanks for the out-of-the-ordinary post. Your TC is especially well suited to your first-aid gig. You never know when it's "up jump 'da debil" time, especially when liquor is involved.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/13 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was an interesting show in a couple of ways. This was the last weekend to post a qualifying score prior to the championships. Quite a few of the competitors were on the bubble and were very stressed, they had 2 rides to get that one score that was high enough to allow them to send an entry to compete in the finals. On Sunday afternoon there were more disappointed riders than happy ones.

I got to see old friends for the last time until January or February when we work some of the 2014 shows together.

The trip was a good test of the engine repairs, 150 loaded miles in heavy winds, bumpy dirt roads, freeway speeds, stop and go and steep hills. The check engine light stayed off and the drivability was excellent.

I received some nice compliments on my EMT skills from the Fire Chief and the paramedics, nice affirmation that you know what the heck you are doing.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/13 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always interesting with a great breakfast. Congratulations to your wife on her achievements too.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/13 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

always seem to find some photos I missed

Dinner: Rigatoni in a tomato sauce with spicy Italian sausage

[image]

my office

[image]

me and a barn cat

[image]

[image]

DEcamper

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/13 01:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have so much peace and joy in your life, I can just feel it in all your trip reports. Beautiful pictures.

Nina

Todd & Nina
2009 Ford F-450 4X4, Torklifts w/Fastguns
2010 Northstar Igloo U
Honda EU2000i (Camo)

the tc life

colbert wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/13 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow. the woodwork in the stalls / barn is beautiful.

2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/13 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pictures. And a very nice barn - cleanest I've seen, and I've seen a few.

When during the weekend you said about having a couple of head injuries to treat I thought, well, sadly that is the way it goes with horses; but I wasn't expecting it to be golf carts - shows golfing could be a dangerous business given enough alcohol. Seriously though - good job you were on hand even if the cause of the injuries weren't quite expected.

I'll add this to the trip report sticky on my forthcoming update.

Cheers,

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/13 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great write up and great pictures. I love those tail draggers!

Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/13 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful pictures. I could have sat and watched those planes take off and land all day long.

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> the end plus a begining..trip report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.