RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Any data on Frig/freezer fires?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Any data on Frig/freezer fires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/13 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anybody have any data of what the cause(s)of RV frig/freezer fires are?

I can't find any info. Nothing on manufactures web sites. And most news stories end with "cause of fire unknown" or fire investigation continues type thing.
Thanks

2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

SCVJeff

Santa Clarita, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you never will.. Any manufacturer certainally is not going to list how their products fail.

Everyone knows how the Norcolds fail. Dunno about the rest

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it matter? There is plenty of opportunity with these devices. Can be propane leak or ammonia leak. Both are flammable. And there should be a spark or flame to start the fire of course, which can be caused by electrical circuits of the fridge or by propane burner. Can burn out peacefully without a propane or ammonia leak as well (if something starts the fire) - there is plenty of wood in the cabinet and plastic.

If you are really worried and losing your sleep over it, consider a 120V or 12V compressor fridge.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 01:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could search your state or the national Fire Incident Reporting System for info, but - as others have already said....why??.[emoticon]

BTW - very difficult to do a good fire investigation when the source area (and usually the entire RV) are destroyed..[emoticon]

~

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 02:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SCVJeff wrote:

And you never will.. Any manufacturer certainally is not going to list how their products fail.

Everyone knows how the Norcolds fail. Dunno about the rest

OK maybe I should of explained a little bit more. I'm going to upgrade all elect in coming months and considering putting in halogen fire extinguishers system for frig/freezer. http://www.firefightproducts.com/Fire_Fight_Supplemental_Hal.html But I'm wondering if some type of temp readout (readable from cab and bunk area)might be better. Best I can figure out, the fires are from "high temperature sensor" or "boiler" plate that fails. Don't know if that is certain brands or certain models or both. If I had someway of knowing frig was getting up in temps by a digital readout and alarm I could do something about it before temps ignited something, maybe alarm goes off at 700 degrees?. But if these fires are from a some type of spark when something fails, not much use to monitor temps IMO. That's why I'm wondering about the exact cause of fire if anybody knows.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If my memory is correct from reading on this forum the 120 volt heating element that makes the refrigerator work on 120v, was a few watts larger than normal, and caused the boiler tube to crack and leak the flammable coolant.

Roadpilot

NH and SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/13 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to upgrade to an all electric coach as you imply, just get a compressor or household fridge. I bet you don't have a fire suppression system at home.

Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

John / Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know the specifics of what caused ours but in our case the heat shield did its job. The charring was mostly near the bottom but some higher up as well. If the heat shield had not been there I imagine the whole coach would have gone up. One of those shiver up the spine moments when we pulled the nocold out.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

I'm going to upgrade all elect in coming months and considering putting in halogen fire extinguishers system for frig/freezer. http://www.firefightproducts.com/Fire_Fight_Supplemental_Hal.html But I'm wondering if some type of temp readout (readable from cab and bunk area)might be better.

Half the time when your fridge is running you are not even there. A lot of good will fire exitinguishers will do then [emoticon]

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/13 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 2 distinct reasons for these to catch fire- basically one is a sudden release of refrigerant *while running on LP*. This is fairly rare, as the largest component of the refrigerant is water, but it can and has caused fires. The more common failure is simple overheating, which will ignite surrounding flammable materials.
There are other reasons they will burn- electrical problems, critters nesting around the burner, etc.

-- Chris Bryant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Any data on Frig/freezer fires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.