RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Aging 22.5 tires - how old is too old?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Aging 22.5 tires - how old is too old?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jpwiggo

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/13 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read an article created by:
Guy Walenga, director of engineering, tire products and technologies at Bridgestone Americas

In it he tells how tires "properly maintained, inflated, repaired and retreaded commercial truck tires may safely and reliably be in service for 10 years or more"

I am wondering if there is other data you may have. I know most 'sales' answers are going to be 6-7years then change. Not interested in what a company's sales answer is, more looking for what is the correct answer.

I have 7year old Goodyears on my DP and they look new, stored indoors and with less than 40K on them. Going to run them for a few more years.

Roadpilot

NH and SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/13 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an engineer from Michelin in to talk to our group about tires. He said they should be good for 5 years and then from 5 to 10 years they should be inspected annually. He said the inspection can't be an external visual, the tire has to unmounted and examined from the inside.

I know two MH's that had front tire blow outs. Both totaled and one killed. The recommendation where we are is that when the front tires reach 3 years move them back. We had a tire fail on our tag and it did thousands of dollars of damage, but there were no control issues.

I also measure tire pressure every trip. I know the weight by axle of our MH and go by Michelin's chart on tire pressure.

Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

The Texan

Home ... Toquerville, UT .. Summer ... Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/13 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tire manufacturers say up to 10 years, with annual inspections after 5 years. However many folks on here think engineers and manufacturers are clueless and everyone is filthy rich like they must be, say the world will end if you drive one day past 5 years on them. Myself, I follow the manufacturers recommendation and just changed my 8½ year old drive tires last week.

The manufacturer designs them, builds them and sells them, so if they say 10 years, that is good enough for me.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/13 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7 years, I went 3 months past that once and had a blow out. Never again. I only run Goodyear or Michelin. The Michelin blew.

2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/13 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the time, and would like to do some detailed reading on this topic, the NHSTA has some excellent research on this topic. The link I'm providing below has dozens of articles on tire aging, safety, inflation and loading. It's really worth checking out and getting informed.

NHSTA Tire Safety Links

2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

sdianel -acct closed

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/13 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are not willing to risk going beyond 7 years. So many factors involved in how long tires will last that it's not worth it to us to gamble with something so important. Our tire guy said 7 years. That's what we're going to do.

Nomadac

Columbus, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/13 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelin Technical Bulletin
Service Life for RV/Motorhome Tires
The following recommendation applies to RV/Motorhome tires.
It is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone.
However, the older a tire the greater the chance that it will need to be replaced due to the
service-related evolution or other conditions found upon inspection or detected during use.
While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that
any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be
replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even
if they have not reached the legal wear limit.
For tires that were on an original equipment vehicle (i.e., acquired by the consumer on a
new vehicle), follow the vehicle manufacturer’s tire replacement recommendations, when
specified (but not to exceed 10 years).
I had a Michelin Rep. tell me, that to start having the tires checked annually by a qualified tire dealer beginning in the 6th year and replace when they reach 9 yrs. max. I followed this and the 8th year two tires had very fine cracks developing around the beads so I replaced them, rather than take a chance that one would blow and cause more damage than the price of the tires.

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

steveownby

Cosby, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/13 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jpwiggo wrote:

I read an article created by:
Guy Walenga, director of engineering, tire products and technologies at Bridgestone Americas

In it he tells how tires "properly maintained, inflated, repaired and retreaded commercial truck tires may safely and reliably be in service for 10 years or more"

I am wondering if there is other data you may have. I know most 'sales' answers are going to be 6-7years then change. Not interested in what a company's sales answer is, more looking for what is the correct answer.

I have 7year old Goodyears on my DP and they look new, stored indoors and with less than 40K on them. Going to run them for a few more years.

There is no definitive answer to your question. Tire manufacturers can give you a tire life expectancy under perfect conditions but not in the real world. How many times have you hit a really serious pothole or scuffed a curb. How many times was a tire under inflated or carrying a little to much weight for the inflation.

We may think we are great about tire issues but on any given day a situation can arise that might impact tire life. The perfect time to replace a tire is just before it fails. Unfortunately that's not a viable replacement schedule.

Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/13 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In three years let us know how they made out. Take one off and have it inspected by a qualified tire shop inside and outside.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/13 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 years..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Aging 22.5 tires - how old is too old?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.