RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dadwolf and Seldomseen take on the Government (Shutdown)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dadwolf and Seldomseen take on the Government (Shutdown)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/13 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So good some of the pictures don't look real! Great trip!

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

hl remington

N.E.AR.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/13 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great trip, thank's

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/13 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great trip Eric! After backpacking many times in the Canyon, I have a great respect for those canyons, trails and those camp robbing Ringtail Cats. The Tonto Plateau is a wonderful thoroughfare throughout the canyon. What beautiful scenery, wonderful weather and of course, my favorite, the solitude. But, here is where I am a little perplexed and that is introducing someone to backpacking and their first trip is the Grand Canyon? I did that to one of my childhood friends. You know the type, football hero, track star and all around chic magnet. Well let’s say I hiked him into the ground. Yes, some of the people that think they are really fit, are often ones that suffer the most, in the canyon. Glad you both survived the canyon and a wonderful tale it is!

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/13 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, Eric. One of the best I've read on this forum. And good on you and Mike defying the Govt Shutdown and enjoying the park.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

rwj146

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/13 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outstanding trip report and the usual interesting pictures and descriptions. I agree with Mellow Mike about the defying part.

Not sure how far I could have gotten before I stroked out but thanks for letting me go with you. Bob J.

Courage is endurance for one moment more…
Unknown Marine Second Lieutenant in Vietnam

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/13 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, what a trip it was. Eric was an amazing guide and very patient with me. I trained every day for 4 months starting with a pack that weighed 10 pounds eventually getting up to just shy of 50 pounds and still the hike back up was tough. The most disheartening feeling was watching the mountain goat named Eric pull away every time the trail got really steep. It's amazing the emotional feeling you get after emerging from hiking the canyon...it just spills out after you reach the rim.

One of the things I noticed that Eric mentioned was the "grandness" of the canyon. You realize how remote & small you are. You are miles away from the safety of your truck camper. Miles away from anything you may have forgotten. Miles away from...did I bring enough food with me or do we have enough water? Nobody is going to help you unless you "push the button" on the PLB, and you better not do that, especially with my last name!!

Eric and I shared some thoughts about the Govt. shutdown and our criminal nature that I would like to share: Censored _____ ....and further more bleep bleep bleep _________ Censored.... Thank you.

I would REALLY like to thank the forum. I would've never gotten the chance to meet such fantastic people like this and go places like this. And of course THANK YOU ERIC. Thanks for taking a chance on me.

* This post was edited 10/11/13 10:09pm by dadwolf2 *

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/13 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning Seldom:

What a way to wake up on a Saturday morning! Thoroughly enjoyed reading through your Grand Canyon trek.

On unlikely extreme outdoor sports participants:

Taking a chance on a new-to-the-sport participant (and RVnet alumnus) was 'm sure greatly appreciated. I always remember my expeditions into the Mosquito Coast, of remote Honduras. I had clients that paid exorbitant quantities of money to accompany me on 100 to 230 kilometer treks or kayaking expeditions along coastal and flatland jungle. To give you some idea of this region's physical setting, the British Special Air Services (SAS) do some jungle training in Belize (a region also referred to at times as the Mosquito Coast) because of the region's unusually brutal setting.

My expeditions along "The Coast" entailed walking from sunset to sunrise (in the black of night, lit often and only by the hundreds of acres of illuminated plankton flashing like lightning just off the shoreline, or by the moon) along completely uninhabited shoreline, crossing rivers cutting beaches by floating across, with 60~80 LB backpacks using various techniques, and much more...vetting individuals who wanted to participate was daunting. Some of the most unlikely participants fell into my lap (like a 64 year old retired Swiss home-maker; extreme adventurers from Australia (one of which had to be operated on DURING my expedition for appendicitis, after his expedition partner and I carries him more than 20 kilometers to a village with no electricity, with a Missionary med clinic, on a stretcher I fashioned from jungle materials!); 70 year old neuroscientist (and I who paddled, via sea kayak, more than 720 kilometers of the Caribbean coast, and up and down jungle rivers, from Honduras to Nicaragua (we were the first ever to do this in a sea kayak; a second expedition some years later: a 2000 coastal expedition led by a French duo, followed my sea kayaking expedition by internet and my book, attempted to do the same but with a twist: he paddled the *entire* Central America Isthmus {I was their section adviser on the Honduras/Nicaragua Caribbean leg, where they were attacked by a band of once Sandinista guerrillas armed with AK-47s firing at them off-shore, they encamped & living in a remote part of RAAN Nicaragua, they posing as border officials); and had to, on another of my expeditions, perform surgery (with a medical doctor on my expedition thank God, on a woman in a remote jungle village with a pregnancy gone wrong, during a near hurricane, at 2:15 AM, after paddling 1.6 hours down a raging river in a mahogany dugout canoe in the dark, with 2 flashlights secured to the bow as "headlights", to get to her...

These experiences both the participant and "teacher/mentor" never ever forget!

I never "lost..." a "client"

In photo 0763 appears to be an abandoned (destroyed or absconded) Africanized bee colony (common name in North America: killer bees) ?

Cheers,
Silver-

* This post was last edited 10/12/13 07:29am by silversand *   View edit history

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/13 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW Triple S!!!!!!

Really good to have you back posting again!! What a great TR!! And Mike..........WAY TO GO!!!! Althojugh your PLB was probably a false sense of security as it is monitored by the shut down gov't!!!!

I do have a question tho. I'm dating myself but my backpacking days were done with a wood and canvas Trapper Sam backpack and tent!!! Then it was also safe to drink from creeks. How do you carry enough water for 5 days hiking?

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/13 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last time I backpacked the canyon was 1979. I really need to do it again. And by the looks of your photos the best time to do it is during a gubmint shut-down. Good TR.
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/13 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outstanding work -- both of you.

Cal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dadwolf and Seldomseen take on the Government (Shutdown)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.