|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> The "Milky Way" test of a boondocking site

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/18 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another beautiful photo......Thanks profdant139! [emoticon]

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/18 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love all the shots Dan, please keep them coming. And I do have to say you've inspired me to get out my camera and see what I can produce. One request though that I'm really curious about. Would you please post a before and after photo of your Wheeler Peak Nevada photo (about six posts up)so we can better appreciate the editing results?
Thanks

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/18 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should’ve tried.....the Milky Way was clearly visible, here at the house last night!

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opnspaces, here we go! This is the original shot, right out of the camera – a 30 second exposure at an ISO of 3200, with no editing:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Here is the same shot, after some editing – I brightened the Milky Way by “wiping” it with a virtual brush in Lightroom:

[image]

And here is the final version – I first brushed the snow with some light. When the snow came out purple, I decreased the saturation of the purple in order to make the snow look white:

[image]

I must add that I am not even close to a professional. A real pro would use PhotoShop, and the results would be a lot clearer.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/18 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thought -- if you look at the final version, you can see that there is a band of darkness along the ridgeline. That was caused by the steepness of the slope. The ridge threw a deep shadow on the steeper northern part of the mountainside. Since there was no moon that night, the only light source was the Milky Way, to the south of the ridge.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the Milky Way. I enjoy looking at from the backyard in Nevada at 5,000 feet.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine, that must also mean that you can see the meteor showers that come around several times a year -- what a gift to be able to see them without driving for hundreds of miles to get to a clear dark sky!

On the other hand, if I lived in a quiet dark uncrowded place, perhaps I might do less traveling and camping than I now do??

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant,
You bring up a good point. I have always wanted to live in a place with a million acre back yard and wild horses and eagles around. I have a campsite in my back yard. It is quiet, beautiful and there is a hot tub and plenty of ice. I still like to go camping. Just returned from 5 days in Yosemite staying in the old wall tent.

I have no patience now for crowded camp grounds in the summer. We head for the boondocks or the back country. My favoirite trips are in the quiet season or out in the desert in winter.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/18 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the before and after photos, there is a dramatic difference. As luck would have it I'm headed to the desert tomorrow and this just reminded me to see if I can find my tripod.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been stuck in town for several months due to family obligations, just wishing I could get away. We're hoping to get into the Eastern Sierra toward the end of the month to take advantage of the dark of the moon, at least for a few days, but who knows if it will happen?

So as a poor substitute for travel, I am going back and re-editing some of my favorite Milky Way shots. I'm posting this pair (below) to illustrate the power of editing in the digital age. The first one is the shot that came out of the camera, and the second has been re-edited in Lightroom, which is like Photoshop for Amateurs. (I am still learning how to take full advantage of editing.)

You'll notice a meteor trail in the upper right corner of the second shot -- I did not even see it when I first took and edited this photo!!

The mountains were faintly illuminated by a sliver of the moon as it was setting on the other side of the canyon -- so that enabled me to increase the exposure of the mountains without washing out the stars.

And the key to making the Milky Way "pop" was to wipe the Milky Way with a brush and slightly increase the exposure and the contrast. Using the virtual "brush" means that those changes only affect the area covered by the brush-stroke.

Anyway, this is the original shot:

[image]

And this is the latest version of the same shot, edited:

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> The "Milky Way" test of a boondocking site
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS