|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My favorite Generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MM49

Brighton, MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/13 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Honda EU1000i. The generator works very well to power a 40amp PD converter. I like the Honda now, but that wasn't always the case.

My generator throttle would bounce on ECO mode under light load. I found out that the fuel screw on the carburetor was set too lean and had an anti-tamper cover installed on it.

When I set the fuel screw to full rich it would still governor bounce even though it had an electronic governor!

I replaced the fuel screw with a service part and adjusted the screw until the generator just started to run smooth. When the generator was put under load it would purr like a kitten.

Adjusting the carburetor was very difficult. The carburetor needs to be removed from the engine to adjust. Then it must be re-installed to test. This very time consuming process, but it is worth the hassle.

All of the modern inverter generators are tuned for emissions, not performance. If you really want to see real performance of your generator you need to tune the carburetor correctly.
MM49

mtnman1989

Collettsville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/13 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the modern inverter generators are tuned for emissions

That is probably why I like my old Honda 600 so much, it is easy to adjust the carb to purr.
mtnman

MM49

Brighton, MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/13 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The good thing about the fuel screw adjustment is the main jet on the carb is an emulsion tube design. This makes the fuel screw very insensitive to adjustment. There is quite a wide range of adjustment. I wonder how Honda got it so wrong. I am at 1000ft altitude. They must have sold a generator for a different market.
MM49

* This post was edited 11/24/13 03:29pm by MM49 *

Dalo

Camarillo, Calif.

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/13 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a little Honda EX650 that I bought in 1983. It won't quit running. It even got stolen once and I thought I'd never see it again. The cops recovered it the next day and that little Honda never missed a beat. It still runs quiet and only sips the fuel. Sometimes I wish it would quit and then I would buy me a new Honda or Yamaha 2000. If I can just get another 30 yrs out of it I'll at least feel like I got my moneys worth (lol). The only thing I've ever done to it is change the oil and cleaned the carb.
Dale

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with 5.9L Cummins, K&N air filter, Magnaflow exhaust and Hypertech power programmer
2003 Alumascape 26' travel trailer

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/13 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a Honda EX650. Nice litle bugger, I'll sell it off & get a larger Honda.

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/13 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends upon what you want to use the EX650 for and where you want to use it.

With an EX650 powering the right 30 amp multi-stage charger, the EX650 will put 30 amps into a battery bank for around 5 hours - or all day long if you add another 0.6 gallons of fuel and if the batteries will take that current that long.

The EX650 will do it quieter, too. Remember that the EX650's noise level is 54 dB at full power output and the newer Honda's are 53 dB only when idling. So ... the new Honda's will be running a ways above their 53dB idling noise level while they're powering a 30 amp charger, but the EX650 will be no higher than 54dB while it's running the same charger.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/13 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've wondered about someone making a generator whose specific purpose is for charging batteries and nothing else. I'd love to see a true high amperage multistage battery charger on a generator (including equalize and desulfate modes.) Plus, with Eco-Throttle or variable RPMs, it would be fairly quiet once the batteries start floating/desulfating.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

I've wondered about someone making a generator whose specific purpose is for charging batteries and nothing else. I'd love to see a true high amperage multistage battery charger on a generator (including equalize and desulfate modes.) Plus, with Eco-Throttle or variable RPMs, it would be fairly quiet once the batteries start floating/desulfating.

What do you suppose my EU 1000 connected to my PD9245 w/ equalize and desulfate mode. is compared to your description above.

A 650 Honda doesn't use much fuel, because it won't do much work.
I doubt very seriously that it will power any 30 amp converter that is truly putting out 30 amp. And do I recall the 650 being heavier than the 1000 ? I picked one up in the Hawk shop not long ago, and couldn't believe how heavy it was.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/13 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Honda EX650 weighs 51 lbs. because it has mostly steel in it everywhere ... instead of a plastic casing and some other plastic parts as is in the newer Hondas. The inside walls of the EX650's steel encloser are insulated for additional sound proofing in addition to it's entire design being done by Honda engineers for minimum sound.

These are the reasons that the EX650 is so bullet-proof and has a very low constant sound level of only 54 dB.

A 30 amp charger holding 14.4 volts on an RV battery will draw around 432 watts - not counting efficiency losses in the charger. If the charger is 80% efficient, it will take 540 watts to power it for delivering 30 amps into a battery at a boost voltage of 14.4 volts.

The Honda EX650 will deliver 650 watts surge and 550 watts continuous, so it should do the 30 amp job unless the charger is a really inefficient one. It's almost as if the EX650 was specifically designed to do 30 battery charging. If you use a Power Factor Corrected charger, the EX650 might even fully power a 35 amp charger.

Here's a link to the specifications of the earlier non-inverter Honda portable generators. It's too bad that Honda didn't enclose their modern 1000i generator in a case like that of the EX650 for an ULTRA QUIET generator:

http://www.tappedin.com/hop/html/litegen.htm

I also use a like brand new EX1000 out around the property for powering 120V hand tools ... but note that the EX1000 is louder ... so I carry the EX650 in the RV instead of the EX1000.

NinerBikes

Somewhere camping

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/13 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

The Honda EX650 weighs 51 lbs. because it has mostly steel in it everywhere ... instead of a plastic casing and some other plastic parts as is in the newer Hondas. The inside walls of the EX650's steel encloser are insulated for additional sound proofing in addition to it's entire design being done by Honda engineers for minimum sound.

These are the reasons that the EX650 is so bullet-proof and has a very low constant sound level of only 54 dB.

A 30 amp charger holding 14.4 volts on an RV battery will draw around 432 watts - not counting efficiency losses in the charger. If the charger is 80% efficient, it will take 540 watts to power it for delivering 30 amps into a battery at a boost voltage of 14.4 volts.

The Honda EX650 will deliver 650 watts surge and 550 watts continuous, so it should do the 30 amp job unless the charger is a really inefficient one. It's almost as if the EX650 was specifically designed to do 30 battery charging. If you use a Power Factor Corrected charger, the EX650 might even fully power a 35 amp charger.

Here's a link to the specifications of the earlier non-inverter Honda portable generators. It's too bad that Honda didn't enclose their modern 1000i generator in a case like that of the EX650 for an ULTRA QUIET generator:

http://www.tappedin.com/hop/html/litegen.htm

I also use a like brand new EX1000 out around the property for powering 120V hand tools ... but note that the EX1000 is louder ... so I carry the EX650 in the RV instead of the EX1000.

51 pounds is 3 pounds more than a Honda Eu2000i. For 1/3 the wattage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My favorite Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS