RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Road tripping Yosemite in a winter storm

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Road tripping Yosemite in a winter storm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/13 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip and photos. We would go out more often then we do in the winter but Michigan LOVES to lay down a nice thick layer of salt on the roads even if it only LOOKS like it may snow.

Sometimes at night when it's real quiet I can hear the rusted metal falling off my truck and landing on the driveway.[emoticon]
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Fishbreath

home

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She is a keeper!

It's hard enough to get my wife to go camping in the summer. She looked at this posting and told me "that weather is why they have hotels".

Great report. I hope your better half makes a speedy recovery

Bill

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your TR is a perfect example of how a well-matched couple with a well-equipped TC and excellent outdoor skills can have a wonderful time in spite of weather and injuries. You survived and shared your great story with us.

Other less-skilled and less-fortunate people would be out there lost somewhere, making newspaper headlines and experience for rescue teams.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzz - I had been expecting an exciting TR but was shocked to hear Ruth got hurt. Hope she recovers quick! Thanks for posting pics anyway...I would be trying to forget this trip already!

Those ice trax can be unforgiving if they slip even a little. Got mine at Bass Pro Shops on way to Yosemite once.

TimH

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut, Very nice photos. I have been in Yosemite every month of the year. Sorry to hear about your wife's accident. Get well soon.

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

the tc life

colbert wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/13 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

awesome. I had to stop to inspect the picture of the beer closer. oh yeah...the other pics were great too.
I have really been thinking about getting into snowshoeing. we are downhill skiers so that is how a lot of our outdoor winter play gets spent but id like to check it out. your pictures make me want to do some snowshoeing even more.

2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/13 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric,
Just great report here. I too was stopped cold when you mentioned Ruth's downfall. Ruth is some woman alright. She reminds me of my Queen who has endless guts when we get into a tough situation like this. She is also an RN, which helps with our well being when way out in the sticks. Luckily we don't have to triage very often. We also snow shoe and use Yak-Trax.
I'm sorry it didn't work out for us on this trip. You are an XTC-er of the first water....or is that first ice. It sounds like you have paramedic training, which came in handy this time.
Thanks for the story and pix. You did all the right stuff to prepare for the blastoff into the arctic cold of The Yosemite. The Honda 2K was almost swallowed up in the snow. Hope to see you and Ruth down the road.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well thanks guys. I am a retired firefighter and current EMT, experieced mt guide and dive instructor. Ruth flew A4 jets off aircraft carriers which means she did survival school and pow camp, she is also an experienced backpacker. lots of talent between the two of us

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/13 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! What a great trip! Love, love love Yosemite!! I've also been there in the winter and it really is a magical place!~ and so quiet!! I've not camped there in the winter though. Living in the mountains where I have snow it's not so wonderful to try and get out of the snow only to go back into the snow somewhere else! I do camp in my driveway though! [emoticon] Thanks for the report and wonderful photos! Here's to Ruth healing REALLY fast so you can go again!

Dak

2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/13 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excuse me? "Ruth flew A4 jets off aircraft carriers which means she did survival school and pow camp."Buzzcut, that is not a throwaway line. That's the "lead" of the story. It explains how in the world you guys do what you do.

In our case we were driven before a storm scrambling to get over the next hill. You guys charged into the storm, and had a ball in spite of a significant injury. You appear to be well prepared, and use the TC in the unique way that only a truck camper can be utilized. Great report - but also great inspiration.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Road tripping Yosemite in a winter storm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.