|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2001 Lance 1121 Rot Repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buffettphan wrote:

What parts are you talking about?

I was responding to the post above mine from ClassicB.

These.....

[image]

And these....

[image]

They can be purchased (for a small $$$um) from Lance if yours have rotted out like mine. Each "kit" comes with the parts to fix one side: an inner panel, a filon panel, a short length of edge trim, a sausage tube of some type of sealant goop, and no instructions.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/02/20 05:36am by NRALIFR *

lincolnmatthews

PNW WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/14 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did this same repair to my 93 880 Lance, amazing I thought just how crappy these campers are built. Plain steel wood screws & staples & chip board they know there building them cheaply!
My steel bumper was rusty also, so I removed it & it was just lagged to the wood stringer that ran under the door & was gone also, because they hadn't sealed where the bumper & fasteners attached to this cross piece.
I recommend removing the bumper & checking this wood. I replaced all mine & replaced it with clear fir.I used 1" marine plywood for both "wings" & used West Epoxy through out the rebuild, so much stronger than any glue or even the wood itself. Besides it penetrates the wood to keep it from rotting in the future.
I used Sikaflex sealant for each screw (SS) then sprayed the inner plywood with a black undercoating to match Lance's "cheesy" black paper material that they had used on mine. I then had the bumper sandblasted & jacks all color matched. It now looks like new but only better by far!
I would strongly recommend using the marine epoxy system over glue, coat all wood with this material (thins out when warm, penetrates better)

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/14 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent last weekend putting the skin on the two new panels. It went pretty well, although it was a learning experience. I did the passenger side first, mainly because there's only one compartment opening to mess with. I was really cautious about cutting this first panel, as I didn't want to make any mistakes that couldn't be fixed.

I made a paper template first just to play with a material that was disposable. I transferred the outline of the template on to the filon, initially intending to cut it a little large with a jigsaw, then trim the edges with a panel trimming bit in a router. I ended up just cutting the front edge with the jigsaw, though. I drilled a hole close to the edge of the compartment opening, then used the panel bit in my roto-zip to cut the compartment opening out. I realized when looking at my roto-zip that it would take the larger shank of the router bits, so I used it instead. Being smaller and lighter, it was easier to use for this.

[image]

The new filon is whiter than the old stuff, but I didn't really expect it to match. I'm not sure if the old filon was ever that bright.

[image]

I used 1" staples around all the edges, and some adhesive on the luan side of the filon panel. The trim will cover all of the staples.

[image]

The area that hangs down next to the bumper turned out pretty nice.

[image]

After getting the hang of using the panel trimming bit on the passenger side, I didn't bother making a template for the driver side. I clamped the panel in place, traced the contour of the front edge onto the backside of the filon panel, then cut it a little large with a jigsaw. The top edge on this side isn't a straight cut as you can see, so I had to make that cut as well. Before stapling the panel in place, I put some foam in the compartments to keep all the sawdust from getting into places I couldn't clean out.

[image]

The compartment doors back in place. Upper door is outside shower.

[image]

The seams on both sides will be covered with some plastic trim like this, but I can't reuse the old trim since the seams are now longer than they were before. I need to locate a source for some. When it's used on a car, it's called "body side molding". Finding it in white or cream is going to be an added challenge. I'll check with some of the RV dealers locally.

[image]

I need to coat the edges of the filon with spar urethane, and then put the edge trim back on the rear corners so I can then put the jacks back on. Then I can raise the camper up a little and finish trimming and caulking this up.

There may not be anything worthy of another update to this topic, but if there is I'll post it. Caulk isn't very exciting. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/02/20 05:47am by NRALIFR *

stickbowjoe

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/14 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yow! Very nice work, Sir.

You make me glad that I just traded in my 2004 Lance 1010, having experienced no such problems.

I hate to think it might disintegrate into a pile of goo on the lawn of the man who buys it, though.

Joe

2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

bookmaker

Marianna, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/14 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ugh, my 2004 1121 needs the passenger side repaired. The driver side look s OK, but not sure it really is.

My real problem is that somehow a water leak has damaged the floor just inside the rear door. Not sure how to go about that.

Nice work.

Dlae

Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/14 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bookmaker wrote:

Ugh, my 2004 1121 needs the passenger side repaired. The driver side look s OK, but not sure it really is.

My real problem is that somehow a water leak has damaged the floor just inside the rear door. Not sure how to go about that.

Nice work.

Thanks. The passenger side is probably the easier of the two sides to replace since it doesn't have wires running through it, only has one compartment opening, and the top edge is straight rather than stepped like the driver side.

Sorry to hear about your damaged floor. If you look at the pictures of my camper with the side panels off, you can see how the floor of the camper is made. A 2x2 framework with a 1/2" sheet of OSB on top, and a 1/8" sheet of lauan plywood on the bottom.

Can you tell how big the damaged area is? Is it just the OSB that's under the linoleum, or is the 2x2 floor structure damaged too? If it's just the OSB and it doesn't extend under the shower area or into the generator compartment, you might be able to get away with cutting out the bad area in the center aisle and replacing it with a new piece.

You're probably going to have to start by cutting out a section of the linoleum to see how bad it is and go from there. If the damaged area is bigger than the aisle or involves more than just the top sheet of OSB, you'll probably have to remove the bumper and the holding tanks to repair it.

[emoticon][emoticon]

bookmaker

Marianna, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/14 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info about the structure under the floor. No I don't know how much is damaged. I hope just the OSB. The problem is I don't know where the water is coming from. I thought it was from the corner seams of the threshold, but tried sealing those and it just got worse.

My biggest problem is I have just too many projects to tackle the repairs and I don't trust any of the reasonably local repair shops to work on it.

Dale

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/14 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After getting the two rear skirt panels installed, I put the edge trim back on that would be blocked by the jacks, and then reinstalled the jacks. The camper is back on it's feet again, yea!

[image]

The jacks are straighter now than they've ever been since I've owned this camper.

[image]

Before putting the long pieces of edge trim back on that run from front to rear, I got a wild hair and decided to do something that I'd been wanting to do for a long time: cover the tub and the undersides of the wings with FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) panels. FRP panels are typically used to cover shower walls, or sometimes entire bathroom walls, and for back-splashes. The vinyl wallpaper like material that covered these areas originally had loosened and was peeling because moisture had gotten behind it. While removing the vinyl covering with a heat gun from under the wing on the driver side, I discovered that the wood along the outer edge was rotted enough that it needed to be replaced. As you can see here, the lauan plywood has been replaced on the underside of the wing.

[image]

I was a little apprehensive about what I would find behind the plywood, but fortunately the rot was confined to the skin. Getting the new lauan cut around the city water inlet and the LP T-junction box was a little tricky without removing a bunch of stuff I didn't want to. Because the wing was more than eight feet long, there was going to have to be a seam in the plywood somewhere. I positioned the seam so it cut through the middle of the hole for the water inlet, and along one side of the LP box. You can see them poking through the plywood in this picture.

[image]

FRP is pretty tough material, it should protect the tub from getting damaged by stuff I store in the truck bed next to the camper. It has a rough, bubbled texture one one side that you can see here.

[image]

I think it was JoeChiOki that gave me the idea of using FRP for this. He used some in his Kit camper rebuild project, and it looked like interesting stuff. So, thanks for the idea, Joe. My shoulders thank you too. They love it when I take on a project that involves lots of upside-down and over-the-head work. [emoticon] This would be a lot easier if I could turn the camper on it's side.

I hope to have both sides of the tub covered in the next few weeks, get the trim back on, caulk it up, and then GO CAMPING DOGGONEIT!!!

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/02/20 05:54am by NRALIFR *

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/14 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like your excellent report.

I can't say that I enjoyed it though... I felt the pain... the aggravation of substandard factory builds.

I know that many of us caused the problems.... we want more and more appliances, solar panels, bigger water and holding tanks.... and we want to haul our mega campers on trucks with barely enough capacity.

It's much bigger trucks or the lightest possible campers...

Filon. Ugg!

The truck manufacturers also have a problem... they build trucks with minimum amounts of ridged metals... to increase the amount of payload...

ligt weight framing which makes the trucks flex in subtle ways... those flexs are transfered to the campers... furthur stressing the campers light weight frames and the filon... causing gaps, tears, leaks and rots.

It is our fault. If we could just be satisfied with reasonable wants.

Thanks for posting the fixs...

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/14 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks sleepy. I can't say I've enjoyed every aspect of this repair project either. I put it off for as long as I dared, and was very worried after I started it that it may turn out to be in much worse shape than it appeared. The camper is after all 13 years old this year.

Now that it appears that I'll be able to get things back together without having to totally rebuild a major section, I'm feeling a little better. There's still several hours of work to do yet, though. Covering the tub area with FRP is tedious work, and a little uncomfortable at times. Cutting it is easy enough, straight cuts from edge to edge can be made just by scoring the backside and snapping the panel. But many of the cuts require a circular saw, sonicrafter, or a hole-saw, and that sends glass fibers into the air that are just as bad as working with fiberglass insulation bats. I'm using FRP adhesive to stick it to the camper, which is applied with a notched trowel just in case anyone is wondering. A little messy at times, and it has to be cleaned up with mineral spirits.

As far as loving or hating filon goes, I'm sorta agnostic. It could probably be as good as any other RV siding, but the way it's attached to a backing material that readily absorbs water (hydrophilic?) it seems to me is inviting problems. I'm not even sure if coating things with spar urethane like I did is going to help that or make it worse. Time will tell, I guess.

And btw, MY wants are ALWAYS reasonable. It's those "other guys" that want unreasonable stuff! [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2001 Lance 1121 Rot Repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.