|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2001 Lance 1121 Rot Repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
starcraft69

northern California(State Of Jefferson)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/14 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow thank you I am about to start the same thing and this really helps. It looks like you are doing a great job!!!!!!!!!!!

2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

bookmaker

Marianna, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/14 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRA, as to the color difference, I had a hole that was punched in the nose of my 1121 and the shop painted the repaired area. (generator repair shop did that damage 2 weeks after I bought the camper) They matched the color almost perfectly and it has been about 7 years now and it still looks great. I wish I knew what kind of paint it was, but they did a great job. Maybe you can find a paint shop that can make a recommendation.

The shop that did my repair that time was in St Augustine, FL. They did a great job on that repair, but not so hot doing some basic sealing.

Dale

* This post was edited 03/02/14 02:37pm by bookmaker *

Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/14 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, I'll probably look into that after I get it all back together and sealed up. Because of how cold it's been lately, it's difficult to get the trim pieces settled into the putty tape underneath them. I used a heat gun and a propane heater to help soften it up as I was installing the edge trim behind the jacks, then caulked it up. The first warm day we had caused the putty to ooze out some more and push the caulking loose so I'll have to redo some of it.

I've also been thinking about just applying some graphics to those two panels to hide the color difference. Old school hot-rod flames perhaps? [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

NRALIFR

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/14 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the FRP installed on the driver-side of the tub/wing area. Starting to caulk it up and put the edge trim back on.

[image]

I really like the way this area looks now.

[image]

I'm going to try to get this side buttoned up soon because I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get the FRP on the other side done. I may just have to put the edge trim back on both sides and tackle the FRP on the passenger-side next winter. The boss had shoulder surgery a week ago, and the day after her surgery I slipped and fell on the ice and hurt my left shoulder. How bad I don't know yet, but I've had a painful right shoulder for several years from old injuries that are beyond fixing, so now I have two painful shoulders. I saw the Doc today and got a shot in the right shoulder for the pain (hate that), and I'll have an MRI on the left shoulder in a few days. Depending on what course of treatment is recommended, I could end up like the boss with my left arm immobilized for 6 weeks. Or not. It just depends.

At least the FRP looks good though. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was last edited 05/02/20 05:58am by NRALIFR *   View edit history

NRALIFR

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/14 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an MRI on my left shoulder a few days ago. Haven't heard back yet on what I did to it, but it's feeling well enough to continue working on this. I'll keep chipping away at it as long as I can.

I put the edge trim back on the driver-side last weekend. Had to spend a good while cleaning all the old goop off of it first. Then put new putty tape on the inside surface, and hung it in place using the two tie down eye-bolts that go through it. Then working from the front corner, I used a 2x6 board and the camper jacks to press the trim into place and squeeze the putty tape flat. I'd raise the camper, place the board where i wanted it, lower the camper against the board and let it sit for a few minutes while I put a screw in. Then raise the camper, move the board 6" or so toward the rear and do it all over again.

[image]

Now it looks like this:

[image]

This area where the trim goes down the front edge of the skirt was the hardest. Had to get out my long pipe clamps to squeeze the trim into place here.

[image]

I also found a source for some stick-on molding to cover the seam on each side. A place called Brandsport has the flat trim in several widths and colors. I ordered a couple of color sample cards from them off their website (free) and there are 3-4 that will work fine. I can either go with a cream/off-white color like what was on there, or try a color that is close the the colors used in the decals on the camper. Haven't decided yet, but I'll be ordering some soon. I'll probably use 2" wide molding rather than the OEM 1.5" so I don't have to do something strange looking to cover the stepped cut on the driver side skirt.

Now I've moved to the passenger side and have removed the vinyl covering from the lauan plywood covering the wing and tub area using a heat gun. It came off pretty easily. The wood is in good shape on this side. That white area around the 110v outlet and the fridge drain is from an earlier repair. The fridge drain wasn't installed correctly and was causing water to get inside the structure and rot the plywood.

[image]

I guess just for consistency I'll put some spar-urethane on the wood before I put the FRP on it.

More later...........

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/02/20 06:03am by NRALIFR *

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/14 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Repair Job, I can't wait to see the finished job. I wish I had the patience and place to attempt such a job.

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

NRALIFR

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/14 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm close..... I'm really close to finishing this!!!

I got the FRP on the passenger side today.

This was a 2 Advil plus a beer day, but I got it on there.

[image]

This has taken almost three sheets of FRP, and about 1-3/4 gallons of adhesive.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/02/20 06:06am by NRALIFR *

NRALIFR

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/14 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can hardly believe it, but I've finally finished this repair! The last few weeks have been particularly challenging, as I've been trying to finish this with injured shoulders. The MRI I had on my left shoulder showed what I expected it would......... rotator cuff tears, plus old injuries that I probably aggravated when I fell on the ice. I've already talked to the Doc about the possibility of repairing it, and it's only about 50/50 that he could do any good, so I'm going to just give my shoulders a good long break from doing this kind of stuff and hopefully I'll be able to hold off surgery for a few years.

Anyway, enough of that stuff. Let me show you how this turned out! I'm really kind of proud of it. Getting the edge trim back on the passenger-side was a little more difficult than the driver-side since I didn't have a wall to brace against. I ended up using a couple of load bars I have for securing things in the bed of the truck. Load bars are those things that truck drivers use to secure cargo inside a trailer. They expand and press against the inside walls. Those worked great for compressing the putty tape under the edge trim.

[image]

[image]

The edge trim is in place and caulked here.

[image]

I also got the molding installed to cover the seam in the filon. Because the seam is now higher up on the skirt, I had to get a little fancy in how I terminated it on the forward end. The only way I was going to get this to match up was to stick it down, then cut and shape it in place. I cut it with a razor knife, then used a Dremmel tool with a sanding drum to round the edges freehand, then used some acetone to smooth the surface. The top edge has been caulked.

[image]

The awning support got cut into the molding a little on this end.

[image]

Putting the molding on this side had an added challenge. The surface height of the skirt filon came in a little lower than the height of the skin above it. I had to use a couple layers of 3M VHB tape to even out the surface so the molding would cover the seam without looking funny. The seam is also very close to the compartment door below it.

[image]

This is how the driver-side turned out. I had to cut and shape the molding around the compartment door. The strange color of the trim is my attempt to touch up some scratches with paint I thought would be "close enough"...... NOT! I'll have to find something that's a better match.

[image]

So for the first time is about five months, the camper is back on the truck where it belongs.

[image]

[image]

I wasn't able to wash the camper before starting the repair last November, so It's looked pretty bad all winter. It got a bath today, and the anti-freeze flushed out of its system.

[image]

The weekend after Easter, we will be going to Greenleaf State Park in OK and hope to introduce my grand-daughter to the joys of camping with Gandpa.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was last edited 05/02/20 06:17am by NRALIFR *   View edit history

bookmaker

Marianna, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/14 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really nice work

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/14 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outstanding job! Hope your shoulders feel better just getting that job off them!

TimH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2001 Lance 1121 Rot Repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.