RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Pin box bike rack

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Pin box bike rack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/17/14 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front mount bikes racks are an option. However they present clearance issues,may block headlights and vision,extend the front end and reduce air flow to the engine. Pin box racks do not create any of the above issues.
I had a front end rack for awhile, but then I discovered the superiority of tongue mounted/pin box bike racks and have not looked back.


2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


canadian redneck

Petrolia, On. Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 03/06/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/17/14 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Scott 85 you also have a short bed which may create clearance issues


I have a short box F350 and I often carry 2 kayaks on the roof of the truck with the ends sticking about 1 foot over the back of the roof and 2 bikes on our pin box mounted bike rack and still have no issues.

[image]


2006 F350 CC SB PSD & 2008 Cameo 5'er


lpxguy

Chalfont PA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/17/14 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott_85 wrote:

I like that idea but I don't want to remove my hitch cover do install it.


I still have my cover....I made mine though
[image]
[image]


2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)


Scott_85

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/17/14 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This is the problem.


TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS


nremtp143

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/17/14 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made mine for under $40. Several of us have. Do a search and you will see many of them. As far as the shroud, it can be removed very easily.


2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4


sunnybrooktoyhauler

new jersey

Full Member

Joined: 03/03/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/19/14 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built one very similer to lpxguy. Would not have it any other way. I use a swagman bike rack. It only takes about an hour of your time. Have 2 friends that want me to make them one. Just waiting for the snow/ ice to go away

ependydad

Here and there

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/20/14 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lpxguy wrote:

Scott_85 wrote:

I like that idea but I don't want to remove my hitch cover do install it.


I still have my cover....I made mine though


lpxguy -

I actually was looking at another of your pictures of the actual un-finished product. This looks to be a receiver tube, a piece of angle steel on either side and a cap for the front. Can you tell me how long each side of the angle steel it is? Looks to be ballpark 2"-3"?

[image]


2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page


Puddles

Lafayette, Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 03/17/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/14 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

lpxguy wrote:

Scott_85 wrote:

I like that idea but I don't want to remove my hitch cover do install it.


I still have my cover....I made mine though


lpxguy -

I actually was looking at another of your pictures of the actual un-finished product. This looks to be a receiver tube, a piece of angle steel on either side and a cap for the front. Can you tell me how long each side of the angle steel it is? Looks to be ballpark 2"-3"?

[image]


Have a simular setup... used 2x2 angle iron 6" long... rec tube is 6"... bike rack is a 914 Thule that holds the bike wheels.. rack will tip down which helps with loading bikes...


HTML

ependydad

Here and there

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/20/14 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Puddles wrote:

Have a simular setup... used 2x2 angle iron 6" long... rec tube is 6"... bike rack is a 914 Thule that holds the bike wheels.. rack will tip down which helps with loading bikes...


Thanks, Puddles. The 2x2 angle iron means each side is 2"? (Sorry, I'm a computer guy- my father-in-law is the mechanical one.)

I have a Thule rack that the bikes hang from. It'll have to do for a while.

I've also been looking at an ATV cover put on them to protect from bugs and stuff.

Puddles

Lafayette, Indiana

Senior Member

Joined: 03/17/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/20/14 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

Puddles wrote:

Have a simular setup... used 2x2 angle iron 6" long... rec tube is 6"... bike rack is a 914 Thule that holds the bike wheels.. rack will tip down which helps with loading bikes...


Thanks, Puddles. The 2x2 angle iron means each side is 2"? (Sorry, I'm a computer guy- my father-in-law is the mechanical one.)

I have a Thule rack that the bikes hang from. It'll have to do for a while.

I've also been looking at an ATV cover put on them to protect from bugs and stuff.


Yes, on the 2"... the hanging rack will work, but it'll be way up there to load... great to remove and install on the truck for side trips on the bikes... I looked for a cover also... ended up going to a canvas shop that makes boat, grain wagon covers. Has grommlets all around the bottom so that I can lace it below the bikes... needs to be tough stuff, lots of wind up there... cost $180.. Travel Safe [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Pin box bike rack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS