|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Campground Ghosts and windblown success

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/14 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photo's. A little wind never hurts, it cleans the air. On out last trip out in 2013, we were hit with wind at 60 MPH, tore our slide awning. We usually take in our slide, but this storm came out of nowhere. So this spring, ( IF IT EVER COMES) we will look for a replacement. 72 plus inches of SNOW so far, but more is coming.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/14 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it ironic, or perhaps poetic, that you enjoy recreating at a former worksite of a former employer. But it is stocked with tempting trout.

It was there that I pursued my younger recreation-windsurfing!

RE: Blinky. The lake is constructed above the plant as a gravity flow emergency cooling source. The water source is Lake Nimbus through the canal. No remote possibility of any runoff contamination, but the jokes persist to this day.

My FIL, an avid trout fisherman, was very afraid of ever "fishing for blinky." But he didn't mind fishing in western sierra streams that are contaminated with Mercury from the gold mining era.

OK, TMI

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/14 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked out there in the 'glory days' when we had upwards of 2000 employees on site at any given time. Towards the end of my career, I took care of the spent fuel storage security systems; ISFISI security
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/basic-ref/........ent-fuel-storage-installation-isfsi.html

I also went to the lake regularly to test the siren system. There was a network of radio controlled sirens to let anyone within ear shot know we were "having a BBQ at the ranch." Ha! Along with the sirens were Institutional Alert Monitors. These were installed in schools, public buildings, prisons, etc. I'd test them once a month. Once, at Mule Creek Prison, I was checking out the ILM, which is located deep in the prison in a glass walled room that can look 360* to monitor prison activities. Prison trustees were in that room on occasion when I was there. A guard asked me what they were to do if the ILM tripped off. I told him to lock everyone in their cells and to head up into the mountains. (Same mountains Buzz took photos of) The trustee didn't like THAT very much. Ha!!

But back to the thread; the only water that could potentially be contaminated would be water the flowed OUT of the Ranch. Many local farmers claimed harm to their livestock from radioactive runoff and filed lawsuits. I don't believe any of them made it to a court room...

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/14 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must have gone through that area at just the right time, got rain but not wind. Glad you had a fun trip. Thanks for sharing it.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/14 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool dogs, cool ramps, cool everything! I think you left "chef" off your last job description too there Buzz.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/14 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo wrote:

Cool dogs, cool ramps, cool everything! I think you left "chef" off your last job description too there Buzz.

Ok I must confess. At age 12 dad said I was too old for an allowance and I was going to work in the family restaurant. I started out mopping floors and restocking, and then progressed to waiting on folks at the counter which I hated. One day a cook quit and I asked if I could fill in. I spent the next four summers as a short order cook working for Pops. In college I paid my way though working as a line chef and a sous chef at various restaurants. I do enjoy cooking.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/14 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting a nice write-up and pics. Between seeing the dogs wind-blown fur and the ripples on the lake, I could practically feel the wind blowing through our house.

Oh! Speaking of wind -- We had a small tornado touch down in Mesa, AZ a couple days ago. Very rare in these parts.

Also, x2 on liking those cool curb ramps!

Happy travels.

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/14 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzz, another great trip report. Your trip reports wouldn't be the same without the pups and your food.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Campground Ghosts and windblown success
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.