RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What did you do to your truck today?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What did you do to your truck today?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 45  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

Got truck back from body shop that installed new roof skin.
Spent good part of the day reinstalling interior I had removed (headliner, visors, trim etc).
Another day rewiring, CB, custom interior light that controls exterior 3rd brake light functions, GPS ant etc. I have a lot of funny wiring.

[image]

[image]
Gosh- why is it leaking? Even heavy fog water dripping inside. Outside of the window rubber all that was visible was the bubbled paint.

Knew I had problem but extent surprised me.
Pretty sure cause, other than being a block from the Pacific, was bad glass replacement (scratched) few years ago.

[image]

I really wanted to attempt repair and if anyplace other than windshield would have.
However once I seen the required drilling of 100+ spot welds glad I had it done. 4 days in the shop-done, likely I'd still be drilling[emoticon]
Probably spend a few hours today putting all my 'stuff' back in the truck.

Quandary now is clearance/ID marker lights.
Truck is over 80" wide so required but really don't want to drill 15 holes in new roof. Didn't have issue with them on original install but just don't want to do again.

As someone who bought a used suburban from the southern seaboard area of california that was from the 80s, I know that rust well [emoticon]. Mercifully, the body and frame is destined for the junkyard, I bought it off the neighbor who spent the money to haul it back for what buying another 350 small block, a 700R4 w/transfer case, 4x4 front and rear axles and spring mounts/perchs etc... would have cost me, but it is chock full of rust holes and badly done and now failing bondo patches.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya, like the J. Geils Band song "Rust Stinks" [emoticon]..

Got ID lights installed in Grill.. thanks for the suggestion Bedlam

[image]

Jury's still out, functional but unsure. Looks a bit like the **** magnet left on going thru Pep Boys.
Do serve purpose at least for awhile.
[image]

Found another option for cab lights without drilling or wiring. Caboveramerica.com makes lights that don't require
drilling or wiring. Remote controlled, Solar charged battery powered cab lights. Pretty slick.
But they are really expensive.
Camper has ID lights and truck cab lights are switched off because of reflection so battery lights not receiving
charge wouldn't be an issue.

Hard to justify 10X the cost and I have a new set of cab lights on hand. Maybe after paint has cured awhile,
unless these grow on me, install them on cab.
The grill lights would probably look OK in-conjunction with cab lights. Things that could be done...

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

What’s the purpose? Are you thinking someone can’t see your headlights and running lights?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over a certain width requires the center lights whether hauling, towing or just a wide stance. This is why they are required even on some SRW model trucks.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

AnEv942 wrote:

What’s the purpose? Are you thinking someone can’t see your headlights and running lights?

https://one.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/standards/conspicuity/TBMpstr.html
Our new replacement roof does not have cab lights, so truck no longer legal. Truck is over 80" wide (exclusive of mirrors) so cab lights like on your F450 are legally required. Reluctant to replace due to drilling new roof though likely will at some point. This, placing ID lights into grill, was an easy interim token effort to satisfy requirement temporarily. I doubt, being a pickup, I'd ever get cited for lack of ID/clearance lights but where I can I try to be within the
laws.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@AnEv, I seriously doubt you’d ever get pinched for no cab markers. Have to be a really schitty cop to do that. Besides, you could just say they never were there in the first place!
Man I’ve looked at those cordless marker lights. For a resto truck that I’m not drilling holes in. But idk if I can choke down $300 for marker lights either!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like them and they look nice.

I am seriously considering having cab marker lights installed on my PU.

I bought some a few years ago and the guy that was going to install them moved so now I'm thinking I'll check with the local Chevy dealer.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/21 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most truck campers have those lights, but Host assumes your truck will have them and does not have the center lights on their units (yes, I asked).

If Raptors and Rebels and other over width SRW vehicles can run them in the grill as OEM, I don't know why a DRW could not. You see the center light option on narrower SRW's because if you tow a wider flatbed or dump trailer, you should also have them. Since there is no trailer location for these lights, the truck should be carrying the lights.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Took it camping and hit 225,228 miles when I reached my camping site.
Maybe I should cut back on driving it soo much. [emoticon]

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changed the fuel filter again.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 45  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What did you do to your truck today?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.