|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> May have just destroyed my TV engine :-(

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/14 11:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would NOT take this thing to Ford.

They will flag it and then from then on they will not warrantee any fuel and maybe any engine or exhaust related work.

Your money, your truck; but no way in hell I would do this.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

TucsonJim

Tucson, AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/14 12:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

They will flag it and then from then on they will not warrantee any fuel and maybe any engine or exhaust related work.

Your money, your truck; but no way in hell I would do this.

The problem with not taking it to Ford is that if it does fail later, they'll still be able to tell. One of the first pieces of evidence they check for when there is a fuel sytem problem is urea crystals on the injectors. If you get DEF to the injectors, this is a sure sign of DEF in the fuel system and the warranty is voided anyway.

I think I'll try draining the tank, and replacing the DFCM and filters. before I turn it over to the dealer.

2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/14 12:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Afraid, at least in this preliminary stage, I agree with this statement.

I just can't imagine, even being DEF, that the amounts you put in, diluted as they would be in the fuel tank, could cause horrible problems as quickly as you caught it.

The drivers mounted, drain-able fuel filter, is there to catch this very problem (at least water in fuel). If you didn't run very long after the light came on, chances are the water is still in the bowl of the fuel filter.

Try the simple steps first.

If those (filter changes, draining fuel tank, lubricity additive) don't work, then Ford is your only real choice.

Console yourself with the fact you've recognized the problem immediately, and are going to take steps to remedy it.

Don't beat yourself up too badly, it has surely happened to others.

Bmach

Western MA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/14 02:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep us updated, please.

Eng208

Plains, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/14 04:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We need someone with some chemistry background. I don't think the problem lies with the water in the DEF. The filters are designed to catch that and the water will settle out of diesel fuel. Insoluble if you will. I don't know much about the urea. I know it is corrosive to common metals, especially aluminum. Is it soluble in diesel? If it is, there is no way a filter is going to catch it. It will not settle out and is blended in with the diesel. This could be equivalent to a viral pandemic to new diesel owners. Makes me nervous now. I don't know of one other single mistake with a new vehicle that will be this costly.

Given the expense however, I would take my chances. It's going to cost you a huge amount anyway, drain all filters, disconnect the fuel line going from first filter to the engine, drain and clean tank, put a good diesel supplement in tank at high concentration, add about 10 gallons of fuel, and pump about half through the in tank pump. Reconnect fuel line and keep fingers crossed. I would try it before I took it to the dealer knowing they are going to charge 12K dollars right off top. I don't have 12 K dollars more to put with a 45K truck.

97 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab 4X4 CTD with Goerend Transmission mod.(GVWR 8800lbs, or 4000 Kg)
95 Four Winds Fifth Wheel
99 Toyota Fourrunner V6

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/14 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fact that they look to the injectors for DEF is proof that you are not the only one to do this. Don't beat yourself up too bad, you caught it early and are taking the right steps.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

pa traveler

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/14 05:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear,dont beat yourself up. Things like this do happen,my nephew was filling our boat at marina,put fuel in rod holder instead of gas tank. I know its not the same,but mistakes happen,hopefully it may work out okay for you.

scotjima

DFW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/14 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2011 Ford F-350 w/ the 6.7. I have not had any fuel system issues, but have read up on this.

1. If it were my truck, and assuming the engine was running OK when you shut it down... I would drain the fuel tank, clean it out, replace the fuel filters, run fresh fuel w/ a double does of fuel additive. If it runs OK, great. If not, then step two.
2. The other option is to call your insurance company and file a claim. Have it towed in and repaired. It will be 10 - 12k.

I would not take it to an independent shop. These things are too expensive to mess around with, and most shops charge book hours and a simliar rate to the dealers. It won't be much cheaper.

Ford will pull/clean the tank, and will replace the filters, the fuel lines, various sensors, the HPFP, and all injectors. There is a procedure from Ford on what exactly to do in this situation. They will not flag your warranty as you would have had it repaired by them. Your engine is also OK.

Good luck!

Thomas/NH

Exeter, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/14 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why wouldn't this be covered under insurance. It was a simple mistake, no different than any other accident, like driving in to deep of water...

I'd be calling the insurance company, What's the worst they can say? No!

v10superduty

CANADA-only 60 miles N of International Falls, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/14 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford have a "specific" service bulletin on this situation.
It starts out something like with 2 procedures..

1-DEF added to fuel and engine NOT started.
2-DEF added to fuel and engine run.

Since you are at #2 will involve replacing pretty much all fuel components, big cost BUT if done at dealer will not affect warranty going forward.

I would see if your insurance will get involved.

Trying to hide it from Ford, (which is tough) could cause loss of entire truck warranty?

Good luck with your insurance.

EDIT
Looks like scottima answered almost same info as I was typing.
This is the advice to follow..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> May have just destroyed my TV engine :-(
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS