|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wardrobe Update #2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
msiminoff

Silicon Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two years ago I did an extensive build-out of my TC's passenger side wardrobe... This set up has has worked out so well that I decided to build a similar set of storage cubbies on the driver's side of the cabover. I'm not quite finished yet, and have a bunch sanding & staining left to do... but here's a sneak peek of this past weekend's work:

BEFORE (stock Alpenlite 935 photo).
[image]

AFTER
[image]

[image]
I removed the factory cabinetry and built a basic frame from 1X2 & 1X3 furring strips. It is a very tight fit into the cabover space.

[image]
I laminated the furring strip frame to a birch doorskin which, once stained, will match the TC's interior finish. The cutout from this panel will be used to skin another cabinet I'm working on.

[image]
This is the completed panel with the outside edges and opening router'd to size.

[image]
The stained/polyurethaned frame is screwed and epoxied into place. I even found some reverse cove molding for the top edge that matches the trim elsewhere in the camper.
DW & I have been looking for a way to manage dirty clothing for a long time…on the left hand side you can see the canvas clothing hamper I've selected. This cubby is sized to fit the hamper, with a second (folded) hamper stored in the recess on the far left.

[image]
This photo shows the shelf uprights in place with spacers installed to get them perfectly aligned. All of the shelf slots were dado'd on the table saw to ensure that they are straight & square to one another. DW & I put a bunch of effort into making sure that there's a space for all of our stuff, including things like books, games, and even a guitar & ukelele.
The sliding window is still accessible & operable, although in the past it has always been covered with Reflectix and I suspect that we'll continue to keep it covered.

I'm hoping to get the rest of the project wrapped up this week. Will post more photos once I'm done.
Cheers,
-Mark

On Edit: Here's a shot of the completed passenger side for comparison…
[image]

* This post was last edited 05/13/14 09:05am by msiminoff *   View edit history

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

hitchup

Fulltiming and sitting.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/14 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That makes so much more sense for storage. Staggered shelving is a great idea.

Will it stay open for light and air circulation? Would help keep the weight down.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

kerry4951

East Central Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful work!! You are a true craftsman

2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me those side windows are more in the way than anything in taking up valuable wall space. Looks great!

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

jamminalong

Pacific Northwest, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Job!! I really like the organization and the removable shelves for hanging too!

98 Dodge Landscape

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats for getting it done, and it looks like a great job! Can't say it is for me because I like the windows, and I think I might have more storage than you from the factory.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

SkiMore

West

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks great. Thanks for posting.

805gregg

Ojai, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd rather take less clothes and have a window for a view and ventilation

2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/14 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do great work Mark. Do you find that shelves work much better than a hanging wardrobe?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

camper19709

middletown,DE

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/14 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great! Thanks for the pics.

Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wardrobe Update #2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS