|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip to Zeno Canyon & Falls

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/14 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Zeno Canyon is located in the Jack's Creek Wilderness high desert (5800') about 50 miles south of Bruneau Idaho.

Getting a late start i arrived at the Battle Creek turn off from Hiway 51 at 6 PM. This is a fairly good road with stretches of washboard.

[image]

A short time later arriving at the edge of the Wilderness.

[image]

About 7 PM I start looking for a place to camp. Getting hungry!! I find a nice level area not too far from the road to spend the night.

[image]

Mediocre sunset.

[image]

After about 15 miles I turn North onto this unnamed road. Should be another 15 miles to Zeno.

[image]

High clearance is a must but never needed 4X4. Deep ruts, rough and rocky. Took about an hour to do these 5 miles.

[image]

Oh Boy!! More free pinstriping!!

[image]

Yep.

[image]

A couple Pronghorn. I won't get into the technical debate if they are Antelope or not!! [emoticon]

[image]

Arrived at the canyon late Friday AM.

[image]

Anxious to get into the canyon I dawned my boots, pack and a brand new collapsible walking stick from Walmart. Never used one before so I thought I would try one.

Looking back at camp from rim of canyon.

[image]

OK, got to get to the bottom.

[image]

[image]

OK, this looks like the way to go!!

[image]

Geez, overshot the falls on my first descent. They are in the center of this pic. Have to hike back up to the rim, around a cliff face and down again!!

[image]

Finally got down to the head of the falls. Man, this thing is noisy!! But I still can't see the entire thing so I got to keep going down.

[image]

Wait. What? I got to go down there? Can't quit not. Got to see!!

[image]

This was the most challenging part of the hike. Very steep and tons of loose shale. I fell several times, once because my new walking stick collapsed unintentionally. Anyway, I get to the bottom and TADA!!

[image]

Yep. The falls are all overgrown. I said a few bad words!!!

Now I have to climb back out. I am a little concerned about making it. I send DW a SPOT msg so they will know where to find the body!! 3 steps up, slide back 2!! And a lot of crawling!!

[image]

I finally made it back up on top, obviously, but now without falling one more time and severely bending my new walking stick!! I really liked the stick. Maybe I should go to REI for a decent one? Or being 3/4 through my 6th decade maybe I should just start acting my age!!

Back at camp, a sheet of mole skin, fillet mignon and a 5th of Jack, all was good with the world!!

Awoke to another beautiful day on Saturday. Not done exploring but I think I will do the rest sitting down.

[image]

[image]

According to my map this is called Harvey's Place. I think he needs to get over here for some maintenance.

[image]

Found another neat canyon a few miles West of Zeno. No, I didn't hike to the bottom of this one!!

[image]

[image]

Someone must have been bored. Half mile form the nearest road.

[image]

Overall it was a pretty fun trip. From the time I pulled off Hiway 51 on Thursday until my return on Sunday, never saw/heard another soul. That is my favorite way to camp.

FWIW here is what the falls used to look like.

Zeno Falls

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Harleybullet

Holbrook, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/14 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that is off the beaten path....looks like fun...nice

Butch50

Bentonville, AR

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/14 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey DJ,

Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a good time except on the shale. I hate trying to walk/crawl on that stuff. I would have liked to go with you but I hate dessert pin striping. Hard to get over, I know the first scratch and then you don't worry about any of the others.

How did the new bike work out? Are you happy with it?

* This post was edited 05/05/14 01:03pm by Butch50 *

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2017 Ram 3500 Mega DRW
2018 Grand Design 303RLS

the tc life

colbert wa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/14 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

right on. scratches...they are honor badges in my opinion. I did manage to get a couple new ones this past weekend too. great looking trip, thanks for sharing.

2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/14 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....talk about an endless view! Very nice.

Nice looking rig.

S-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/14 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DJ, it's good to see you out having adventures again and good to know that you have a Spot now.

Suggestion for hiking sticks: use two. Mine are old ski poles which I bought at thrift stores for about $5 each and cut off with a hacksaw to the right length for me. They can really take a beating. If you choose this type, be sure that the grip is comfortable and smooth the cut end with a file.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/14 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great TR, DJ. Certainly shows Idaho off and why I enjoy my times there too. Glad to see you and out and about. Great photos and narrative. You seem to have a thing for Shale, all sizes.

Be careful and safe.

b

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/14 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How fun! I love the "out in the middle of nowhere" kind of camping trips! Thanks for sharing with us! Great photos too... [emoticon]

Dak

2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/14 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Or being 3/4 through my 6th decade maybe I should just start acting my age!!

DJ, that's a really bad idea. I'm 1/4 ahead of you, and not a chance of doing that. Just keep doing what you're doing! And thanks for it.

Cal

flaxi

Germany

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/14 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow, great trip ! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip to Zeno Canyon & Falls
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.