RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Trip report: 3 weeks wandering through WA/OR/CA/NV

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip report: 3 weeks wandering through WA/OR/CA/NV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/14 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice -- Nv 34 looks like a good one.

Cal

clikrf8

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/14 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank-you all for reading. We really had an enjoyable time. Maybe we will see some of you out there.

I am new to iPhoneography and some shots were taken from the truck or mid day. Convenient though and no post processing needed, although I did some sharpening and a few highlight/shadow corrections. I still prefer my Nikons and pro lenses.

Next trip will begin next Sunday, May 18 and will probably be another 3 weeker, maybe longer. Brief itinerary:
I5 to 7 or 161 then USFS roads to Tahklakh Lake for Mt Adams photos
Takhlakh Lake to Trillium Lake for Mt Hood photos crossing at White Salmon/Hood River
Trillium Lake to Sheep Rock, a unit of John Day NM
Sheep Rock to Frenchglen campground or Alvord lake along Steens Mt
Then we will check some places in Nevada like Lunar Crater and environs (beautiful rock formations reached by gravel/4x4 roads)/Belmont ghost town/Miniature Grand Canyon
Gold Butte/Valley of Fire state park
North Rim Grand Canyon
Vermillion Cliffs area/Alstrom Point
Horseshoe Bend/Coal Mine Canyon
Canyon de Chelly and surrounding area/Ship Rock
Monument Valley/Valley of the Gods/Muley Dugway
Burr Trail switchbacks/Hwy 12
Bryce/Cedar Breaks
Panaca to visit a B&B we stayed at pre camper
Ruby Mountains
Wallowa area of NE Oregon for red barns/green fields
the Palouse for same
Return home via 20 over North Cascades (just opened last Thursday)

First, I gotta put in the vegetable garden. If any of you will be in the above areas, let us know. Always glad to meet fellow travelers.

2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/14 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Judy, Yes , fabulous quality pictures and just what I've come to expect from you. Looks to have been a wonderful trip. Are you using a lense on your iPhone? If so I'd say goodbye dslr!

805gregg

Ojai, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/14 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip report, just curious why is your dog on a leash when out in the middle of nowhere?

2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

clikrf8

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/14 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

805gregg wrote:

Nice trip report, just curious why is your dog on a leash when out in the middle of nowhere?

Rattlesnakes.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/14 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, don't ditch the DSLR -- those 5 extra shots you posted are prize-winners, especially the butte with the double rainbow -- I could practically smell the wet dirt and feel the cold wind. Well done, and thanks for letting us ride along!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/14 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoyed the ride as well! Great photos and write up. I can't believe they were all on an iphone! Thanks for posting.

TimH

clikrf8

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/14 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whazoo: you are the undisputed king of TRs, seriously, you reign supreme. iPhones are great for a quick snap of the campsite or out the window but for on location photography, full frame Nikons (or Canons or Sonys or even better MF digital) get better results.

cewillis: yes, 34 was a well graded gravel road with few washboards. We plan to try it from near Adel in Southeastern Oregon near Adel so will update when I do a TR on the upcoming trip.

Tiger4x4RV: yep, we sound similar in our tastes. I don't know any of the desert or Great Basin wildflowers except for the mallows and one I can't think of now. Love the wide open spaces of the desert and Nevada is our fave state now due to few people and little known locations. Esmeralda county has 1800 people.

Profdant139: yes, it was really thrilling to be there when the rainbow was happening. I don't mean to sound sacrilegious, but it was a spiritual moment for me. The world and all its problems went away and it was simply just me, the rainbow and the light. DW was watching from the truck about 100 feet away. No vehicles drove by on the paved road another couple of hundred feet away. Magic.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. In my other life I also shoot concerts.

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/14 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally, a T.R. with lots of detail. LOTS. This was a wonderful and far ranging trip. I'm with JPNAZ in that I need to do some forensics on your trip for future reference. It's like reading War and Peace: you can't take it all in at one time.
I like the way every fotog on the TC forum has a different eye as to subject matter and format. Great.
jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/14 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

clikrf8 wrote:

Whazoo: you are the undisputed king of TRs, seriously, you reign supreme. iPhones are great for a quick snap of the campsite or out the window

Thankfully, I don't feel that way. Never have never will. What I do feel is that you take better pictures with your phone than I do with my DSLR. "Lucy, I gots some catchin up to do!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip report: 3 weeks wandering through WA/OR/CA/NV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.