|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Love to see these monster truck campers in town

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/14 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mello Mike wrote:

I like it, too!!! Rather have a Unimog with a popup, but I'd take it if it was given to me. [emoticon]

I mean, yes, add me to the give away list too! I'd surely take that problem off their hands, nothing like being neighborly. [emoticon]

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2003 Hitchhiker Discover America Quad Slide
2016 Lance 1172 Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/14 03:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dokkema1 wrote:

805gregg wrote:

The little windows look like the owner are a little paranoid, more like a jail cell

They are designed for Global travel...not everywhere is as safe as the USA...

Then I'm not so sure I want to go camping there!

FreeLanceing

Grand Haven Mi

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/14 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a C to me, or an oversize B+.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/14 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FreeLanceing wrote:

Looks like a C to me, or an oversize B+.

A "Super B", as opposed to a Super C?

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/14 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sluggo54 wrote:

Back in 2006 there was one of these in Yellowstone, with French occupants. They were all over my case because I didn't shut off my Duramax while setting up my fifth wheel, thus I was wasting the earth's resources. Had I not idled the truck while getting off the hitch and leveling, I would have been short battery power in that no hook-up, no gennie world.
Finally had to get rude to get them to go away.

Tell them you could idle your DMax all night for less fuel than they use to go 50 miles!!

'16 FORD F250 6.7 373 FX4 Lifted with 35" Toyos Air Bags

'16 Arctic Fox 25R. Xantrex 2000 inverter/charger, four Trojan 6 volts, 450 watts solar.

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/14 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sluggo54 wrote:

Back in 2006 there was one of these in Yellowstone, with French occupants. They were all over my case because I didn't shut off my Duramax while setting up my fifth wheel, thus I was wasting the earth's resources. Had I not idled the truck while getting off the hitch and leveling, I would have been short battery power in that no hook-up, no gennie world.
Finally had to get rude to get them to go away.

Knowing the French, they would have scolded you for showering and using deodorant too!

sundowners

suffolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/14 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmcgsd wrote:

I've often thought those things must be mighty toasty in the desert on a 110F day!

The body will be built from 3" rigid foam---fantastic insulation, so would be cooler than American built RVs---it may well have AC unit under the floor------the windows on all European built RVs/campers/travel trailers are double glazed and made from a type of plastic

We have a friend who has just finished building one of these on an old German 4X4 army truck chassis/cab----it has NO ECUs or other electricary to give headaches when away from garages with fancy computer equipment
Nigel

You call it a 'monster truck'-----our friends one which looks just the same as pic. (but on a Merc) has the same foot-print as our Dodge dually and Lance de-mountable

* This post was edited 06/04/14 07:56am by sundowners *

tony lee

Dallas TX to AK via Niagara Falls and Dempster Hwy

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/14 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See these vehicles all over the world and they are by far the most impractical vehicles you could invent. Apart from the major deserts and of course any Walmart parking lot, they are just too big for most unpaved roads, too heavy for a lot of bridges and too wide for many forest tracks.

Mind you, a F350 with Bigfoot camper on the back ends up about the same size and has just as bad a turning circle.

Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

sundowners

suffolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/14 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tony lee wrote:

See these vehicles all over the world and they are by far the most impractical vehicles you could invent. Apart from the major deserts and of course any Walmart parking lot, they are just too big for most unpaved roads, too heavy for a lot of bridges and too wide for many forest tracks.

Mind you, a F350 with Bigfoot camper on the back ends up about the same size and has just as bad a turning circle.

Hi
The thing is-------most of the people that have these trucks have not done a 'trip' before they build/buy one------and on paper they look like the best compromise vehicle for a two or three year trip into 'remote areas'--------the problems are many, but the biggest one that I see is their bulk----they are very expensive to ship, and, as with our de-mountable they limit by being tall and wide on tracks----------but if, like us you want to be independant and self contained they offer a good compromise IMHO
A VW camper is easier to travel with but not nearly as comfortable.
Nigel

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/14 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The German Expedition vehicle that you saw was doubtlessly on its way from Overland Expo in Flagstaff. I attended the gathering this year in my F350/Avion camper and stayed in the TC rally area at the far end of the Expo. But, you're right, they are amazing looking behemoths-but they're not "truck campers":

[image]

R to L: 2014 Unimog Expedition/2003 Defender Range Rover with tent top/1999 Freightliner Conversion/Orange 2013 Unimog with vertical slide for two story interior and roof balcony/2009 Unimog

Try a thought experiment with these machines: As I wandered around the 6,000+ adventure folks I thought of the Expedition motorcycles like Cheetahs, perhaps the TCs were a little like Gnus and Wildebeests, the Rovers like Zebras...but the Unimogs were like Elephants. Unwieldy grazing animals but fun to watch.

I know that everyone can make up their own menagerie, since we're missing the predators from this scenario.

What was very interesting is that the organizers of the OX5, Jonathon and Roseann Hanson - who are world expedition experts, gave a special presentation of their vehicle: A 2014 Toyota Tacoma - nearly stock - with a custom made 4WheelCamper on the back. In other words, a TC. they are shipping it to South Africa for their journey this fall.

I had to move my TC from the rally area because I got pinned in..long story...but I had a little taste of the other behemoths besides the Unimogs. Its why I prefer boondocking or rallying with TCs.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Love to see these monster truck campers in town
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS