|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Steps not retracting all the way

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bill and Kathi

SW GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/14 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope someone can give us help. Traveling and can't get the steps to retract like the should. Tried oiling and silicon nothing helped so far. Is there a place I'm missing? They retract just fine if someone is outside and puts the least amount of pressure on them. Thanks for your time.

Bill, Kathi and Toby (the doxie) - for the "pitter patter" of little feet.

Love the "Sound of the South" at Troy University

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/14 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There may be some dirt build up in the pivot points that's restricting the smooth operation. Try spraying the pivot points with brake cleaner and working the steps in and out. When the steps operate smoothly, give each pivot a shot of motorcycle chain lube.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

USARMYCW

Right here

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/14 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try hitting the motor with a rubber mallet or hammer. Sometimes the springs that hold the brushes against the rotors weaken or rust and tapping the motor helps seat them.

I don't mean this to be a permanent solution. It might get the steps in so you can get on down the road. I just went thru this problem and this is what worked for me. I'm now getting a new motor to install.

* This post was edited 07/12/14 10:08am by USARMYCW *

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/14 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rubber mallet/pivot point answers aren't in my opinion, solutions to your problem. Assuming you have maintained your steps properly the solution to your problem is a new motor. In my experience and a lot of folks here on RV.NET, about 99% of Kwikee step problems are the window lift type motors failing. If USARMYCW is correct, then it's still a motor failure and if Dutch_12078 is correct, then it has most likely caused or will cause a premature motor failure.

As so many here have pointed out, the living environment of the steps is one of the worst you can find. Constant wind borne dust and dirt, hurricane rain type deluges. It sucks under there and guess what, the motors were intended to be operated in a much nicer living area.

If you are lucky enough to have one of the motors with a phenolic gear housing, then you can buy directly from the factory, if you have one of the older Ford window lift motors, be sure you get the correct one. There were several different ones used after the switch from the old open Delco/Remy design until they switched to the motors with phenolic gear cases.

Even within the ones with aluminum gear housings there are differences. There may be one number difference between the motor you want and a motor that looks exactly the same but may be called a high speed motor. The high speed motor will work but the electronics that control the motor weren't designed for the HS motor's draw.

Search the forum for other campers problems and solutions, you'll see what I mean.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/14 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When our steps move slow or don't come in all the way, I will spray them very generously with Simple Green and operate the steps and spray even more. I will get an old tooth brush and clean the tracks and the ball bearings that I can reach. Then, I hose them down really good and they seem to work just fine.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/14 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had that problem after a small Accident,, bent things back as best I could hammered a couple other things to give better clearance and still no joy.

Finally broke out the WD-40, this is a cleaner and penetrate That did the job.
Then a few days later hit it with a good quality lubrication spray.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/14 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When a customer come to me with your problem, I take the motor linkage LOOSE. I then spray liberal amounts of liquid wrench on all linkage and pivot points. I have to then with great force manually force the steps to retract and extend. It is usually very difficult to do until the Liquid wrench penetrates the pivot points. Once you have this done, the steps will then easily just fall open and with one finger you can retract. Then reconnect the linkage. THEN, clean and lube once a month. Your complaint is what usually ruins the step motor. Doug

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/14 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If sticking steps were an indication of imminent motor failure, then my 19 year old step motor should have died years ago. Periodically cleaning and lubing the pivots per the Kwikee manual, albeit not with their overpriced relabeled chain lube, has kept my steps working for a very long time now. I have had exactly the same symptoms as the OP on occasion, most recently after a long dirty, salty drive to Florida in January, but the clean and lube routine soon put it right once again.

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/14 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine did the same thing. Turned out to be low voltage from the batteries. Replaced the batteries and the problem was gone.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Southwind98

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/14 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your bolts underneath, that was our problem when the steps on our motorhome wouldn't extend all the way. Which is reversed from your problem, but might be the same issue. If I remember correctly there were four bolts extending down around the motor, only three were secured. Once I replaced the fourth bolt , problem solved.

Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Steps not retracting all the way
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.