Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Accuslide cable questions for a non handy person????

Posted By: yankeeslover on 07/15/14 12:29pm

i have a 2014 primtime tracer 2670.. it has one main slide for the dinette/sofa.. it uses the accuslide system.. warranty ran out in June..This is my first ever TT, so i am still a semi novice.. i am also the least handy person in the world..i seem to break what i try to fix or make things worse, so please remember this in your response.. also my camper is at a seasonal site about 2 hours from dealer...anyways.
Everything with the slide seems fine, atleast it opens and closes ok and it looks to have a great seal, but when i look at the cables outside the slide when extended, there are 4 total, two on the bottom and two on the top, one on each side of slide so a total of 4. each of the top cables seem to have some slack to them wheras the bottom cables are tight. Im not sure if i should attempt to fix anything here as everything seems to be working great..no issues..i open and close the slide weekly as i dont keep it open when im not at camp. If i were to fix this, how do I do this? is it easy? i tried looking in manual and it doesnt make much sense.. I emailed dealer and they said to leave it, that its normal..should I belive them? thank you again...

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 07/15/14 01:04pm

I believe your dealer is correct...Leave it the way it is.

The way the system works two cables pull going out and the other two pull coming in on each side. So while two are pulling the other two are a bit slack. And visa versa depending on direction of movement. So if you tighten the two loose ones when they need to go into action, they will be too tight.

Now if the two loose ones are real loose...like hanging down a couple inches...then test they are too loose. And since you are not sure of what you are doing, take it to your dealer at years end. It will be fine until then. But if they are just a slight bit looser than the bottom ones...don't worry.

Try this...Pull the slide in. Then check the cables for looseness. You'll likely find the top one are tight and the bottom cables are loose. Just the opposite of what you have when the slide is out.

* This post was last edited 07/15/14 06:15pm by Vulcaneer *

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Posted By: Raymon on 07/15/14 03:20pm

The cables you see on the outside are the cables that retract the slide. When the slide is retracted, inside the trailer you should be able to see the cables that extend the slide.

If the slide is fully sealed when retracted, I would not even think about adjusting the cables. This cable slide system is not easy to adjust. The extension and retraction cables must work in unison; as the extension cables pull the slide out, the retraction cables must extend with the slide (go out or lengthen).

Not many RV techs are fully knowledgeable with the AccuSlide system. Some RV dealers refuse to work on the AccuSlide system. I know from personal experience.

Personally, I would never buy an RV with the AccuSlide system. Because access to the cables is very difficult, the system is very hard to work on. Unfortunately, buyers like you and myself do not find out until after they make the purchase that their RV has an AccuSlide system.

Like I said, if your slide is fully sealing and you are not experiencing any leaks around the slide, leave well enough alone. I wish you the best.

Ray

Posted By: wrgrs50s on 07/15/14 03:40pm

As Raymon stated, the cables on the outside are the cables that retract the slide. There are a total of 8 cables, 4 for retracting and 4 for extending the slide out. So, when you pull your slide all the way in and view the 4 cables from inside you are looking at 4 different cables. You can go to the Bal Accuslide manual and look at the diagram on page 6 and find the color chart for the cables that need adjusting. It is not really that hard to adjust the cables once you remove the proper panel for access.
A small amount of slack is acceptable with the key factor being that the slide is still sealing properly. Google the Bal Accuslide and watch the video of how it operates and once your more familiar with the function you may be able to DIY, if not comfortable with trying it you might call a mobile rv tech that is familiar with this type of system and be willing to pay an hour labor plus a trip charge.

Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Posted By: mmccwill on 07/15/14 03:43pm

The slide uses 8 cables -- 4 you won`t see, because they`re behind the facia on the inside -- The slide is used by many mfgs of TT & motorhomes -- I have one on my 07 Monaco Camelot Motorhome -- Keep an eye on the cables, & if you see fraying, change it -- If you wait till it breaks, you`re in for a bad day -- If you change it before breakage, it`s maybe a 30 minute job, that you can easily do yourself -- You can get a spare cable on Amazon - Cost less than $30.00 -- Always carry a spare -- William Willard

Posted By: westend on 07/15/14 03:56pm

Don't look at the cables.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Posted By: hddecker on 07/15/14 11:40pm

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It goes out, it goes in, it seals, it ain't broke.

Posted By: Raymon on 07/16/14 06:07am

wrgrs50s wrote:

As Raymon stated, the cables on the outside are the cables that retract the slide. There are a total of 8 cables, 4 for retracting and 4 for extending the slide out. So, when you pull your slide all the way in and view the 4 cables from inside you are looking at 4 different cables. You can go to the Bal Accuslide manual and look at the diagram on page 6 and find the color chart for the cables that need adjusting. It is not really that hard to adjust the cables once you remove the proper panel for access.
A small amount of slack is acceptable with the key factor being that the slide is still sealing properly. Google the Bal Accuslide and watch the video of how it operates and once your more familiar with the function you may be able to DIY, if not comfortable with trying it you might call a mobile rv tech that is familiar with this type of system and be willing to pay an hour labor plus a trip charge.

Just a note: I called two mobile RV repairmen in my local area. Neither of them wanted to have anything to do with repairing my AccuSlide. To replace a cable, one must have a large crimping tool. Also, a cable cutter is nice to have.

Ray

Posted By: calewjohnson on 07/16/14 07:09am

Yep, Accu-Slide = pain in the butt

My Outback (2014) kitchen slide is partially inop at the moment. The gear box has developed a bad spot (broken teeth?). The cog turns 3/4 of a turn, then I help it past the dead spot with a pair of channel lock pliers, about 10 minutes to get the slide in or out...

Waiting on the repairman to get a new gear box, but in the meantime, I looked over the slide cable adjustment with the Accu-Slide directions....I can now see why the gear box crapped out.... The cables are adjusted too much to one side, so much so, the gearbox shaft has a slight lean to it during operation..

Luckily, my cables are easy to get to. In theory, a great idea for the cables, saves a lot of weight, but I don't think I will by another trailer with this system installed..

Cale

TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Posted By: PenMan on 07/16/14 10:37am

A little slack is normal. Watch the videos if you need to repair anything. One of the best and easiest to maintain slide systems available but if you need to change a cable (a 20 to 30 minute job) you will need the crimp tool. You can get it on Amazon for about $50. Check the cables where they attach to the slide. If one is fraying you need to replace the cable. HINT: It is easier to replace it before it completely breaks.

Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Posted By: wrgrs50s on 07/16/14 11:35am

You can use a cable clamp instead of a crimp tool. They are available at most hardware stores for just a few bucks. And, you dont really need a cable cutter. As previously stated there are a few videos on you tube that are really helpful.

Posted By: 0rion on 07/14/15 02:25am

my buddy has a broken cable on his keystone passport....we tried the last time we camped together to get the cable out but it must have frayed behind a pulley or something somewhere because it will not budge. Any ideas on how to get that cable out of there? I'm guessing by looking at it that a whole bunch of stuff is going to have to be removed from the camper in order to gain access to it. His microwave and sink/counters are in that slide.

Print  |  Close