|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: The "Wildnerness" Jennie Lakes near KC and Seq NP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you own a truck camper and like to do some mild hiking this is a MUST do trip for you and your family [emoticon] Unable to secure camping reservations at lodgepole campground and with the scare of water not being available at Dorst camprgound in Sequoia national park we decided to "wing it" and just head for the hills.

Who would have thought our first casualty on the new wolf creek would be from an oak tree in our own driveway...In case you were wondering what the inside of the new antenna looks like. The funny thing is I did not add this as an option and northwood installed this by mistake, so I am happy to get rid of this thing I will never use.
[image]

We left San Diego in the morning and ended up making it into sequioa national forest at the Kings canyon and Sequoia national park entrance. we pulled off at big stump picnic area for a quick dinner.
[image]

This wasn't the biggest stump but the closest stump
[image]

Here is a map our the area: Big Meadows campground is pretty nice and seculuded, however there are big rewards if you bypass the "developed" campgrounds and explore the "dispersed" sites. Especially on the weekend for those "weekend warrior" types.

If you follow the green line you can see exactly where we made it into the "wilderness"
[image]

14S16 is the dirt road turnoff from paved road passed big meadows campground. Basically once you pass the campground and go over the bridge, it will be the first dirt road on the right.
[image]

finally getting away from it all and heading up up up...What is this "wilderness" thing everybody keeps talking about?
[image]

This is our camping/parking space for the next couple of days. This makes the big meadows campground look like tract housing [emoticon]
[image]

sunsets in the area are pretty nice
[image]

Glad I brought my camera on this trip
[image]

[image]

[image]

The stars in the area are pretty nice as well
[image]

the nice thing about the wolf creek 850 is the amount of storage. I pulled out all the backpacking gear shoved in every nook and cranny and prepared pack everything back into and even smaller space in our backpacks. we would need this for an overnight stay in the "Wilderness".
[image]

we headed out ready to tackle Weaver Lake which is about a 2.5 mile hike to the lake. There is also Jennie lake which is about 5 miles. This is considered the Jennie Lakes Wilderness nestled in between Kings canyon national park and Sequoia National park. A great place to avoid the crowds of the summer.
[image]

[image]

[image]

If you were wondering why I keep referencing the term "Wildnerness" it is because I never knew what it actually meant until I read what it was posted on a sign.
[image]
[image]
we signed in
[image]

and headed up
[image]

up
[image]

up
[image]

a few breaks are in order on the way in as it is all uphill. Its nice because the way back is all down.
[image]

The hike is well worth the effort
[image]

headed around the south/west part of the lake to find our campsite
[image]

this place will do [emoticon]
[image]

pitched the tent and got a fire going
[image]

nothing like mac n cheese and hotdogs for lunch
[image]

we set out to explore weaver lake
[image]

immediatly my kids wanted me to set up the fishing poles
[image]

I need to take a fishing class or something because it took me about an hour to set up th fishing pole with my kids patiently waiting..the fire starting to go out...dishes needing to get done...the dread of sleeping in a tent with a jacket for a pillow, no beer because it is too heavy...uhhh can I go back to the truck camper now?
[image]

It didn't help on the first trial cast the bait and the hook flew off!
[image]

we finally go the hang of it and right around dusk hundereds of fish were jumping out of the water catching bugs...our bait was submerged in the water
[image]

kids soaking it all in
[image]

filitering water, boy did we miss out 30 gallon fresh water tank and
case of bottled water at the camper.
[image]

the next morning we woke to thunder storms and the rain falling down.
[image]

headed back to the cozy camper
[image]

the start of the trip is the fox meadow trailhead, our camping spot is about 1/4 mile further down the road
[image]

[image]

We saw more marmonts on the trip than other campers in the area. Down in the valley where the big meadows campground is we could hear the faint sound of music playing and car alarms going off.
[image]

if you own a truck camper, or smaller rv this is a really cool place to put on your list...camp fees spent on trip $0, and the only permit you need is a campfire permit you complete and print online.
[image]

headed back out to the "flat land" where temps are currently in the high 90's and california is in a major drought...boy do we wish we could be full timers.
[image]

hope you enjoyed the trip and hope you can make it on the next one [emoticon]
[image]

* This post was edited 07/23/14 09:28pm by anutami *

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

ed6713

Collecting memories. Not things.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a wonderful trip for everyone. All too often, children spend way too much time with all their electronic stuff and not enough time having fun with Mom and Dad.

Way to go. Things like this will be remembered for years to come.

Ed

">

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The kids will remember this trip forever.

And so will you.

Congratulations

And thaks for sharing it with all of us.

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics and nice narrative. Thanks.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, thanks for posting.

Wayne

mpoulsen

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great pics,that is all in my backyard and having a fifth wheel forty feet long was never accessible to us, but we now have a Host Camper and can't wait to go into areas like that!! WE will be heading that way and down that road,May be we will run into each other someday, Thanks again!!

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you! That area is going onto my bucket list. It looks great - scenery, trails, lakes, and not too difficult either for driving or for hiking.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/14 11:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

excellent

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/14 01:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report and a neat spot to go to.
Thanks for sharing.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Cadillac Jack

Northern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/14 03:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report. I have done that wilderness many times.

In my opinion, the Sequoia area of the Sierras is the most incredible place that I have ever seen. By far my favorite place in the world.

So many folks go to Yosemite with its massive crowds and traffic not realizing that the Sequoia is just as spectacular without all the noise.

The high Sierra trail out of crescent meadow leads to scenery that boggles the mind.

Of course most folks never venture more than a few feet from their vehicles. Good on you for showing the kids what really matters.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: The "Wildnerness" Jennie Lakes near KC and Seq NP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.