|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: Anza Borrego Desert State Park Mud Caves in Summer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/14 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

After getting hot tip to visit the mud caves in the summer we finally headed out to check them out. I also was itching to test out the my new truck camper and see how Wolfy II would handle the 4x4 trails of Anza borrego Desert. This trip was a bit premature due to the dealer installing the wrong size Air Conditioner on my camper. They put a 13.5 BTU unit, but I ordered a 9k BTU unit. The 9k BTU unit will run off my honda 2000 watt generator no problem, but the 13.5K BTU A/C is iffy. It runs at my house in Ramona, but was not sure how it would handle desert conditions. Thinking we would be pulling in the evening it wouldn't be too extreme, we went for it.

tested out the total wash board road, everything held together
[image]

recent rains have a few bypasses around the washes
[image]

This is usually so crowded and busy we always just drive on by and have never really explored the caves...Daren thanks for the heads up
[image]

we arrived at the perfect time. It was still pretty warm temps were in the high 90's low 100's
[image]

.this was going to be our campsite for the night...again nobody around
[image]

we noticed a small openning near by
[image]

entering the cave felt like the temperature immediatly dropped 30-40 degrees! What an amazing place
[image]

it just kept going
[image]

and going
[image]

[image]

.a few skylights, temp got in the high 90 degrees again, what a crazy mixture of temperatures...this is awesome [emoticon]
[image]

[image]

a bit spooky...I hope this was a dog
[image]

It is crazy when you turn off your flashlight you can't even see your hand in front of your face....How does this guy do it?
[image]

I guess the moths just fly right in the webs
[image]

[image]

a few bats hanging out
[image]

[image]

We headed out of the caves and it was probably around 9pm. I was hopeful the A/C would work. When I fired it up I was pumped to see it was working but after about 1 minute it shut down!! We tried to endure it the best we could but it was just too hot for us. I decided to drive out to blair valley and gain some elevation. I was probably in the high 80's in blair valley and humid because of the weather, and I was bummed to find out the A/C would not work there either.
[image]

We woke up to the storm rolling in and raining on and off. Ranger Steve stopped by our campsite in blair to let us know that there was a flash flood watch going on.

It was pretty humid out and I couldn't get my kids pumped on a hike (I don't think they went to bed until 12:30 so they were so pretty tired). I didn't want to head home so we checked out butterfield ranch and the kids wanted to swim. We checked in. I think we were the only ones there.
[image]

[image]

playground is and oldie but a goodie
[image]

there is also a nice hot tub
[image]

the old stage coaches are cool to check out.
[image]

[image]

and the resident donkey
[image]

All in all in was a great trip. We really love our new camper. I would have liked to spend more time around the mud caves area, but with flash flood warnings and rain we did not head back. I am looking forward to getting my A/C issue fixed with the dealer and hopefully they will get the new one swapped out we will be heading back out the caves. It is so nice to have the place to yourself.
[image]
edited by anutami on 8/4/2014

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Capt Eddie

usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/14 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the report.

joeshmoe

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/14 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool. You're setting your kids up to be some serious adventurers.

Sorry about the A/C-genny situation. I think the reason it will run for a minute is because of the surge capability. The Hondas can run up to 10 mins @2000 watts, then back off to the continuous output which I believe, your A/C exceeds.

2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

exhaustipated

Topeka, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/14 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice trip report and photos. It looked like the kids had a lot of fun on the trip. Those caves look pretty interesting to explore.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/14 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoyed your report... thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm impressed that you didn't let anything ruin your trip... just kept adapting... use what you have, had fun... your kids will remember trips like this all of their lives.

Looking forward to your next trip and a report on how well the smaller A/C keeps the camper cool. I'd like to have a smaller unit... ours blasts COLD air as it cycles. I'd rather have just a contnious stiff breeze of cool ait.

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

RZAR66

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/14 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice TR. Your Honda might not be able to run the new Coleman 9K's. Some people are having issues because of the new refrigerant being used. Although it does work for me.

1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

NVR2L82AV8

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/14 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see you back on the road with the new WC camper. Are you happy with the stability and tie downs on this one? I take it you're not planning to chase down any wind storms to verify are you? [emoticon] Enjoyed the TR!!

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/14 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, with unique sites.

Wayne

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/14 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, Nolan. Was this the first time back to Anza Borrego since "the incident?"

What are you going to do about the A/C? That's a major bummer that the dealership installed the wrong one.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/14 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like the caves and what a relief for you there was a ranch with a pool to stay at. A major hit with your kids I'm sure.
Wish you many more trips.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: Anza Borrego Desert State Park Mud Caves in Summer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.