|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: Anza Borrego Desert State Park Mud Caves in Summer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/14 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lookatdirt wrote:

A friend was staying near Split Mountain that weekend and said they got quite the flooding downpour! Got to be careful in those washes, and it sounds like you know what you're doing.

Last weekend we took the TC down to Palm Canyon campground in Borrego on a whim to admire the "Super Moon". Got there around sunset and left early Sunday. We were the only campers in the entire campground. It was great!

I'm up in Ramona, too.

Yeah have to be very careful out there in the summer months.

Here is a guy who got caught in fish creek a couple years ago! He was at the wind caves with his son and had to be rescued by helicopter. Luckily they were okay but his truck was obviously totaled. It washed his truck away almost 2 miles!
[image]

[image]

Original Post

I bet you got some great photos of the moon. Nice choice on palm canyon with no one around [emoticon]

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

anutami

Ramona

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/14 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lookatdirt wrote:

Hey, you probably know- What are good places to Boondock in Anza Borrego that are accessible in a two wheel drive rig? How about that dry lake bed off S-22?

Is it free? Any other good tips about camping in the park during the winter months? I'd like to stay out of Palm Canyon and Tamarack. Too crowded and expensive for frequent trips.

I've only camped in Ocotillo Wells but I'm out of the off-road scene these days.

The great thing about anza borrego desert is there is an open camping policy and you can camp anywhere within 1 car length from the road/jeep trail so the camping spots are endless. Just make sure you bring a metal container for your fire and please try and pack your ashes out with you. The dry lake off S22 is "clark dry lake" and is actually not in ABDSP. this is a popular boondocking spot (free) and I have camped there many times. You are limited with a 2wd vehicle but can get in many washes, but you may have clearance issues. If you live in Ramona (close to ABDSP), I would recommend looking for a 4wd truck to have access to pretty much all 500 miles of jeep trails (depending on your rig size). There are many sites off S2, short turn offs to camp, blair valley. Egg mountain is one of my favorite spots for a 2wd vehicle and off south fork carizo creek. During the winter you will be able to access the mud caves with 2wd.

Nolan

lookatdirt

Southern Cal

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/14 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the information! You know, I swore I would never buy a truck without 4wd, but the camper and truck were purchased as a package, and I couldn't pass it up. With one kid in college still, a new truck is not in the cards for a year or three.

I do however, have my trusty Tacoma 4wd, and can use it to scout ahead. I am looking forward to exploring ABSP this winter. Living where we live, it's in our backyard!

Thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate it.

lookatdirt

Southern Cal

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/14 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at those pictures is a good reminder on the crazy power of water!

I remember when I was a kid, camping in the desert with my Dad, he said "Don't worry so much about the rain here in the desert, worry about the rain in those mountains, because that's the water that will fill up these washes!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR: Anza Borrego Desert State Park Mud Caves in Summer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.