|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Using Roku or Chromecast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dgodinez

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering if anyone uses Roku or Chromecast when staying at RV parks or camps that provide free WIFI. I use them at home for streaming movies and such, but my concern will be that the parks FREE WIFI will be too slow to handle the load, I also have seen places that limit the amount of bandwidth that can be used.

Any comments will be appreciated.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides the WIFI probably being too slow to watch continuously, the Roku uses so much bandwidth that you would probably really slow any use by other people just trying to retrieve their emails.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/14 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dgodinez wrote:

I was wondering if anyone uses Roku or Chromecast when staying at RV parks or camps that provide free WIFI.
Evidently everyone where I stay, because the wifi is so slow it's almost useless.

dgodinez

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, that's what I thought, didn't even bother bringing it the last few times out to try, but I just saw a blog on GS and listed as top things to have. I didn't think it would work. A few of the WIFI places I had it took forever just to get my mail!

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even the parks that have reasonably fast speeds often specifically block those kinds of streaming activities as they will pull the whole system down. Many actually block access to sites like YouTube and Netflix.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mmccray100

Lakewood, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Roku for Netflix. I found out that you can set up Netflix to send a degraded signal using only .3 gig per hour rather than the normal 3 gigs. I'm at a park right now where I've been able to access Netflix with only sporadic slow-downs, until the evening when too many people are online. But, I've been at other parks where it does not work at all. I make sure my Kindle Reader is full of un-read books for those nights I cannot get Netflix.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/14 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Sony TV box and tried to use it at the RV Resort. The WiFi is provided by Tengo and you have to access a webpage from your browser to activate the WiFi. There was no way to get the Sony TV to access a webpage before it had internet access. Couldn't use it.

ChooChooMan74

Tiverton, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roku would be a better choice right now if you rip movies and want to play them back on the TV. I haven't had much luck with tje chromecast, and chromecast needs to be hooked to a network. Most campgrounds require a sign on, and you can't do that on a chromecast. But, I do have a workaround on it on my YouTube.

Connecting Your Chromecast To A Hotel Network: http://youtu.be/2JQfzf_VMTs

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dgodinez wrote:

I was wondering if anyone uses Roku or Chromecast when staying at RV parks or camps that provide free WIFI. I use them at home for streaming movies and such, but my concern will be that the parks FREE WIFI will be too slow to handle the load, I also have seen places that limit the amount of bandwidth that can be used.

Any comments will be appreciated.

it's considered bad form, rude and selfish behavior to stream video over a CG's free wifi system. most systems can't handle that and some CG's are now throttling connections down to a snail's crawl when any sort of streaming is detected. if you want to stream suggest you contract for access from Verizon, millenicom, etc.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Alphamonk

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed at a campground about a year ago and was surprised that I was able to watch anything i wanted on Netflix. Then I realized my Ipad had logged onto someone else's wifi that I guess lived right next to the campground. Maybe it was the campground owner's wifi. Of course I logged off at once. Guess some people don't secure their wifi.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Using Roku or Chromecast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.