|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Using Roku or Chromecast

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing that the VERIZON JET PACK or the Millenicom will give you a WIFI HOT SPOT and you can do whatever you want with that using up to 10 of your WIFI ready devices...

Of course it isn't free WIFI...

We give up chasing down FREE WIFI years ago...

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/14 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you log off? Open is open. You are welcome. If McDonald's had been next door would you have logged off of that connection?

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/14 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Why did you log off? Open is open. You are welcome. If McDonald's had been next door would you have logged off of that connection?

Hackers look for free WiFi to infect others.

If your movies are locally stored it would be possible to use Chromecast Screen Cast to send movies to the TV. All Cast app is another option. My latest gadget allows Chromecast anywhere from stored media. The HooToo TripMate also has directions for logging in to public WiFi with registration page. HooToo can also be used to bridge or relay weak WiFi.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrival-HooToo%C2%AE-TripMate-Versatile-Wireless/dp/B00IMYMG12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407467423&sr=8-1&keywords=hootoo+tripmate

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/14 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wcjeep wrote:

If your movies are locally stored it would be possible to use Chromecast Screen Cast to send movies to the TV. All Cast app is another option. My latest gadget allows Chromecast anywhere from stored media. The HooToo TripMate also has directions for logging in to public WiFi with registration page. HooToo can also be used to bridge or relay weak WiFi.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrival-HooToo%C2%AE-TripMate-Versatile-Wireless/dp/B00IMYMG12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407467423&sr=8-1&keywords=hootoo+tripmate

So can you connect to WiFi (versus wired as in the product description) with the HooToo, connect the Chromecast to the HooToo network and stream (bad form, slow bandwith, etc. aside)?

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Robin1953

Ashton, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/14 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the bear II wrote:

I have a Sony TV box and tried to use it at the RV Resort. The WiFi is provided by Tengo and you have to access a webpage from your browser to activate the WiFi. There was no way to get the Sony TV to access a webpage before it had internet access. Couldn't use it.
Get a Cradlepoint or similar router. They will allow you to access the webpage to get signed on then attach your Sony to the Cradlepoint.

2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/14 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

wcjeep wrote:

So can you connect to WiFi (versus wired as in the product description) with the HooToo, connect the Chromecast to the HooToo network and stream (bad form, slow bandwith, etc. aside)?

I think so. It sounds like you want to stream from public wifi through the Hootoo to the Chromecast. The Hootoo supports b/g/n wireless. I bought it to stream movies locally stored on my device. It is also handy to download data from Apple devices straight to memory stick. No PC or Mac required. I'm also interested in Bridge mode (repeater). Have not tested that yet.

Should also work with Roku. I don't own one. Also, many mobile devices can either directly connect to your TV or do so with an adapter.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/14 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

McDonald's provides the wifi for the use of their customers. "Bill Smith", the private citizen does not. "Bill" contracts with an ISP for the benefit of his household and nobody else (that will be in the ISP's terms of service). next door neighbors and others who may detect his signal are not part of his household. sure, "Bill" should lock down his wifi signal but if "Bill" left his garage door open would you feel entitled to borrow his lawnmower, tools, etc?

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/14 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wcjeep wrote:

I think so. It sounds like you want to stream from public wifi through the Hootoo to the Chromecast.

Yes. I would also need it for what you do - providing a network for the Chromecast so I can stream stored media.

Thanks for the info.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/14 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I have NEVER seen an network that says it is OPEN to the public. I have seen networks that are privately owned that say "secured" or "unsecured". Unsecured does not mean that it is open to every person that is too cheap to pay for their own private network. McDonalds has their own log on page so you know that you are using their network, and not the network of some private individual.

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/14 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Even the parks that have reasonably fast speeds often specifically block those kinds of streaming activities as they will pull the whole system down. Many actually block access to sites like YouTube and Netflix.

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Some parks are putting a notice on their WiFi info that excessive use will cause a suspension in service so I mostly use my Verizon tethering for large doneloads.

Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Using Roku or Chromecast
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.