|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR - Great Basin National Park, Baker NV - Aug 2014

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic trip report.

Years ago, returning from Bryce the wife and I stumbled on Baker and the park. It was April, with lots of snow. Our focus was Layman Caves. Very unique, and well worth going out of the way to see. As I recall, we were told the movie industry made outer space movies in the Layman Caves during the mid 50's. I think one was with Charleston Heston. We have seen several caverns, but this is on the top of the list.

Wayne

hl remington

N.E.AR.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for a great trip report and photos.

sky_free

Fremont, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/14 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that was one of the most informative trip reports I have seen. Kudos!

We boondocked near there off of White Pine Rd in the BLM lands to the north of the park on our way to Lake Powell late September last year and there was already snow on top of Wheeler. We didn't have time to visit the park itself but definitely plan to some day.

2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/14 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful story and pictures! [emoticon]

Are the sites up at Wheeler Peak large enough for a 26' fifth wheel?
This one has been on my list for a while.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

NVR2L82AV8

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/14 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger4x4RV wrote:

It sounds like you had a fun trip! Thanks for sharing it.

Tiger4x4RV - We did! My pleasure!

2lazy4U wrote:

Great trip report. I was there a couple of years back and boondocked down on Strawberry Creek. Very cool park.

2lazy4U - We're gonna check out the Creeks next spring. Strawberry and Snake Creek look like the places to go. Thanks for the note.

ReneeG wrote:

Wow! What a great essay and pictorial. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We visited Great Basin back in 2009 but couldn't get in to the campgrounds since they were full so we ended up staying at the RV park On the Border and drove in. We drove to the top and visited all the sites, but didn't take that hike. The CG at the top was beautiful but as you can see with our rig, that would be a no no. Thanks again for the posting.

ReneeG - Thanks! Yea, I just edited it to reflect anything beyond 25' on the Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive. Anytime, my pleasure!

kohldad wrote:

Wonderful trip and pics. Thanks for sharing as it is an area I'll never make.

kohldad - Thanks! Never say Never [emoticon]

dadwolf2 wrote:

I've been trying to get up there all summer long. Still hope to before the season ends.

dadwolf2 - You gotta do it. It'll be a welcome break from the Valley temps! You will really enjoy it. Nice to see a fellow TC'r from the area on RV.Net

Pangaea Ron wrote:

We love that area. We were in the valley just west of you in June (Cathedral Gorge SP) and had one of our best camping experiences ever. Magnificent hiking, slot canyons, and wildlife, all by ourselves.

Cathedral Gorge SP

Ron - I've got Cathedral Gorge SP on my list! It's definitely less of a drive and we're looking forward to it!! Happy to hear it's a winner too. [emoticon]

iwon415 wrote:

Great TR, I have fond memories of taking my Dad there in 1984!
Thanks for sharing,

TimH

Tim - Those family memories are keepers!! Anytime, Thank you

LabMan1945 wrote:

Nice report! I just added another spot to visit on my next trip to the southwest. The cave pictures were great and make this park another must see place to visit. Thanks.
Grant

LabMan1945 - Thanks! Definitely add it to the next trip to the SW it is well worth it!

exhaustipated wrote:

Awesome trip report and photos. Thanks for sharing.

exhaustipated - Anytime! My pleasure.

Reddog1 wrote:

Fantastic trip report.

Years ago, returning from Bryce the wife and I stumbled on Baker and the park. It was April, with lots of snow. Our focus was Layman Caves. Very unique, and well worth going out of the way to see. As I recall, we were told the movie industry made outer space movies in the Layman Caves during the mid 50's. I think one was with Charleston Heston. We have seen several caverns, but this is on the top of the list.

Wayne

Wayne - Thanks! Agree....even though its off the beaten path its still well worth the effort! Yea, they mentioned the Movies and the actors but I cant remember em. You're right those caves were unreal especially when you think they explored them with a tin can and a candle..unreal.

hl remington wrote:

thanks for a great trip report and photos.

hl remington - Thanks, my pleasure!

sky_free wrote:

Wow, that was one of the most informative trip reports I have seen. Kudos!

We boondocked near there off of White Pine Rd in the BLM lands to the north of the park on our way to Lake Powell late September last year and there was already snow on top of Wheeler. We didn't have time to visit the park itself but definitely plan to some day.

sky_free - Thanks. Yea, it took me a little bit to get it organized and sort through all the photos. I try to do a little pre-study before we visit a place. It sure helps get a plan together for the visit.

smkettner wrote:

Wonderful story and pictures! [emoticon]

Are the sites up at Wheeler Peak large enough for a 26' fifth wheel?
This one has been on my list for a while.

smkettner - Thanks. No, you'll be limited to the lower campgrounds with the long 5th wheel. Unhook and go up and check it out though! It is a wonderful place to visit.

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/14 02:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A great trip report to an easily missed part of the country, and what a fantastic information resource you have provided too - many thanks for putting in the effort to gather all that information.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Xpd77

Southern IN

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/14 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the TR. I don't think I even knew that NP existed. I will be adding it to my list of places to visit.

2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

805gregg

Ojai, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/14 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the photos and descriptions, looks like a place we will have to visit

2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/14 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a really interesting report. I've driven 93 south to north - next time I'll stop a while.

Cal

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/14 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I recall, there was only one small sign on highway 50 when we were there in April 2005. It was a brown sign, so small I just caught a glimpse of it and after passing it I turned around to see what it said. It is one of those places you stumble on to, unless you were told about it, and researched where it is.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TR - Great Basin National Park, Baker NV - Aug 2014
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.