|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another Alaska trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have not posted a trip report in quite a while so although this will not be a posted on rv.net report it will be a link to our blog. The picture sequence starts with the end of the trip and as you move down through the pictures and comments you will finally get to the beginning of the trip.

Look at the pictures of the trailer, camper and bike after the Dalton Hwy to Prudhoe bay on page 2 of this thread.

The blog starts here:

Bigfootfords Alaska trip

In March during a family BBQ the topic of Alaska and a trip up the ensued. Seth, our youngest son wanted to ride his Motorcycle up there and back but could not take the necessary time off. Then we discussed how we could join him during his ride with the TC.
The plan vacillated around transporting his bike up there shipping it various ways.
In the end, we purchased a 5X8 enclosed trailer and the work started modifying it for our truck/camper etc. We extended the tongue about 2 ft instead of extensions and weight distribution. Adding tiedowns on the floor/into the frame and rows of E-track on the walls along with shelves.
We carried 2 spares for the truck and a set of spare tires for Seth's Motorcycle. Along with that we carried 4 empty cans for gas... In anticipation of running the Dalton Highway all the way to Prudhoe Bay. With only 2 gas stations along the almost 500mi I wanted to be able to make it back to Civilization if the stations had trouble delivering gas.

Seth bought a brand new Honda NC700x and modified it for dual sport. Skid plates, foot rests for distance riding, cruise control, saddle bags, luggage rack and the list goes on. When he was done it looked like a loaded for bear BMW for 1/2 the price.
Finally we were all loaded up and off we went toting the Motorcycle and all the equipment and tools needed for camping/fixing/oil changes and the list goes on.

Two weeks travel to Anchorage, then Seth flew up and joined us then the real adventure began.

Seth did over 2000 miles of dirt road extra on his Honda. Canol Road to Ross River (monster) then Ross river to Watson Lake. Denali Hwy and every side miners trail he could find. Top of the world (with us), Mayo to Keno ( we stayed in Keno). Along with these there were many short trips he made. He did many 1-2 day over night camping along the way... His bike was equipped with food, cooking utensils, clothes (warm and water proof), tools etc.

So here's the link to our blog.... enjoy, get ideas for your trip!

[image]

Bigfootfords Alaska trip

Jim

* This post was last edited 08/20/14 10:31am by bigfootford *   View edit history

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of great pics. Thanks. Looks like the motorcycle would be more fun than the truck and camper until it is time to go to sleep.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Gaetan

Jonquiere, Qc. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing great pictures, very inviting
Gaetan

Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

exhaustipated

Topeka, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing your great photos. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Lots of great pics. Thanks. Looks like the motorcycle would be more fun than the truck and camper until it is time to go to sleep.

When our son was in camp he slept very comfy in the trailer. We had it all set up for that. It was great for him.. Air mattress and sleeping bag....Lots of room for drying clothes, dressing...
Even had his own empty milk bottle latrine....

Jim

jimmyfred

Tx

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.............Thank you for all those great pics ! I only have one comment , were I planning on riding a bike to Ak , I would pick one with a driveshaft ! How a chain can function with all the road grime on it is a miracle . , jf

2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimmyfred wrote:

.............Thank you for all those great pics ! I only have one comment , were I planning on riding a bike to Ak , I would pick one with a driveshaft ! How a chain can function with all the road grime on it is a miracle . , jf

Son's been riding dirt bikes for pleasure and competition for many years.. 37 years young.

He did carry a spare, never needed it and rode it all the way home on I5. Let me tell ya though that bike got real dirty! Chains have rubber "O" rings to keep the gunk from getting inside the rollers. He did spray lube the chain every time he filled with gas. He averaged 70MPG with that Honda.

He did change gears and chain when he got home.

Jim

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/14 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janet and I enjoyed all of your beautiful pictures and narrative...

The first comment that Janet made was "Where is Molly?" We have never seen you without her being close by.

Thanks for sharing your adventure... Seth added a new dimension to our trip reports. It's the only time I've ever looked at a blog.

Chet

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures were great, looks like you all had fun and a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/14 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

Janet and I enjoyed all of your beautiful pictures and narrative...

The first comment that Janet made was "Where is Molly?" We have never seen you without her being close by.

Thanks for sharing your adventure... Seth added a new dimension to our trip reports. It's the only time I've ever looked at a blog.

Chet

This blog "Tumblr" was a choice that I was not really happy about because the first part is the end.
It really takes a bit of work viewing clear to the last picture which is really the beginning of the trip... I had no vote...hahahaaaa, oh these girls in our life's.

Tumblr is great for telling friends that you are beginning and to view each day or so to track. But in our case, travel through Canada is difficult for Cell data services and much of the trip was without any service what so ever. When you get cell service and start updating there is not enough bandwidth to really do a good catch up.. AS YOU and JANET already know.

Molly left us for the great dog heaven about 1 year ago... We have not yet decided what to do.... DOG BOOT CAMP is about 1 year in duration... Training a dog to be well mannered and 100% obedient under all circumstances is difficult... She was one of those as you know.

[image]

Thanks for the post.

Jim

* This post was edited 08/19/14 11:34pm by bigfootford *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another Alaska trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.