|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Broken Frame

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/14 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Discovered today my passenger side frame rail Is fully severed. No idea how long it has been like that. Big TC's and rough roads don't mix well. Oh well, take it to a frame shop and splint it then sell the TC and get a small fiver.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/14 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it to a good welding fabricator. Usually the smaller shops have more experience with this type of repair.

This reminds me of my 1983 Chevy 3/4T 4X4 6.0 diesel. That poor truck was treated rough from snow plowing and cross country travel on frozen tundra. It seems like it had heavy chains on it more than it did off. It also carried a very heavy camper that now days I'd probably only put on an F450. I broke the frame twice, blew out the front end once, replaced two transmissions and took a few teeth off the rear ring gear. The old truck is still plowing a private drive in the winter and making wood runs in Fairbanks.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/14 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ouch [emoticon]

Out of interest, where did the frame break - i.e. at what point along its length?

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/14 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Broke right at the front of the bed. Once the bed is off I will have the same repair made on the other rail even though I see nothing wrong.

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/14 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man thats not good.. Can you show us some pics.. Never crossed my mind that would happen with my truck.. Mine is a beefed up 2006 dodge 2500 CTD long bed quad cab 4x4 hauling a 3900 lb. lance 990.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/14 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck for the repair job. Man, that stinks.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/14 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to do more than one frame repair to my old 94 3500 CTD dump and know of several others with second generation Dodge . I'm not sure weather it was a design or material flaw .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/14 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What tipped you off to look under?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/14 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raft,
That is not good news considering we have the same year truck. I have broken a lot of jeep frames in my time and it IS an art form to plate it up. The breaks came not from too much power but too much twisting and the torque from 130:1 gear reduction. Even retrofitting by boxing the frame on 3 sides was iffy. So, be sure you have a very good fabricator to do the job not just a muffler changer. I do know that Dodge uses a hydro formed, heat treated frame, so any welds on it must be torch heated up before welding by someone who knows what they are doing. I would not tackle that job any more, but one thing I did learn was to have equal thickness material, way longer than you think you need, no vertical welds, use a high frequency arc welder with 7018 rod which has a high nickel content and, compared to mig welding requires actual technique, suitable for use even on cast iron, and be sure to fish mouth the ends.
Sad news indeed. Yours is the first frame break I've heard of on the '01 Dodge 2/3 series trucks. Several Chevy people warned me of this happenstance.
Yours is case and point about getting a lot more truck than you think you will need. 4/5 series anyone?
regards, and condolences, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/14 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing really tipped me off, I crawled under to turn down the shock setting. While under I wanted to look around good because with a bad back I didn't want to do more than one trip under. Hard to get down and up.

You can imagine my shock when I noticed I could see thru the frame

Jefe, thanks for info, I always thought it was the next year they started with hydro framed. If you find yourself in Sac before I get this worked on I can give you a very close look.

I will put up some pictures. Totally my bad, too much weight, but it hauled it for 13 years.

* This post was edited 08/31/14 08:50pm by Raften *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Broken Frame
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.