|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT or 5W

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ScottMMO

MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/14 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning for our RV experience starting next year; our goal is to be about 80% full time, with a couple months around holidays being spent at home. We keep going back and forth on what kind of RV we should get, and we've narrowed it down to a TT or 5th, but we can't settle on one.

We have read that TT's get tossed about the highway by high winds or by getting passed by a Tractor Trailer; right this minute, that is my DW's big concern, does the lighter weight of the TT become a big issue? Our plan is to be in warm climes all year round, so south for the winter and north only in summer, to avoid cold weather issues, and we can always get wind conditions from weather forecasts and so forth, but you can't do anything about the big trucks so, can anyone here speak to the issue of TT's and wind?

Thank you for your replies.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/14 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on the type of tow vehicle you have. If you've got the truck to handle a 5er, they're hard to beat. We've towed a TT for 10 years with our Tundra and we love it. Properly set up, they both work fine, but the 5er has some inherent advantages. Comes down to budget and personal preference.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/14 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, and welcome to the forums. You're going to get a bunch of differing opinions on your questions. Best advise is to go shop around at dealerships until you have the "Ah-Ha!" moment!

I've never had issues towing a travel trailer. I have not towed a 5er, but with proper tow vehicle and proper hitching, a trailer will tow very nice. My current arrangement is so stable, I have to keep looking in the mirrors to remind myself the trailer is there. The integrated brake controller built in the truck is what makes towing such a pleasure.

Far too many buy a trailer that is simply too much for their tow vehicle. And with "bumper tows" they cheap out on hitch systems. The secret to success with a bumper tow trailer is 1) tow vehicle rated for the job and 2) a hitch system that isn't junk! If you put $25,000 into a Travel Trailer, take the plunge and spend an extra grand on a good hitching system.

Same is true with 5ers. If the truck is underpowered or not sufficient, you'll have a horrible experience there too. And get a good 5er hitch. Spend the money and don't cheap out!

TT and 5er's each have their own advantages and disadvantages. Each is designed for slightly different functionality. And pretty much, TT owners say theirs is the best, and 5er owners say theirs is the best. At the bottom line, it's just a matter of what works for YOU.

Good luck ... you're going to get lots of suggestions and things you've never considered here. Take them all in good stride. Everyone is truly trying to give you the best advise based on their personal experiences. And those experiences re the BEST teachers!

Welcome!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/14 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Ron3rd. We towed four different sized TTs and no sway or passing semi problems other than with the last one that was 32' in length. We invested in a different hitch setup and that was taken care of. Properly setup, a TT is just as stable as a fifth wheel. As you can see, we now have a fiver, but did so for the room.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/14 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use a hitch like the Hensley Arrowor similar, big winds and push from passing trucks will be non issue.
It makes a travel trailer tow just as well or better than a 5th wheel.

For me, as much as I hate to admit it, spending as much time in a rig as you plan on doing would require a rig with a lot of room and plenty of storage. The only way you will get that in abundance is with a 5th wheel trailer. We live in ours for 3 months straight every winter and also many times during the summer but sure could use more storage space! We also do not have room for a washer/dryer which many of our friends have in their rigs. If I were going to replace our present 30ft TT I think it would probably be with a 5th wheel.

There are many considerations to think about when deciding what to get, but you can rest assured that being blown around by the wind, uneven pavement, or passing trucks should not be one of them.
Hope this helps.[emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/14 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed 5th ws and TT for over 50 + years and well over 100,000 miles. I still have a 40 ft 5th w that I now use as a Rental. The TT properly equipped will tow as well as a 5th w.I have owned at least 5 5th ws and a lot of TTs. I much prefer the TT over the 5th w mainly because I use the P/Up bed to haul bikes, generators, and lots of other stuff. IN mho the TT is as safe as a 5th w

samsontdog">">

ScottMMO

MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/14 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should also note, we have not bought the TW yet; planning on both purchases at the same time, with the weight issue factored in.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/14 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TT or 5er? 2007
5er v TT Aug2011

NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/14 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you bring a lot of stuff?
I could not have a 5th because we bring so much in the bed of our pick up.
I have a cap on it, and we carry two kayaks and a canoe on the roof.
We carry two mountain bikes plus all kinds of back packing camping gear in the bed -Need I say more.

Our trailer is a 25 footer, and we have never had a wind problem or wind current problem from the big rigs in thousands of highway miles.
Prior to this one we had a 19 foot trailer, and never had problems from high winds, but I did have to hold the wheel tight for a few seconds when a big rig came by at 80MPh.
I bought a new Dodge Ram last year, and the whole system is rock solid.

Jack L

Just my two cents!

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/14 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2 cents: we love TT's; its a preference. Have had 5thw as well, but prefer the TT. On top of that, we put a topper (truck cap) on the bed of the truck to lock up/hide generator (on occasion), bikes, grill, stuff. TT's can have limited space for this stuff vs. 5er, out TT has ample storage.

Some like the higher ceilings in 5ers as well.

It's all a trade off.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> TT or 5W
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS