Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: New here...campgrounds that do not allow campfires

Posted By: Kimkalman on 10/14/14 12:29pm

Hi everyone,

We are looking for a place to camp in the United States that does not allow campfires. We are looking to camp during the winter so we need moderate or warm weather. I know...probably hard to find. My children have an autoimmune disorder and can not be around campfires. Does anyone know of any campgrounds that would work? Thank you so much for your help.

Posted By: Terryallan on 10/14/14 12:37pm

I believe Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach does not allow campfires nor do Myrtle Beach Travel park.

You may get some better answers if you tell us what part of the US you want to camp in. after all it's more than 2 thousand miles across.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Posted By: want-a-be on 10/14/14 12:42pm

Blueberry Hill in Bushnell Florida,

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 10/14/14 01:25pm

Kimkalman wrote:

Hi everyone,

We are looking for a place to camp in the United States that does not allow campfires.

ANYPLACE in the United States that's warm in winter, or would you care to narrow it down to a particular region/State?

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Posted By: Two Hands on 10/14/14 01:26pm

The vast majority of campgrounds in California do not allow camp fires now because of our severe drought.

Posted By: vermilye on 10/14/14 01:41pm

I don't know of any app or campground locating web site that filters for campfires, so you are probably going to have to call & check individual campgrounds in the area you find the weather acceptable.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Posted By: shakyjay on 10/14/14 02:07pm

Two Hands wrote:

The vast majority of campgrounds in California do not allow camp fires now because of our severe drought.

Really? Where? I haven't run into such a ban. Even the last state campground I was in the host was selling firewood.

2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

Posted By: TomBird on 10/14/14 02:11pm

Oceans Lakes:
•Campfires are permitted on campsites, conditions permitting (i.e. wind, fog, drought), and must be contained in a ring or elevated fire pit (we have shallow underground utilities). Guests must stay with the fire until it is completely out. All debris must be cleaned up afterwards.

Posted By: 2112 on 10/14/14 02:20pm

I would like to know which part of the US you plan to visit.
I can recommend many in Texas but if you are not coming this far south why bother.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Posted By: Campfire Time on 10/14/14 03:15pm

Most public facilities (state parks, national parks and forests, Army Corp of Engineers, etc) allow fires except in drought situations.

Lots of RV parks do not have fire pits or allow fires. Especially the ones that cater specifically to big rigs. I think your best approach is to narrow down where you want to go, then use http://rvparkreviews.com/ to find the nearest privately owned RV parks and either check their web sites or make some phone calls.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Posted By: cjalphonso on 10/14/14 03:24pm

Disney only allows if you bring your own fire pit at the site. It's very rare to see one. They do have one at the movie though.

Posted By: Kimkalman on 10/14/14 03:34pm

We are currently in Ohio but need a warmer climate. Either the southeast or out west as far as California. Not Texas though. Thank u for all the responses. You guys are great!

Posted By: Dick_B on 10/14/14 03:59pm

Blueberry Hill RV Resort in Bushnell, FL for sure and possibly Dunedin RV Resort in Dunedin, FL.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Posted By: Big Katuna on 10/14/14 04:10pm

Most "RV Resorts" won't allow ground fires. Some may have one community pit.

Most state and county parks will allow ground fires, usually in a ring.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Posted By: Fishinghat on 10/14/14 04:30pm

Consider Yuma, Arizona. There are many, perhaps 100+ RV parks in the immediate area around Yuma, and very, very few have fire pits. However, it isn't a place you would want to stay during the summer since temperatures can get unbearable. From November to March it is very pleasant.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Posted By: lfloom on 10/14/14 04:40pm

Not offering fire pits at the sites and not allowing fires are two very different things. I have been to RV parks that have no fire pits, but people bring their own.

Posted By: Doug33 on 10/14/14 05:17pm

A lot of CGs in this area don't allow you to bring in your own firewood for fear of spreading tree killing insects.

2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Posted By: TripleE on 10/14/14 05:30pm

Chula Vista Marina and RV Resort in the San Diego, California area. Park is on the bay and very nice. You will find that the bigger (and more expensive) RV Resorts don't allow fires.

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

Posted By: tatest on 10/14/14 06:03pm

Fort Wilderness at WDW is one that I know of.

Most RV parks and resorts I've been to do not allow fires at individual sites, but that doesn't always mean smoke-free environment because there may be fireplaces in the meeting rooms and group gathering areas, and people cook outside on their portable grills.

Most campgrounds have grills and fire pits where wood may be burned, at most campsites. That, for me, is one of the things that distinguish a campground from a RV park.

You can't always tell by the name. There are a lot of places billing themselves as "Campground" or "RV Campground" that do not permit camping activities like sleeping in a tent or building a fire, and there are places calling themselves "RV Park" that do have cabins and/or tent sites, and allow fires there even if not allowed at RV sites.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Posted By: AlabamaTraveler on 10/14/14 06:10pm

Unless things have changed, the only way to have a fire at Topsail in Destin, is to have it above ground in your container. Therefore, we rarely have seen fires there.

Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

Posted By: Kimkalman on 10/14/14 07:26pm

At this point we do plan on tent camping. Do many rv resorts allow tent camping or is that generally a no no?

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 10/14/14 07:37pm

Kimkalman wrote:

At this point we do plan on tent camping. Do many rv resorts allow tent camping or is that generally a no no?

"RV resorts" typically are limited to RV's, and sometimes even limit type/year of manufacture.

But regardless of interior type-related limitations, most that use that designation in their advertising usually look upon tent campers in much the same way that you might look upon those who like to have a campfire: undesirable neighbors!

Posted By: SDcampowneroperator on 10/14/14 09:12pm

Greetings Ms. Kalman,
Can you tell us about your childrens autoimmune deficiencies that are related to campfires?
Educating us is the best way to start.

Posted By: tpi on 10/14/14 09:59pm

I was going to point out Pechanga in southern CA does not have fire rings or campfires. But they don't offer tent camping.

Posted By: Campfire Time on 10/15/14 09:13am

Kimkalman wrote:

Some do, many don't. The ones that do usually have fire pits. As I said above, that's where phone calls are going to help you more than most of us can. For every single RV park that someone lists here, there are literally dozens, if not hundreds more throughout the south and south western US.

Posted By: Doug33 on 10/15/14 09:40am

Campgrounds in the northeast generally allow campfires and provide fire rings. However, sometimes if it has been a very dry period, states may dictate that fires are not allowed.

Posted By: Kimkalman on 10/15/14 12:52pm

My children do not eliminate volitale organic compounds or VOC,s. The circulate in their blood and poison them. Campfires have VOC's.

Posted By: RandACampin on 10/15/14 01:08pm

Your camping opportunities in a tent with no campfires will be extreemly limited. Campfires are part of camping. I do applaud you for taking the resposibility on yourself(s) instead of expecting everyone else to give up their campfire for you. Seldom seen today.

As other posters said, your best bet is to the place you want to camp and check their policies. Perhaps explain as well and see if they can put you in an isolated section, lots of state parks here have "pioneer camping" away from everyone elsee.

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 10/15/14 01:16pm

Kimkalman wrote:

My children do not eliminate volitale organic compounds or VOC,s. The circulate in their blood and poison them. Campfires have VOC's.

VOC's are everywhere, and worse where vehicles congregate; especially diesel rigs. An RV resort may not be the best place for y'all, campfires or no.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool boondocker that takes great care to choose really remote camp locations, as devoid of people as possible. That way I don't have to put up with ANY neighbor-annoyances. If you live where such locations are accessible, you might look into that. Great fun, especially in tents!

Posted By: Kimkalman on 10/15/14 02:05pm

The problem with booobdocking is no electric. We have to have electric access.

Posted By: Francesca Knowles on 10/15/14 02:31pm

Kimkalman wrote:

The problem with booobdocking is no electric. We have to have electric access.

Depending on your needs, a generator might be a solution; in your case I'd recommend propane-fired as they put out fewer VOC's.

Side note:

I hope you meant "boondocking" in the post above...[emoticon]

Posted By: lfloom on 10/15/14 02:33pm

I think Fransesca is correct. You will find a lot of RVers that feel a great need to idle their rigs for 5-10 mins at a time, and really seem to not care if it is pumping into someone else site. You might also get near someone who is smoking cigarettes.

Even if there are no fire rings, BBQs are common.

Posted By: PackerBacker on 10/15/14 02:59pm

Terryallan wrote:

I believe Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach does not allow campfires nor do Myrtle Beach Travel park.

You may get some better answers if you tell us what part of the US you want to camp in. after all it's more than 2 thousand miles across.

We're allowed campfires at Myrtle Brach Travel Park.

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2019 Ford F-150 Sport 4X4

Posted By: Oaklevel on 10/15/14 04:11pm

Campfires are allowed in a fire pit at Ocean Lakes. We have them there all the time unless the County has a burn ban.

My suggestion is call ahead or check web sites as I would say more do than don't allow campfires.

Good luck I hope that you can find locations that don't allow them as your
children will cherish the good memories.

Posted By: wbwood on 10/18/14 08:13pm

Terryallan wrote:

You can at ocean lakes.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Posted By: wbwood on 10/18/14 08:14pm

No "wood burning" fires at Tanglewood RV park in Clemons NC (near Winston-Salem).

Print  |  Close