RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Iamjustaniceguy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/14 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Temporary Tattoo and Face painting business so now we spend pretty much all summer "Camping" either at fairs working or relaxing when we can. We got a used KZ Sportsman fifth wheel this fall and I would really like to get a new larger generator (Looking at a Yamaha EF2400IS). What I/we would like to know is has anyone ever hooked a Yamaha and a Honda generator together to power a camper? I honestly think the Yamaha would power everything but it might be nice to have our old Honda 2000i to help out if needed. We know the Honda won't work for everything at least with our old camper it usually wouldn't handle the air conditioning start up.

So if anyone has ever hooked up a Yamaha 2400IS and a Honda 2000i we would love to hear how it worked and what cables you used.

Thanks!

Gary 50
Pam (women have birthdays not ages, ">)

Kids:
Jedediah 21 in the army now
Caitlin 17
Gabrielle 14

Jayco KIWI 17A, Cancel that we now have a 2007 Jayco 232 and love it so far! Dodge RAM 1500, Crew Cab, and yea it has the 5.7L HEMI! ">

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/14 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I think the Yamaha 2400 can not be paralleled.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/14 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I would mix brands together.

ryanw821

Minneapolis, Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/14 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without a way to synchronize them (something a parallel kit does for "matched" generators) they could be out of sync and possibly deliver up to 240v to your 120v system, which would be bad, very bad.

You could however safely run two independently, run RV shore power into 1st genny and run some loads off an extension cord leading to the 2nd genny, nothing wrong with that.

TT - 2015 Palomino Puma 26RLSS
TV - 2017 Nissan Titan XD (Cummins diesel)

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/14 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryanw821 wrote:

Without a way to synchronize them (something a parallel kit does for "matched" generators)
the parallel kit is nothing but wires.

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/14 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on posts that I've read, the Yamaha generators have a more standard 120 volt output as compared to the Hondas that tend to run about 128 volts until heavily loaded. This means that if the generators did sync ok, the Honda would carry all of the load until it was close to overloading. Only then would the Yamaha pick up part of the load. The output voltages are incompatible, and they would not make a good combination. I've not read of anybody actually trying it. Theory is nice, but even if the risk seems small, most or all of us are too scared to take the chance of burning out an expensive generator.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/14 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just make life simple on yourself. If you already have the honda get a matching honda, so you don't have to guess if you can parallel them (likewise if you were starting with a yamaha, stick with yamaha).

I'm not sure what system they use to parallel but if they don't synch up it can cause a lot of problems.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/14 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not parallel generators that are not at least the same make.

Yes, it can be done, in fact it is done every day, by professionals with the knowledge and hardware to do it,,, But that list of professionals does not include thee or me (You because if you were on that list you'd not have ask).

Best to parallel honda with Honda and yahama with Yahama

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

NinerBikes

Somewhere camping

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/14 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy another Eu2000i Honda and a parallel cable kit, and be done with it. 3600 watts on tap, when you need it. Always parallel the cables first before starting either generator. That should run everything on your 5th wheel, though not all at the same time, you might have to juggle some things being off while other items are on. A/C unit and microwave or AC and hair dryer at the same time would be big no no's.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/14 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never read a post of connecting different brands. You could be the first [emoticon]
Honestly... get a Honda companion and parallel kit.
Maybe even go crazy with an extended run fuel tank.

http://www.wisesales.com/bergs-dual-feed-extended-run-tank-for-honda.html

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS