RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/14 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inverter generators from different MFG, using different electronics to create the output power are not safe too connect together

Stream driven or water driven hydro turbines are synced by brute force
They bring them online by slowly applying load ( connecting to system thru inductive load) and using the back EMF to drive them into alignment aka synchronous spinning

Something you cannot to with consumer grade ( inverter output ) portable generators

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/14 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Inverter generators from different MFG, using different electronics to create the output power are not safe too connect together

Stream driven or water driven hydro turbines are synced by brute force
They bring them online by slowly applying load ( connecting to system thru inductive load) and using the back EMF to drive them into alignment aka synchronous spinning

Something you cannot to with consumer grade ( inverter output ) portable generators

i disagree, the inverters in the honda are nothing more then sync capable, just like every grid tied inverter on the market for solar.

i see 0 reason for it not work, im pretty sure the honda will work with any generator inverter or not.

now if they carry the load equally is a different story

flame suit on !

Crazy Ray

Monroe,La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/14 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YES the YAMAHA 2400 can be PARALLEL (PAGE 6 of Manual)

RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

ryanw821

Minneapolis, Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/14 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

ryanw821 wrote:

Without a way to synchronize them (something a parallel kit does for "matched" generators)
the parallel kit is nothing but wires.

True, I was being a bit vague, the sync is internal to the generator, but the wires connect the two together so they can sync to each other, Unless I knew for a FACT that Honda and Yamaha sync signals were handled in the same way I would NOT try to hook them up together.

TT - 2015 Palomino Puma 26RLSS
TV - 2017 Nissan Titan XD (Cummins diesel)

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/14 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

Never read a post of connecting different brands.
Here's one: Paralleled Honda and Kipor post
There have been a lot of Honda inverter generator "facts" promoted on the forum that have proven to be false. Some offhand examples:
1) Connecting one of the AC output wires to chassis ground will burn out the generator. (i.e. "neutral-ground bond").
2) Can't parallel different wattage eu-series generators.
3) Can't parallel more than 2 generators.
4) Can't parallel generators without additional synchronization apparatus.

There are outstanding assertions that can't be proven or disproven because they need volumes of long-term data we probably won't ever have:
1) Running air conditioner from eu2000i will burn out the air conditioner.
2) Running air conditioner from the eu2000i will burn out the generator.
3) Running a generator near its rated load will shorten its life.

I'm not encouraging experimentation without the full acceptance that the risk is totally with whoever does it. I do encourage being careful to separate opinion from actual experience or established fact.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/14 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

i see 0 reason for it not work, im pretty sure the honda will work with any generator inverter or not.
I'll disagree with half of this. The Honda eu-series generators have a very small frequency range they will operate in. They vary their frequency within this range to maintain sync. Sync difference is determined by comparing the phase of the voltage and current output. I can't imagine any small non-inverter genset being able to maintain the frequency range and stability required by the Honda to originate or maintain the synchronization.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/14 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently I forgot that post from seven years ago.
Looks like good to go [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ryanw821

Minneapolis, Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/14 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really wouldn't have thought 2 dissimilar brand gennys would sync, certainly wouldn't have tried it myself not knowing, lol.

I am old school though, my generator isn't an inverter model (I don't use it camping so don't need it to be quiet). I know with traditional generators you cant sync them without extra gear. I would have figured the inverter ones were similar and needed matched gear to sync.

AnnistonT

New York

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there may be no exclusive companion unit, but you can still parallel most inverter generators with parallel cables that have a 30-amp outlet. ... You can use these cables for 3000-watt inverter generators as well but be sure to only pair matching generators with the same amperage and voltage.

map40

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have connected any of the following in any configuration:
2 3500 Predator
1 2200 Predator
2 2200 Roybi
3 different regular inverters

They all get in sync when you connect them. Even when running under load. I could start both ACs in my 36 feet class A with a 3500 and a 2200 and then move the 2200 out for a few minutes, bring another one and connect it later, and the load would automatically balance between the two units, according to capacity. Don't ask me how, I don't know.
As a matter of fact, once for a Relay for Life event we had 3 RVs (1 A and 2 Cs) and 4 Inverter generators. We bridged them ALL and connected the RVs to them (Gen 1 - C - Gen 2 - A - Gen 3 - C - Gen 4). We were able to shut down one at a time, refuel, let it rest and restart and move to the next without a glitch.
Of course, we had to make our own parallel adapters, which took all but 30 minutes.

2007 and 08 Majestic 28As, 2013 Sunseeker 3070DS, 2015 and 2 2016 Jayco 31XLs
Life rocks when your home rolls

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS