RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
map40

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

What has mechanically syncing large generators got to do with the price of tea in China? I don’t think that was the question.

These small inverter generators are self-syncing.
I’ve connected Yamahas and Hondas. I’ve also connected various different size units.
There’s no different-brand issue.
Do you worry about plugging your equipment into different brand generator’s power?
Do you think your microwave or computer operate differently on Honda 60Hz 120VAC than they do on Yamaha 60Hz 120VAC?
No!
It works fine. The generators don’t know or care where the other source of 60Hz 120VAC is coming from, it is what it is.

Don’t waste an extra $100 on a Honda “Companion”. That’s marketing BS. It’s zero different other than having a 30A twist-lock outlet on its panel, which doesn’t help you anyway because it’s not an RV-30, so you’ll be using an adapter anyway.
You gain absolutely nothing.

What I’d do it if were you is get another Honda, a new EU2200.
It’ll cost less than the 2400, it weighs a lot less, and when you parallel it with your existing EU2000 you’ll have plenty of power.

Harbor freight sells a rather nice parallel box. I’ve always made my own but at their price if I needed one today I’d just buy theirs.

Parallel kit

Agree. At their price, is easier to buy their and reconfigure to your liking.

2007 and 08 Majestic 28As, 2013 Sunseeker 3070DS, 2015 and 2 2016 Jayco 31XLs
Life rocks when your home rolls

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 12:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where in the world did you get the idea I took offense?

I just find it difficult for my fingers to connect wires together with no clue as to the possible outcome. PS: The most challenging of all my curriculum was Celestial Mechanics. The dullest was forensic auditing. The most tedious was chemistry.

Then I found chemistry and electrical melded perfectly with lead acid batteries the MBA reined in a proclivity to expend tempting over-budget dollars for even more test equipment and Celestial Mechanics piped in when I peered outside and found the stars in the wrong place (spending all night on a stool crunching numbers).

My economics exposure led me by my nose on a trail to the Skunkworks auction buried deep in a technical magazine -- .50 pound for brand new space shuttle wire (Just a guess but 5-7 tons total wire purchase would be a fair estimate*) and of course the 15Kw PW+Analog generator waveform generator. The penalty for nerdiness was 100% devotion to educating myself with full-time work and no play except for horsepack trips.

*I sold perhaps 1-1/2 tons of brand new Teflon FAA/PMA certified wire at $4.00/lb. 800% markup. And a job with Lockheed unsnarling a bogus maintenance battery charger for their lab power supply.

The net sum total? Caution. Not some gyro gearloose attitude.

Kelley's Law

Murphy Was An Optimist

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps one cannot just parallel generators willy-nilly.

From Honda:

EU2200i and EU2000i Parallel Operation

The EU2200i are only compatible with EU2000i or EU2000i Companion models within a specific serial number range:

EAAJ-2017305 through EAAJ-9999999
EACT-1000001 through EACT-9999999

Connecting an EU2200i with an EU2000i or EU2000i Companion that is not within the compatible serial range above may cause a low voltage output, which can damage tools and appliances powered by the generators. Units outside the compatible serial number range should only be paralleled with another EU2000i.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then there are people who race express freight trains to a crossing swearing up and down those who criticize the practice as being somehow defective.
I readily admit to being "defective".

map40

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Where in the world did you get the idea I took offense?

I just find it difficult for my fingers to connect wires together with no clue as to the possible outcome. PS: The most challenging of all my curriculum was Celestial Mechanics. The dullest was forensic auditing. The most tedious was chemistry.

Then I found chemistry and electrical melded perfectly with lead acid batteries the MBA reined in a proclivity to expend tempting over-budget dollars for even more test equipment and Celestial Mechanics piped in when I peered outside and found the stars in the wrong place (spending all night on a stool crunching numbers).

My economics exposure led me by my nose on a trail to the Skunkworks auction buried deep in a technical magazine -- .50 pound for brand new space shuttle wire (Just a guess but 5-7 tons total wire purchase would be a fair estimate*) and of course the 15Kw PW+Analog generator waveform generator. The penalty for nerdiness was 100% devotion to educating myself with full-time work and no play except for horsepack trips.

*I sold perhaps 1-1/2 tons of brand new Teflon FAA/PMA certified wire at $4.00/lb. 800% markup. And a job with Lockheed unsnarling a bogus maintenance battery charger for their lab power supply.

The net sum total? Caution. Not some gyro gearloose attitude.

Kelley's Law

Murphy Was An Optimist

As I read your experience, we may have a few friends in common. And I do love Kelley's Law!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Can you hook two different kinds of generators together?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS