|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> What's the best "Diesel" rewards credit card to get

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
holstein13

Fort Lauderdale, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/14 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to apply for a new gas card or credit card that will offer the best cash, discounts, or reward points possible.

Since I'm fulltiming, I'd expect to use a lot of diesel gas and I don't mind patronizing Loves or Flying J to get the best deal, but I've noticed that Loves claims to have 330 locations and Pilot / Flying J claims to have 550 locations. My travels so far look like Loves has more locations, but I guess it's my travel pattern which will change.

It costs me about $700 to fill my tank at current prices plus filling up the toad. We plan to travel extensively for the next two years.

Has anyone done the research lately and come up with some good options?

2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/14 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Pentagon Federal Credit Union still offers 5% cash back on all fuel purchases for ANY type of fuel at ANY station with their Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card.
That is IN ADDITION to the normal discount that you get with the Good Sams membership card at Flying J and Pilot.
I should add that there is NO limit to the amount of discount that you can earn. Some CC put a $1500 limit, etc, but not Penfed. You get the cash discount each month off of your monthly statement.

* This post was edited 12/08/14 08:13am by rgatijnet1 *

is it friday yet?

Westland, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/14 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would choose a credit card to use anywhere instead of a Loves or Pilot card. I found this with a search on Bankrate.com

Gas rewards credit cards

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

smlranger

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/14 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got a Capital One Quicksilver card when I retired and we started traveling more. We use it whenever we cannot use our Good Sam/Flying J fuel card (credit card). We found it so convenient to use the Flying J card since we can pull into the truck fuel island, swipe, fuel and go. Plus I believe we get about $.07 discount per gallon.

We traveled coast-to-coast this past summer and Pilot/Flying J's certainly outnumbered the Love's. There were few times when we filled at other places.

2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/14 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

The Pentagon Federal Credit Union still offers 5% cash back on all fuel purchases for ANY type of fuel at ANY station with their Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card.
That is IN ADDITION to the normal discount that you get with the Good Sams membership card at Flying J and Pilot.

The only problem with the PenFed card is that fuel purchases must be charged "at the pump". That can be difficult at truck stops. I still use the PenFed for everything and get the 5% where I can. It also gives you 3% on groceries, including everything you charge at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/14 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

accsys wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

The only problem with the PenFed card is that fuel purchases must be charged "at the pump". That can be difficult at truck stops. I still use the PenFed for everything and get the 5% where I can. It also gives you 3% on groceries, including everything you charge at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

All you have to do is call PenFed and explain the situation at the pump. You will get an actual person to talk to and they can make the necessary adjustment to your bill.
With the normal GS discount PLUS the 5% PenFed discount, it amounts to close to a 20 cent/gallon discount. This is worth the hassle of making a phone call.

bullydogs1

OBX, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/14 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10x PEN FED..best org I have ever dealt with with a credit card as they give you back each month AND if you call you get someone in the USA that knows something and can make you happy...

Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

DKeppner

Ate too much so I'm a

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/14 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ref PenFed or other credit card. What I've seen out here (northwest) is two prices - cash/debit and credit card with the credit card running upwards to $.10 higher per gallon. And heaven help you if you pull into a "charter" FJ which is outside of the GS discount.

Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

holstein13

Fort Lauderdale, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/14 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I've never earned a wage from the US Government and I am not eligible.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/14 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL if I had a 800 to 900K MH that held 200 gallons, I might have to park it as I could not afford to do much after the payment

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
405 Campgrounds,91K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1961 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> What's the best "Diesel" rewards credit card to get
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.