|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> 6" 2" Tall

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rlepperson

Urbana, IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/14 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Class C motor homes (Sprinter is an exception, but I am not interested in diesel) that I have seen are difficult for me to drive due to my 6'2" frame, as the "dog house" cuts back the rear motion of the seat. Some of Class C's are an inch or so too short for my height. Does the Class B+ allow the drivers seat to recline for more leg room than a "typical C" and is the roof adequate on any or all models to allow for standing up and stretching?

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/14 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An alternate option-

I'm 6' 3" and very comfortable in my pickup truck used to tow our TT originally and now our 5th wheel.

For comfort (both driving and relaxing while camping) you might consider a truck or SUV and TT setup

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/14 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each Class C model design (with or without slides) will most likely be slightly different, dimensionally, from every other Class C model design.

Just look for a Class C that does not restrict tipping back of the driver's seat-back - after also sliding the drivers seat back the maximum amount.

I'm also 6'2". Our 24 foot Itasca Class C without a slide has the back of it's forward dinette seat right up against the back of the Ford driver's seat whenever the driver's seat is slid all the way back. However, Winnebago mounted the dinette seat back using a piano hinge along it's lower edge so that, when not in use, it can be tilted down and away from the back of the driver's seat - thus allowing the driver's seat back to be tilted back quite a bit after also sliding the driver's seat all the way back on it's rail.

Quite an ingenious design by Winnebago, and it fits me fine for long driving runs.

However, slides may present a difficult clearance design challenge whenever they start right behind the driver's seat.

* This post was edited 12/17/14 10:18am by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/14 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Forum! And just in time for the Holidays!

Something with a Chevrolet chassis will help in the "C" market. Their "van" cab offers more space than Ford. I'd say, Get Thee to a mega-dealer or RV show and browse around. Indiana and Iowa may not be just around the corner, but they're well within travel range if you want to visit some of the builders.

Watch out for interference from retracted slides when you evaluate driving position. You'll need a floor plan that doesn't restrict any of the legroom and reclining capacity the cab offers.

A couple builders, Tiger and Host come to mind, build on a pickup chassis instead of a van. Something there might appeal to you.

Make builders and dealers work to get you into the RV community. You may end up looking for used units on private sales, but the dealers, builders and shows are where you'll see enough units to get an idea what you want.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Vacay Wheels

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/14 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

Something with a Chevrolet chassis will help in the "C" market. Their "van" cab offers more space than Ford.

Nine inches more, in fact! Well, not all of that added length is in driver legroom, but still it's quite noticeable. I am also 6-2, and have eliminated Ford van-based units (E350/E450) from my search for this exact reason.

2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215 (on order) ">
www.vacaywheels.com
_

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/14 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 6'6'' I needed all the extra room also,I found that one built on a Chevy Chassis was so much better than the ones built on a Ford Chassis.
Here is what I found.

Length The Chevy is 9 inches longer.

But the real story is the interior.

The area from the Dog House to the kick panel,the floor board where your feet are.

The Chevy is 18 inches wide and mostly flat.

The Ford is 15 inches wide but has a 2 inch rise that is 5 inches wide leaving only 10 inches of flat floor.

With the seat pushed back as far as it goes on both the Ford And Chevy. Both having Stock Factory seats
I found.
Foot well depth to front of seat. Chevy 31 inches Ford 27 inches

Seat back to steering wheel. Chevy 26 inches Ford 23 inches

Front of seat to Dash. Chevy 29 inches Ford 23 inches 6" More leg room!

Dog House width,measured at dash Chevy 15 inches Ford 23 inches 4 inches less knee room for passenger and driver.

Dog House depth into cab from dash Chevy 8 inches Ford 11 inches

There are quite a few Class C or C-(notice that I did not say the fictional Class B+) that are built on a Chevy Chassis

One Example is The Leisure Libero that may fit your needs.

* This post was edited 02/28/15 10:00am by IAMICHABOD *

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/14 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am about 6' 4" and have had both the Chevy based and Ford based motorhomes. There is no disputing that a stock Chevy has better leg room for taller persons. However, we currently have one of those fictional B+ Ford Motorhomes (Winnebago). I Raised the drivers seat 2 inches and moved it back so that I have additional legroom. Its now very comfortable as the Ford seat is cushier that the Chevy one. Just needed to adjust it a little. I also like the cruise control on the steering wheel better that the cruise set up on the Chevy. Makes it easier when on those long 12 hour days.

For me the biggest selling point for the Chevy based Motorhome is fuel economy seems to be about 10% better than the Ford.

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/14 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not tall. But I will put in a plug for my Class C, a Sunseeker 2300 on the Chevy chassis. It has a residential size queen bed, 60x80. You didn't ask about beds, but I thought you might be interested in that aspect too.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

rooney77

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/14 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered amputation? [emoticon]

1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

Golden_HVAC

Fairview OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/14 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not like any of the 90's class A motorhomes with a slide for the same reason, the designers decided to mount the slide out in the same area as the drivers seat needs to be while driving!

Class C is especially compact, and I can feel your pain. Try another manufacture, as most of the designs from one company will be the same.

Most class A from one company will only have so many inches from the forward most drivers seat position to the slide out location while it is in. Other companies have more space between the drivers seat and the forward wall of the slide out!

Good luck finding something!

Fred.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> 6" 2" Tall
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.