|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Giant bubble levels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bruce H.

Lodi, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/14 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased the Camco level. I didn't want to put any holes in the front of the trailer, and I thought that the small tube for fore-and-aft leveling would look dumb pointed at the sky. So I removed the tube from the aluminum housing and mounted it directly to the trailer with Scotch Extreme double-sided mounting tape.

I made little feet from 1/8" aluminum flat stock:
[image]

Front view:
[image]

I mounted the level where I can see it from the side mirror:
[image]

Did this last August. Since then we have logged about 500 miles with no issues with the level. Must say that it is really nice to have the big level, especially now that I am using the Andersen leveler. I just pull forward onto the Andersen leveler until I see level in the mirror. [emoticon]

Bruce

2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

Hoosier Daddy

N/E Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/14 02:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are great! Not to hyjack the thread, but when installing the new level how did you guys deterimine your TT was acually "level"?
My Coachmen has none for reference. Thinking I'll have to put a carpenters level inside on the floor for the initial Zero-ing.

TT: 2005 Coachmen 248TBG "Spirit of America"
TV: 2013 Ford F150 S/Cab 4X4

Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/14 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoosier Daddy wrote:

Those are great! Not to hyjack the thread, but when installing the new level how did you guys deterimine your TT was acually "level"?
My Coachmen has none for reference. Thinking I'll have to put a carpenters level inside on the floor for the initial Zero-ing.

The fridge is the most important thing to have level so I put a bubble level in the freezer compartment and leveled the camper from there the first time. Then I stuck on the outside levels.

1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/14 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caveman Charlie wrote:

Hoosier Daddy wrote:

The fridge is the most important thing to have level so I put a bubble level in the freezer compartment and leveled the camper from there the first time. Then I stuck on the outside levels.

On my campers, the stove top is the most important thing to have level.

The fridge will be fine if the stove top is level. The wife will be happy if the stove top is level, and I am happy when the wife is happy.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Hoosier Daddy

N/E Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/14 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy wife, happy life!
Thanks,.. I was tinking of the tounge but wasn't sure that was best. Fridge and stove top makes sence

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/14 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

Caveman Charlie wrote:

Hoosier Daddy wrote:

On my campers, the stove top is the most important thing to have level.

The fridge will be fine if the stove top is level. The wife will be happy if the stove top is level, and I am happy when the wife is happy.

Never though of that, but you have a point, nother worst than chasing an over easy egg across a skillet[emoticon]

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Houston Remodeler

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/14 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a contractor, the work levels are safely stored behind the seat of the TV. When ready to level the TT, I use the 4 footer. This may seem excessive, but it makes leveling the TT more accurate and easier. Since the TT is twice as wide as the level is long, all I have to do is lift one end of the level until it reads level. Double that distance and I know exactly how much to lift the low side. No guess work needed.

To be excessive, I also own a 4 foot digital level. The readout can be switched to inches per foot. No lifting one end of the level necessary. Just read the display and double the number to shim the low side. If I didn't already own a digital level, I wouldn't run out and buy one for leveling the TT, but since I have one within arms reach.....

* This post was edited 12/24/14 11:27pm by Houston Remodeler *

2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

xzyHollyxyz

SE US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/14 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Wheel Master and here is how I mounted it. I believe I also put a small amount of butyl type around the outside edge. I love this level, especially when combined with the Andersen levelers...perfect for the single traveler.

[image]

2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

Hoosier Daddy

N/E Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/14 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitch5252: You must have this one?

[image]

Jetstreamer

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/14 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something to think about when using a bigger level that has the metal ball as a reference instead of a "bubble": if your trailer is off level and your trying to determine which is the low side, a bubble on a bubble level will go off to the high side but on the metal ball type the ball will of course roll to the low side.
I have both types of levels on my rig and I was in a bit of a hurry one day trying to determine how many boards to put under the wheels and I kept screwing up by reading my metal ball level wrong!
I say again... I was in a bit of a hurry....I know that reading a level is pretty basic...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Giant bubble levels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.