|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/17 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally got around to adding a controller to my solar panels. The panels were mentioned back on this post:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac........d/28113784/gotomsg/29095241.cfm#29095241

This is the controller I added to the back of the solar panel board. I like it because it also has USB charging ports for my USB devices.
[image]

* This post was last edited 07/27/19 12:14pm by Black'95 *   View edit history

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/17 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is time for another modification to my camper van. I ordered a Surco 103H hook over door ladder and installed it today. It is made for an even square door and my van's door slants down a little towards the tail lights, so I had to borrow a tube bender from my local hardware store and modify it just a little bit to get it to look vertically straight on the door. That wasn't too hard with the right tools. It feels very sturdy and I am looking forward to using it on camping trips.
[image]

[image]

As my wife says, my van is never finished. I am always looking for little ways to improve on it.

* This post was edited 07/27/19 12:16pm by Black'95 *

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/18 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not been modifying my van camper much, just using it to travel and camp. This weekend it was time for another modification that I have been contemplating for quite some time, especially ever since the previous solar eclipse that I viewed from central Wyoming. I have always thought that my roof rack would make a good observation deck as well as able to carry stuff. In addition, items carried on top will not fall through the bars and scratch the paint on the roof of the van. To that effect I purchased several diamond tread aluminum panels that would fit between the reinforcement bars of my roof rack. Today I mounted them and screwed them down. Now my rear roof rack ladder leads to my new observation deck.

[image]

* This post was last edited 07/27/19 12:18pm by Black'95 *   View edit history

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to your patience while my pictures were not accessible on this site. I lost my storage on my homepage when my web provider no longer provided users with webpages and storage. I have used RV.NET[emoticon]hoto Posting now, so I should not have that problem again.
My latest modification has been to the mounting of my dashcam. I had it mounted in a sandbag type device on the dash. I recently went to the swivel mounting unit on the rear-view mirror. Now it is up out of the way. I also threaded the power cable along the edge of the window and along the A-Pillar so it, too, is out of the way.
[image]

* This post was edited 07/28/19 08:42am by Black'95 *

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Hmmm... I just looked a photo of a Transit dashboard and NOTHING is flat or level - but I'll bet the cupholders are? Maybe I could mount a circular "level" indicator on the bottom of a tin can.... adding it to my to-do list :-)

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time for a little camping at Pactola Reservoir in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
[image]

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made the big jump this month to a much newer van. It is a 2018 Chevrolet Express with 15K miles. I have spent the last several weeks transferring everything from the old van (2001) to the newer van. It was fairly easy because Chevrolet has not changed the body style of the Express van in over 20 years. Not much new to add -- just the changeover. I will post some improvements in future posts. One of the big improvements was that this newer van had OnStar and a WiFi hotspot. Now we can check our email, download our newspapers, and keep in touch as we drive which we couldn't do before because our cell phones are fairly simple TracFones.
[image]

* This post was edited 10/20/19 05:25pm by Black'95 *

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gorgeous van - glad the transfer was easy!! And yes, the newer vehicles have some nice options!

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Gorgeous van - glad the transfer was easy!! And yes, the newer vehicles have some nice options!

Thanks. I will miss the electric seats and the "Cadillac" ride of the old 2001 LT (1500), but I will have better towing and load capacities with the new 2500. Chevrolet doesn't even make the 1500 anymore. The old one had many features that I didn't need and did not use. For example: the dual monitors and VHS video system. We took the new one on its maiden camper voyage last Friday night. Everything went well and I found a few things that needed changing and upgrading. We sure enjoyed the van's hotspot because our game, fish & parks campgrounds here in SD do not have WiFi.
[image]

* This post was edited 10/21/19 09:21am by Black'95 *

Black'95

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we changed colors of van when we upgraded from the 2001 indigo blue van to the newer 2018 black van we felt a change of mascots was due too. Cookie Monster just didn't seem to fit the black one, so my wife found a new mascot. The name has not been finalized yet but my wife is leaning towards "Gizmo" because of all the little mods I have made to the van!
[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 18  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  DIY

> My Chevrolet Express van Class B- camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS