RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Refresh -New Torklift Talons Aluminum Tie downs, LEDs

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Refresh -New Torklift Talons Aluminum Tie downs, LEDs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/14 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I've been spending some time and money freshening the truck up. It's an '01 (built Dec '00), I've had it since new, and it's almost worn out at 75k miles.

Recently I put all new glass in it - even though it's been garaged since new, the side glass was spotted and had fine up/down scratches, rock chips in the windshield, etc. Replaced everything but the back window.

Next, took it down to the body shop and had all the door dings and scratches taken out and polished.

Next, new spray-in bedliner. It never had one before, and it covered up a lot of wear and tear in the bed.

Now, time to replace the tie-downs. Why? They were 15 years old and painted twice already. Plus, these new ones look kinda cool and they're SUPER light. I was shocked how sturdy they looked but still felt like 5 lbs.

[image]

[image]

Then came the front end - I wanted better control of the light, so I got these projector lenses. Then put 6000k HID's in the low-beam, and matching 15w 6000k LEDs in the fog and high beams. And for the extra kick when needed, a 24" light bar in a custom mount behind the custom painted grill.
Why mix HID's and LED's? If you have to hit your hi-beams in a hurry, HIDs have to warm up, and are really ineffective when it comes to reminding that special someone that just cut you off that you're a fully loaded 20k-lb rig.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Next for the to-do list to freshen it up, new carpet, and then I REALLY want to get one of those new Torklift 30k SuperHitch Magnum. Saving pennies as we speak...

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

msgtord

Az & Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/14 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice!

1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/14 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/14 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The mods look great, Boaty. I, too, recently installed the T/L Talons. Super light. Love them.

2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

-Kevin

Monroe, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/14 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want better lighting too but worried LEO's would ticket me for it.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC DRW auto
2008 AF 990
FS bags
Viair OBA
Rancho 9000XL's

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/14 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

-Kevin wrote:

I want better lighting too but worried LEO's would ticket me for it.

Well, with projector lights, the low-beam you're actually getting yourself better light, and at the same time reducing eye-ball level glare. The projector lens focuses a more controlled beam.
The hi-beams on the other hand... well, ya, don't flash an on-coming cop with them.

TriumphGuy

Simpsonville, SC, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/14 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boatycall wrote:

Next, took it down to the body shop and had all the door dings and scratches taken out and polished.

Very nice work. I replaced my F250 headlights with 2005-style lights and HIDs. Big difference!

What did fixing your scratches and dings set you back? My dark blue truck has lots of scars, I've been wanting to get that taken care of...

2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

GULFMAN

MOORESVILLE, NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/14 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Boatycall,

Was interested about your F550 rear suspension.
I have a 02 with about 35,000 miles, would like to move to a bigger TC
but stay with my 02.Any advice?

Thanks

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/15 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GULFMAN wrote:

Was interested about your F550 rear suspension.
I have a 02 with about 35,000 miles, would like to move to a bigger TC but stay with my 02.Any advice?

I ordered mine like that, as far as what I'd recommend, I'd try the Torklift StableLoads first, and if you're not getting the lift you need from those, just add a few more overload leafs.
I'm sure we'll have other folks chime in about air bags, but I'm not a fan of them. Fittings leak, bags pop, you need to keep some kind of compressor with you or on-board, etc.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/15 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice headlight upgrades. SPeaking of LEDs, I replaced the old skool incandescent bulbs with these for my backup lights -

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/cm_3156w.htm

It really made a big difference.

edit: fixed some typos

* This post was edited 01/07/15 12:18pm by trail-explorer *

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Refresh -New Torklift Talons Aluminum Tie downs, LEDs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS