|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The fickle finger of fate was messing with me again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/15 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I felt like Artie Johnson on the Tricycle. The last weekend of 2014 was a doozy

Ruth got invited to ride in a clinic with a trainer that won a bronze medal as a rider at the World Equestrian Games and was an Alternate for the US Olympic Equestrian Team. Quite the honor for her. My job, get the truck and horse trailer ready to go and do all the driving. I had everything loaded up as set to head out first thing Saturday morning for a two hour tow, we would be staying in the lance over night.

Saturday morning, Had it all planned so that we would have a little over two hours to get ready for Ruth's hour with the trainer once we hit the facility. Loaded in the dogs, turned the Key rurr rurr click click click the dang batteries were dead. [emoticon] Shifted into high gear, jumped into my car and off to auto zone the closest parts store for two group 65 batteries. Hands down this was the fastest run to the store and back and swap out two batteries on the planet
as I did not want to incur the wrath of my ultra competitive wife if we missed the clinic ride. Turned the key and off we went.

[image]

I had the rig, all 55' of it set up perfectly. We went though the rough patches of the Altamont with ease and into the central valley with our route taking us on Interstates 580, 205, 5 then on to state route 4 to 99 north to Sacramento.

Fate decided to mess with me again.

I tow at 55 mph (CA Limit) and I was following a gas tanker in the slow lane with a following distance of about 150'. A white pickup whipped by on my left cut between me and the tanker and jumped into the exit lane to my right nearing the gore point for the exit he jumped back into my lane leaving me about 75'. I got off the gas and covered my brake. Just past the ramp, he hits his brakes hard and goes to the shoulder, only problem was that he did not get completely out of my lane. I was closing fast and there was no way I was stopping in time. Of course I had another truck to my left. No good options so I squeezed left and rode the bots dots figuring a side to side kiss was better than a front to back slam. The driver on my left was on his horn none too pleased as he was doing 70. Looked in my right mirror and I missed the truck on the fog line with my trailer by about 4 inches. Yeah my pulse rate went up a bit. No harm...whew.

we made it
[image]

Arrived at the facility with an hour and a half to get ready. Unloaded the horse and tack, dropped off the trailer, parked the truck in the RV lot grabbed the video camera and ran over to help Ruth saddle up then Video her ride. The trainer really pushed them up to ride at the next level and it went well as you can see by her smile.

[image]

beautiful place
[image]

The Dogs really like the RV area as they have grassy fields to run in and the morning sunrise was beautiful.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The Sunday clinic ride went well and then we loaded up and headed home. We stooped out on I5 in Lathrop to hit the Giradelli Chocolate outlet for hot fudge sundays..mmmmm

Once more up and over the horrible pavement that makes up the Altamont pass. At the crest we could see the hills near the barn where we keep the horse off in the distance.

Fate decided to mess with me again...Brake Lights. all 5 lanes going from 65 to almost a dead stop. There was a Safeway Semitruck in front of me and I saw a big poof of hay come off his front bumper. My first though was someone dropped a hay bale. Then I saw parts of car bumpers, lots and lots of hay, cars limping to the shoulder. I let the semi clear my lane for me. At the bottom of the grade there was a commercial hay hauler on the shoulder with the driver looking at what was left of his load holding what was left of a load strap in his hand...

again we made it home with no damage.
[image]

Now I remember why I try to stay off the roads during the holidays

Good combination..well practiced defensive driving skills, 19.5 wheels, well maintained trailer brakes and tires, and a torklift superhitch, super truss and a weight distributing hitch all working together.

* This post was last edited 01/04/15 06:12pm by Buzzcut1 *   View edit history

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

BigBlockFord

Willamette Valley, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/15 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear it worked out for everyone ( your better half, drivers, and dogs); it sure pays to always be on the defense when driving, especially hauling weight. The lack of basic physics comprehension by other drivers never ceases to amaze me...

BBF

1995 F350, 4x4, CC, 460, E4OD w/ Banks PowerPak & TransCommand, factory LS & F/R sway bars, 08+SD finned DC, 9000XL's, airbags
2011 AF990, 2-GRP 27's, 320W Solar, SS-Duo

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/15 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see you were paying attention to your #1 job - driving. That let you leave fate disappointed this time by staying safe and in one piece.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Rich1961

Colfax Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/15 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice to hear your trip was a success and you made it home safely. I see drivers do that all the time, cut in front of you to take the off ramp when they could have fallen in behind and made everyones day much safer.
Rich

2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/15 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like an exciting trip! Glad it worked out!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/15 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ya whats up with that, I had to brake for a guy that decided to pass me then immediately cut me off to take the off ramp? I dont know how I didnt hit him. Morons.
5 miles down the road I'm doing 60 behind a semi, -just cruising. Guy in a pickup doing 70 in the fast lane passes me on left. At the same time another guy getting on the freeway decides hes not waiting to merge-I see him speed up, whoa- shoots across both lanes in front of the semi into fast lane, meantime the guy that passed me on left is now at the trucks front bumper where the 'merging' car magically appears. Holy !!!!. Me Im already on the brake, guy in the pickup is all over the place, smokes rolling from the semi. I dont know how pickup maintained control-I was expecting him to slip under the tractor trailer. Were down to a bout 35 for a few, I gather everyones checking there drawers. Car is long gone...

Glad you survived fates fickle finger unscathed. By the looks of that grin on Ruths face appears worth the excitement.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

trailgranny50

North Central Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/15 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your survival! You're right, it never ceases to amaze me at the stupidity and rudeness if done drivers. I used to ride Hunters years ago when I was lighter and more nimble and we hauled a bunch with TC and two horse oldie. Girls have always been barrel racers and train now so we've been the miles. Had many close calls. Time, age and injuries along with funding have me down to trail riding with my now one-eyed horse and one horse trailer. Even with the TC the old dually doesn't even know it's there. Tandem axle with brakes, really old but well reconditioned and hauls real well. My Cisco even likes it better than the 3 horse slant w/living quarters we hauled until retirement a few years ago. Think the closer quarters let him "snuggle" and not get shuffled around as much as in the larger stalls. First time I loaded him in it he just sniffed and walked right in whereas the other trailer he'd think about it a lot longer but loaded anyway, eventually. He doesn't get sweaty our tired in the tiny trailer. Go figure.

2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/15 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, glad you escaped unscathed, save for the annoyance. It purely does amaze me that so few are actually killed, given the number of total morons they've given driver's licenses to.

Drive carefully, folks, and don't let them suck you into their accidents.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/15 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your skills and much outright good luck really paid off for everyone on this trip!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/15 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats to Ruth. You have every reason to be proud of her accomplishments and hard work. Of course kudos to you, with your extensive EMS driving background being aware of your surroundings and situations is obviously paramount. Though you downplayed the situation it is not lost on me on the reflexes that it takes to maintain a rig like you are driving (A moving horse is different than something tied down, like my motorcycle).

Also, I will look forward to hearing how those new batteries work out for you too. Mine are still going well, but batteries are measured in cycles, not time, so I am always thinking what I would replace my OEM with.

Have a great 2015, Eric.

b

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The fickle finger of fate was messing with me again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.