RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Why Do We Have To Pay Full Price ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Why Do We Have To Pay Full Price ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JDS549

SPEARMAN, TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/02 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it is no secret, no HIDDEN cost, you can use it
or not. some people use the facalities more than
others, but they are there to use if you pay the
price. my suggestion, slow down, stop ealier and
stop by my 5er for a cup o joe. you are missing
a lot of good people. enjoy

JERRY FROM TEXAS
I "NEED" A FREIGHTLINER
1999 F250, DIESEL,AUTO, 3.73, 265'S
2000 27 CARDINAL
BIG DOG AND (MEAN LITTLE DOG)
(ALL OUTGOING VIRUS CHECKED)

phil crouch

NW Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/02 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Chris
A lot of parks do offer discounts.. You can join good sam, passport america, and several other membership discount programs.. if you are a senior citizen, then other discounts may apply..
Even if campgrounds do offer discounts for camping without hookups, you will still find plenty of us that like to stop at wally world or other places late in the evening, because they are easier to find at night, and easy to get into and leave from early the next morning..
We usually quit driving early in the day, so a campground is where we go, but on those rare occasions when we do travel late into the evening, then it's wallmart for us.. We just refuse to pay full price for a few hours sleep..
phil

mombum

Chattanooga, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/02 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The guy asked a sensible question and the only se nsible replies he received were from Phil Crouch and Jerry from Texas. Be nice to your fellow RV'ers; flaming only serves to stop people from asking questions or making replies.

Time's a wastin'

mombum
'00 Winnebago Journey DP
'02 Saturn
'00 Red Dachsie, Molly

taylor10

S.E. Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/02 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MOMBUM It didn't seem to stop you! I didn't ask what you thought of my reply. And I didn't flame anybody. I answered him just as I would if I were standing in front of him. And by the way I agree with the point he is making but he didn't ask if I agreed. He ask "why" he had to pay full price and thats what I answered. You don't score my replies and I won't score yours. You didn't even offer a thought on what he asked anyway. All you did was judge other peoples reply.

Florida Cracker

Titusville FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/02 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do I get charged full price for a haircut? All my barber has to do is trim around my ears. [emoticon]

Bill

(And one spoiled rotten little dog)

colo_crawdad

Colorado, United States

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/02 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris__0,

I had the same question until my wife explained it this way. "Prior to our having a motorhome, we stayed in motels. The motel NEVER asked us what facilities (shower, pool, weight room) we planned to use, they just charged a set rate for the room. Nor, did they charge by the hour (at least not the ones my wife stayed in). Maintaining a campground is somewhat like maintaining a motel -- the charge is just considerably lower per stay." I could find no real good answer to that logic. Hope this helps in understanding.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/02 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Taylor10's first reply put it in great perspective. Same applies if you go to a grocery store, buy a dozen eggs, but only use 10 before the go out of code. You don't go back to the grocery store and ask for your money back on the two eggs you were unable to eat. I only have three in my family-at least 50% of the campgrounds I go to base their rates on a family of four. If I willingly go there, it's not their fault if I only have three people in my party. Their fixed costs don't change based on how long someone occupies a particular spot, and they have to account for that, plus what others have said about stealing, etc. It's just like paying taxes-I don't use many of the programs they go for (at least not yet!) but someday I might have to and I'd like them to be there for me if needed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

powerstroke

Westminster, Maryland 21157

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/02 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe this is over simplified but that's just the way the business is. Have you ever had that kind of service at a hotel or motel?

Powerstroke F250 4X4 CC, 2001 COUGAR 5VER 279EFS

chipperskipper

Xenia, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We try to plan the driving parts of our trips and know the destination for the evening. This has worked well for us, and we get the opportunity to relax and enjoy the end of the day.

So far, we have boondocked at Wally World only one time. This was after driving around West Virginia for about 12 hours - missed turns in the mountains as we didn't have a good map with us - on a major holiday.

We had no reservations anywhere, so at 11PM we pulled into a Wally World and stayed the night. It was a great convenience and we will do that again, but will not abuse the hospitality of the WalMarts.

Randy and Mary Brown - Xenia, Ohio

2002 Winnebago Minnie 24F
2000 CRV in tow
Travel with our canine companion animals,
Chloe and Henry.

guitarman

Winston-Salem, NC,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/02 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with the hotel analogy. They charge the same rate regardless of check in time and regardless of what facilities you use. At least as an RVer you have the option of parking at a WalMart or rest area to sleep for no charge. Other travelers don't have that option.

Mike and Christine Villano
2008 Toyota Tundra
2013 Palomino SolAire Eclipse 297RLDS
Sheltie, Charlotte
Daschund, Dapple

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Why Do We Have To Pay Full Price ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.