RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Why Do We Have To Pay Full Price ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Why Do We Have To Pay Full Price ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCRJIM

Henderson, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some highend hotels are now charging a "facilities" charge, added on your bill when you check out, to cover the use of the facilities, whether you use them or not. And, you are not told about them until check out. Reservations quotes a price and wham....

But, back to the thread...

Sure, you are entitled to a discount because you check in late.... At the same time, you expect someone be available to check you in.

As other posts stated, the campground costs go on on a 24/7 basis...

If you feel you are getting ripped off, stop earlier and enjoy the park!

As far as check out time goes, it's required to cover reservations and to allow time to inspect the spot to make sure it's clean for the next guest. Most will allow you to stay longer if you ask first.

Happy Travels.

Ames

South Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/02 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris except for some electricity it costs the campground owner the same $$$'s to have that site available for you if you stay on it for 24 hours or 1 hour. I am thankful that campgrounds are available 7 days a week and I get to make an economic decision by paying the asking price if I want to stay there.

Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat
97 Beaver Patriot 40 Kitchen Slide
330 HP Member FMCA, BAC, Good Sam, CAT RV Club
Toad 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD Hemi

Hesaskip

Bay Minette, Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you going to use half the water next morning for a shower, only dump half your black water, half your grey water? The power is another issue since it would be the less. Maybe the county will only charge him for half his sites at the end of the year in taxes. Maybe the owner can get his insurance company to charge him half since we only stay there a few hours and probably won't have an accident in that length of time. All his maintenance vehicles would probably consider not beaking down and also reduce their wear and tear.
Come on man, it cost to run a business!

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/02 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see so many folks respond in favor in campground owners, especially since I am an anti-Walmart camper.

No offense to original poster but.....here is someone hauling around a couple of hundred grand worth of recreation equipment wondering how to save 10 bucks. Go figure.

CajunOnTheMove

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think just as hotels and other businesses have had to do over time CGs will also adapt to demand. Some time awhile back the motel industry realized people wanted a bit more convenience and amenity in motels at a reasonable price. Now all over the country you see "suite" hotels with microwaves couches refrigerators and much more. Yet at a smaller price. But yet not a "suite" of the olden days with lavish furnishings and separate bedrooms etc...As more and more park at walmarts and other places CGs will see a demand and meet it in time. Now to answer the question directly let me start by saying this has come up many times in the past usually on walmart threads. As I have stated here before I once was charged full price for an overflow lot when I arrived at 4AM and moved into the main lot at 9AM.
One CG owner I found to be friendly and talkative once started talking about this subject and I told him mine and others feelings about not using a full 24 hr. period or all the services. His reply was that he charged for the site for one hour. Every additional hour up to 24 and every service (electric water cable sewer etc..) was free! Obviously this wasn't the first time he had a discussion about this...LOL

*This Message was edited on 08-Jul-02 09:44 PM by CajunOnTheMove*

Becky in CA

Monte Sereno, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/02 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate,
You need to go RE-figure. How many people on this board own rigs that cost "a couple hundred grand", and when was the last time you actually paid $10.00 for a night at a private campground?

It's a tad bit arrogant to think that everyone here should spend their money exactly like you do. So what if someone wants to save money once in a while on a parking space for a few hours?

Becky Yoder
2001 Monaco Dynasty
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

taylor10

S.E. Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/02 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Cajun is right. I think someday that some campgrounds will see they are losing money from people that stay at Wal Mart or rest areas. I know if I owned a campground I would want part of your money instead of none of your money. I would set aside a spot for overnighters/shortstays and get what I could. As far as the cost of rigs vs saving money, I don't know how many people I see that have $30,0000 bass boats and won't spend $10.00 to get the lights hooked up on the trailer.

2002 F-350 Powerstroke CC DRW LWB
2003 Cardinal 29wble
Tekonsha Sentinel
Hijacker Hitch

"> Remember....20 years from now
today will be one of the
"GOOD OLE DAYS"! ">

Becky in CA

Monte Sereno, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/02 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taylor10, I think you have it right. There is obviously alot of people that want to spend most of their vacation at their destination and need to hurry and just get there. There is a large segment of the population that is not retired and they don't have all the time in the world to leisurely get there. Quick overnight stops and get back on the road is just one method of traveling. It's not wrong, it's not the only right way -- it is just one way.

Campground owners can either ignore this segment of the traveling population and be defensive and explain why it is impossible to accomodate them, or the forward thinking CG owners who are able to come up with innovative business plans can capitalize on it. We'll see what happens!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Why Do We Have To Pay Full Price ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.