|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rebuild is moving forward! pj

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/15 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MARCH 4, 2015...drop off day

Here's the last shot of her on the truck before heading to Lentz.
[image]

Sitting in the shop...she is the first TC to be worked on after the fire at the facility...fire was caused by a MH short in the wiring which was sitting inside the other shop.
[image]
[image]

This is sort of scary to think are they going to do what I really want, got to rememeber they have been doing this for decades...it is going to be so much better. I am ordering marine escape hatch, repalcemnet windows and Smartplug and Maxair Delux.

IT IS STARTED, REALLY!!!!

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/15 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any Chance that you will have them delete the front cab over window? Especially in wet country, they seem to be a leak magnet... Just my two cents...
Good Luck!
Garry

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/15 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garryk6 wrote:

Any Chance that you will have them delete the front cab over window? Especially in wet country, they seem to be a leak magnet... Just my two cents...
Good Luck!
Garry

NEVER FEAR IT IS GONE!!!!! Eliminating the pass thru also and replacing with a small view port just for security look out purposes (gun port) LOL!!

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/15 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is Friday, two days after I dropped it off...they have made good progress. Actually I am amazed at the rot damage but not surprised it was not more extensive on the overhang driver's side.
[image]
[image]

You may notice 3 holes in the lower white sytrofoam about 2"...we have no idea what they are for. Mike said it was probably when they put in the foam. I told him I put in the foam and I used 4 holes the size of my finger to install the expanding foam. BTW, it came out in one piece and was not wet and had filled the area in the nose.
[image]

This is the front nose skin...note the metal portion that was at the tight radius of the nose. That was next to my expandable foam. It shows that some things we do are actually very good even so we cannot see the results.
[image]

Front wall looks good except for the jack corner next to the slide. That window will be eliminated and repaced with a small security view port.
[image]

Wing is rotted. It is very wet and can squeeze the water out. Looks like water got in at the hole for the phone and cable as well as the moldings.
[image]

The slide is out.
[image]

* This post was last edited 03/06/15 03:37pm by pjay9 *   View edit history

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/15 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. You really are going to town on the old Lance.
Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/15 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen that twice in my own shop. You most likely willhave a stronger camper when repaired. We glued, screwed, and nailed putting ours back together with denser wood than used in the original.

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/15 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I intend to chornicle this process and maybe have thread that addresses certain issues...not sure...will see how it unfolds. I am looking forward to having a better TC that is suited to our use. I only want to do this once. I don't mind anyone making suggestions. I have a list of items to accomplish.

Today I settled on the forward escape hatch. It will be a Vetus Mag 6363SL, looks like I'll get it from Defender Marine.

I hope I can get a replacement kit for the fabric over the slide with the Alumaguard wrap from Carefree, no price yet! Suppliers to call would be helpful.

BTW, upon initial examination the slide gears and rails all look in good shape, need to be cleaned and lubed.

* This post was edited 03/06/15 11:35pm by pjay9 *

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/15 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Positive items uncovered during your tear down are always good motivators to continue.

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/15 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like this is going to cost a bundle! Would it not be better top simply sell it "as is" and find another one?

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2018 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
420w Solar / Bogart SC2030 / Trimetrics

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/15 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would have thought getting a newer unit would be right...it just didn't pencil out. There is anoter tread on this, just can't find it. With what a newer one gives us compared to the old rebuilt was not worth it as well...I had done so much to make it livable for long term, plus we could find one that had the storage inside like this 1161. Plus the finishes of the new ones does not compare. Plus when I am done I will know how this all went together...One last thing the rebuild should be about half the cost of a newer used unit...don't want another mortgage!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rebuild is moving forward! pj
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS