|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Warning - Firearm Carriers - Avoid New Jersey

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/15 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are carrying anything that looks like a firearm - Avoid New Jersey at all cost.

They are a no-holds-barred anti-gun state. It seems that there is nothing you can do to travel in the state with any weapon, no matter what it is or how it is carried. News story of the latest.

This is only the latest. There have been a string of such cases. I expect and suspect that this will not be the last. It is not just hand guns, as a man moving into the state was stopped with a AR in the trunk, and they had to ruin his life.

Even with New York as bad as it is, they seem to still be sort of rational there. But personally (yes, this is just my opinion) I would say avoid New Jersey at all cost and do not linger in New York if you are not Book Sure that what you may be carrying is legal for someone without a state license to posses in that state.

Yes, it appears there is no Second Amendment in New Jersey any more.

Moderator: If you feel that this is political, delete it. As it states no party bias, I do not feel it is so, but that can be your call.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/15 06:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mod, my request is that you leave it but possibly close it to comments. It's valuable information as many on here do carry firearms for various reasons.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Hank MI

Brighton, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/15 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Federal law says you have the right to transport a firearm from state A to state B so long as you have the legal right to posses that firearm in both states.

Now you have to look at the laws in the states you'll be passing through, between states A and B. In the glovebox does not usually qualify as an inaccessible place. In a car the trunk is best option. In a MH, unloaded and secured with a lock works. So long as you follow the laws for transporting a firearm in those inbetween states federal law says you're okay.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/15 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems Federal law (2nd Amendment) should trump state law. Interesting post, so probably a good one to follow.

Lakeside

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/15 06:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is New Jersey a state? [emoticon]

Just Kidding.

* This post was edited 02/19/15 06:52am by Dog Folks *

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/15 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

handgunlaw.us and opencarry.org are two good sources of info on this subject. Good forums that are state specific too. You don't need to sign up to read. There are a few states that I will not enter or spend my money in because of this very thing. No freedom no money. It is totally irrational that by the mere crossing of a state line you become an instant criminal when you are fully vetted and licensed by another state to carry. I have finger prints on file along with my photo and had an FBI background check performed to be able to exercise a god given (unalienable) right. Land of the free and home of the brave. OK.......

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/15 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is very difficult for responsible owners to keep up with all the lunacy from state to state.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mabynack

Panama City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/15 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I plan my trip I try to study up on state and local gun laws for places I'm going to go through. Maryland has some weird policies, as do NY, NJ, Washington DC, Illinois in general and Chicago in particular. Last year a woman in NJ was jailed for having one hollow point bullet in her possession.

Many states now have state laws that prohibit local jurisdictions from enacting stricter laws. It makes it a little easier to keep track of the laws than if you have to comply with odd laws from every county, parish, town, and city that you'll pass through.

geotex1

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/15 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks, heed the warning! Though I spent a lot of time out of this State, I was born and raised here and live and work here at this time. Yes, I am a firearms owner, I hold a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID, I was a competitive shooter and I moonlight as a firearms instructor being a certified instructor since the 1980s. I can carry concealed in 34 states after PA's AG decided to make a mess of things, and I have been cleared by the Federal government for sensitive sites and information. All of that doesn't mean a hill of beans in my home state, which transformed into this over the years because I remember Sundays in the summertime in my little home town meant heading off to church and enjoying the brunch picnic after and then heading over to the rifle range for youth competition and the whole town was there! Yeah, that was some time ago... Anyway, if you don't live here and understand the intricacies and complexities of our NJ firearms laws, you can find yourself on the wrong side of it in a hurry! Be conscious to what PA has done as well if you don't have a resident concealed carry that PA has written reciprocity with. In fact, be conscious of MD, DC, DE, NY, and CT too!!!

Stay safe, travel safe, and happy camping!

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/15 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes please leave the post.

When I went full time I spent weeks going to different gun ranges to ask if they had any printed info about what I could legally 'transport in my RV' as I traveled.

NO ONE could give me any printed info definitively showing me if I would legal.

I could not find any laws that addressed guns being transported in a motor home situation. Or any printed info showing each states laws before I headed out. And I was told by many that the state laws change all the time.

If you are traveling thru a state that bans them on the way to a relatives house etc., you simply leave your guns at home.

What are RV'ers that travel supposed to do with them when traveling 'thru' a state that bans them?

I gave up and I ended up leaving all my guns behind.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Warning - Firearm Carriers - Avoid New Jersey
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.